'Shark Tank's' Kevin O'Leary to run for Conservative leadership in Canada

Kevin O'leary is just Canadian Donald Trump. Don't understand why people want money grubbing rich assholes with no political experience and zero knowledge of normal non rich lives to be our leaders.

To be fair to O'Leary, he is the son of an immigrant family and he had to work incredibly hard to get to where he is currently. The same cannot be said of Justin Trudeau. What I find interesting is that Trudeau supporters will look past the fact that Justin is a privileged spoiled brat completely out of touch with the average Canadian and reality, but will aggressively condemn a man who had to work to earn his wealth.

My thoughts on him : the guy can't speak two sentences of French and he grew up in Montreal FFS.... A city in which pretty everything you read outside, from stop signs to fuckin commercial slogans, is in French, and in which unless you live under a rock, you are likely to hear at least some French every day.

These unilingual anglophones from Québec are the worst possible breed to me,because it means that they lived next to me their whole life, without even having the curiosity to learn to communicate with me. If they speak to me it will be on their term it seems. I can respect the fact that they don't like me, but I can't help but laugh at people like O leary that simply CAN'T speak even a minimum of French. Isn't that something that you pick up by being exposed to it ?

They can't say the same thing about me since I speak English.

Anyways, it just shows that two neighbors should not live under the same roof.

French speakers don't want to make efforts for English speakers and vice versa. Which would be fine if there was a demographic equilibrium between the 2 groups but it is not the case. Therefore the Québécois will always be undermined.

And it's too bad for the reasonable people, but for one Dontsnitch there are 5 of the "omg they want us to like speak French like omg so fascist like omg, etc."- variety, as is illustrated by the incredibly dumb comments one can read here everytime the subject is brought up.

I think the days of Quebec separating are behind us, or better stated, there was a greater chance of separation some years ago. Wasn't the vote very close at one point? But you know what? It would grieve me a lot if Quebec left. You guys are Canadian, man.

@2DUM2TAP thoughts on a PM needing to speak both English and French?

My thoughts on him : the guy can't speak two sentences of French and he grew up in Montreal FFS.... A city in which pretty everything you read outside, from stop signs to fuckin commercial slogans, is in French, and in which unless you live under a rock, you are likely to hear at least some French every day.

These unilingual anglophones from Québec are the worst possible breed to me,because it means that they lived next to me their whole life, without even having the curiosity to learn to communicate with me. If they speak to me it will be on their term it seems. I can respect the fact that they don't like me, but I can't help but laugh at people like O leary that simply CAN'T speak even a minimum of French. Isn't that something that you pick up by being exposed to it ?

They can't say the same thing about me since I speak English.

Anyways, it just shows that two neighbors should not live under the same roof.

French speakers don't want to make efforts for English speakers and vice versa. Which would be fine if there was a demographic equilibrium between the 2 groups but it is not the case. Therefore the Québécois will always be undermined.

And it's too bad for the reasonable people, but for one Dontsnitch there are 5 of the "omg they want us to like speak French like omg so fascist like omg, etc."- variety, as is illustrated by the incredibly dumb comments one can read here everytime the subject is brought up.

He spoke in large about his childhood and from the looks of it he left the province fairly young to live abroad for several years. According to him he was fluently bilingual before leaving but lost his ability to speak French. I don't blame him for that.

Your arguments for a sovereign Quebec though are unimpressive. You give the usual simplistic arguments I keep hearing but the reality remains that Quebec's economy and public spending depend immensely on federal transfers who, in turns, gets a lot of Alberta oil money. Add the fact that Quebec's debt is astronomically high, it isn't a recipe for much success.

Canada also needs Quebec for geoeconomic reasons. Having a split Canada makes having trade routes from the prairies to the maritimes difficult.

There is no scenario that makes any sense for neither Quebec or Canada to part ways with each other. We will just have to learn how to get along.

He spoke in large about his childhood and from the looks of it he left the province fairly young to live abroad for several years. According to him he was fluently bilingual before leaving but lost his ability to speak French. I don't blame him for that.

Your arguments for a sovereign Quebec though are unimpressive. You give the usual simplistic arguments I keep hearing but the reality remains that Quebec's economy and public spending depend immensely on federal transfers who, in turns, gets a lot of Alberta oil money. Add the fact that Quebec's debt is astronomically high, it isn't a recipe for much success.

Canada also needs Quebec for geoeconomic reasons. Having a split Canada makes having trade routes from the prairies to the maritimes difficult.

There is no scenario that makes any sense for neither Quebec or Canada to part ways with each other. We will just have to learn how to get along.

Pretty good breakdown.

This would warrant its separate, comprehensive thread, which I have been planning to make for a while btw.

kevinoleary11032014-c2346243.jpeg
enhanced-17159-1423068265-32.jpg

Make way for Maxime.

It boils down to Canadians have better selection than just Hillary or Trump -- Holy fuck what an abysmal choice to have to make

On social policies he was as far left as any liberal candidate but on economic policies he was far on the right, I agree.

Problem is I do question his integrity. He screams phony and opportunist to me. Cuban is the only Shark Tank VC I can see leading politically. Same dynamic as the show: O'Leary pretends he knows and can do everything and Cuban is there to correct O'Leary's course.

Being socially on the left and fiscally on the right is a death sentence for any politician (aka being rational).

Feel the Bern!!! Maxime Bernier, that is.

Back