Shadow Boxing with Hammers

Noodles03

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Boxing coach Rob Pilger has his fighters shadow box while holding hammers as part of there routine and I'm curious to know if you guys do the same thing and do you guys think it is something worth doing. Thank you.

Looks like he's good for the apocalypse

There are a billion different useful training exercises, and you could probably invent 10 new ones off the top of your head in less than a minute. This one is useful, or you could do squats or something instead. It's up to you and what you need to work on.

I had one instructor who had me doing this with indian clubs whilst bouncing on a tire.

>not balancing a stack of books on your head at the same time too

GOML

When doing JKA Shotokan as a teen I remember we had to do an exercise of punching while moving forward in a stance with an empty yogurt pot on top of our head. We had to move forward and punch while not dropping the yogurt from our head...

When doing JKA Shotokan as a teen I remember we had to do an exercise of punching while moving forward in a stance with an empty yogurt pot on top of our head. We had to move forward and punch while not dropping the yogurt from our head...

did your sensei tell you what the purpose of the empty yogurt pot on top of your head for besides training your head to be immobile - hence an easier target for a counterstrike.

did your sensei tell you what the purpose of the empty yogurt pot on top of your head for besides training your head to be immobile - hence an easier target for a counterstrike.

It was when practising kata not during kumite/sparring, so counterstrikes were not really considered.

The purpose was to keep our head and stance on the same level while moving around in Zenkutsu Dachi instead of moving our head up and down at every step. It was also to train us to execute a very precise and controlled kata instead of something that looks messy. From my old memories in Shotokan we were taught that you're more likely to lose balance and get swept if you're in a high stance. I'm convinced the real purpose of that exercise was to make us work our legs more, especially our thighs, as we were staying and moving around in a low stance for a long period of time.

That's the stance I'm talking about:

zenkutsu-dachi-front-stance.jpg

migi%20zenkutsu%20dachi%20side%20view%20Kyokushinkai.jpg

Why hammers instead of free weights I wonder

Same here. Seems impractical to have the long handles jutting out.

I use simple 2 lb weights, which work great. They look like these:

A00Y_1_20130826157918720.jpg

It is good for working on speed and strength, and using weights like those above will also allow for a larger array of strikes to be practiced, not just straights.

You can focus on how the weight moves through the air to improve your transfer of energy and how you bring the momentum to bear at the correct times during the striking motion. It helps you learn how to swing that fist as if it's a hammer.

I hope they dont spar with them even lightly. Come to think of it, I wonder how our ancestors trained for using warhammers in battle.

I hope they dont spar with them even lightly. Come to think of it, I wonder how our ancestors trained for using warhammers in battle.

You find a solid target and actually start hitting it.

Really good exercise btw, i highly recommend it. Really blasts your core and gets your hips working, plus working your grip, forearms, and shoulders. One of the best ways to condition your stability muscles and rotational power generation.

Last edited:
You find a solid target and start swinging at it.

Really good exercise btw, i highly recommend it. Really blasts your core and gets your hips working, plus working your grip, forearms, and shoulders. One of the best ways to condition your stability muscles and rotational power generation.

I meant live training.

I meant live training.

Well when your beatstick is heavy enough, being able to swing it in the first place is all you need to get the job done.

For everything else, i imagine some form of point fighting with protective gear and training weapons along with wrestling.

Why hammers instead of free weights I wonder
I think they are using hammers because the weight is unevenly distributed. He said in the vid that one of the points was to help with internal rotation/pronation and turning the wrist over. Holding the hammer like he does, the head of the hammer will force that as it's heavier than the shaft. Dumbbells wouldn't do that the same way. Dunno, but that's my guess.

Either way, don't know how legitimate of a coach he is, and yeah, for the purpose of overcoming resistance, small free weights could be used, or even heavy gloves to a certain extent. Or bands, or wrist weights, or whatever. Probably better to hold something in your hand though as you're working the muscles of the hand too and clenching the fist. Never really used weighted punching.

Back