Sets x Reps - What's Yours?

TehWeak1

Naked eating bacon
@Blue
Reaction score
For my main stuff I use sets of 5 and heavier 3's
I use sets of 8, usually 4x8 for my extra accessory movements.

I chose the 4x8 basically because it gets over 30 reps in total, and it allows me to go a little heavier than sets of 10's or 12's.

Anyone one have thoughts or experiences they'd like to share?

I use 5/3/1 as my first and main lifts. My accessory work is 4x8-12 on hypertrophy days, and 4x4-6 on heavy/ME days (PPLx2 setup)

Last edited:
I use Tactical Barbell. 3-5 sets per lift.
70-75% - 5 reps, 80-85% 5-3 reps, 90-95% 1-3 reps.

I'll be switching over to a different version of one of their templates which includes a strength-endurance day. Basically progressive circuit training. High rep, low intensity (15-25%rm) for 10-50 reps.

Right now im using a 3 day smolov....i plan on using derivitives of it infinitely

Last edited:
I use 12 x1, 6 x2, and 4x3 for main lifts main lifts. I got the Ideal for multiple singles from a recommendation for incorporating oly lifts into 531, and it stuck around longer than 531 did.

Assistance and squats get 5x10 or 3 x 15. I loke the extra volume and Dan John says sets of ten or moread on squats are somehow magical. I tend to agree with him, magical for everything but increasing your 1rm dramatically, then they're only so so. Pullups get double density training (currently working on 5x10). Grip work is all over the map, levering being in the 10-30 reps per set range, pinching being in the 1-20 reps per set range.

Interesting you say that @Urban
When I worked in high rep ranges I rarely saw a transfer to actual strength in terms of max lifts, however it improved my work capacity like nothing else, and it put some size on me, which is really the priority right now. I feel, and I know this is totally subjective that sets of 8 give me an optimum combination of hypertrophy and strength. I might have to work a little harder for both, but I don't have to lose time prioritizing one over the other.

I only use rep schemes that are fibonacci e.g. 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13 etc

Interesting you say that @Urban
When I worked in high rep ranges I rarely saw a transfer to actual strength in terms of max lifts, however it improved my work capacity like nothing else, and it put some size on me, which is really the priority right now. I feel, and I know this is totally subjective that sets of 8 give me an optimum combination of hypertrophy and strength. I might have to work a little harder for both, but I don't have to lose time prioritizing one over the other.
It's not that there's no benefit to my max lifts, just that it's usually fairly minimal. I still like them for other strength athlete related competito though. 20 rep squats always seemed to help strongman performances. But if I were doing them to improve 1 rm on squat I might shoot for a new 10 rm for a couple weeks, then a new 8rm based on the calculated max, for a couple weeks, then 6, 4, 2-3, then 1 rm. To really taper to it. It takes me time just to get used to heavier weights on my back.

Doing mostly sets of 8 right now for the big 3. 4x12 for hypertrophy/accessory.

I used to do low reps but i didn't work for me, can't stand that cns stress with all the specific mma training. I do 3*10 full speed now and I like it. I even dropped the basics and replaced with the explosive counterpart, weighted jumps for squat, power cleans for deadlifts and so on, and upping weight every time I can.

I used to do low reps but i didn't work for me, can't stand that cns stress with all the specific mma training. I do 3*10 full speed now and I like it. I even dropped the basics and replaced with the explosive counterpart, weighted jumps for squat, power cleans for deadlifts and so on, and upping weight every time I can.
At the end of the day if it works for you then its a good routine. Esp. if it doesn't interfere with your sport.

This is going to sound a bit odd, but I pull sumo over conventional because I found conventional taxed my lower too much and I couldn't recover in time for MMA/grappling (within the next few days).

i run 531 with a pretty conservative TM, so my top sets usually 8+
when testing maxes, once warmed up i go singles from relatively low down the scale
for volume, 4-5 sets of 8-15

compounds-
3setsx5 light-medium
2x3 medium-heavy
AMRAP heavy
whateverx3-5 heavy-light

right now I'm doing four sets.
I start at 5x5x5x5
then when that is easy I go to 6x6x5x5 then 6x6x6x6 then 7x7x6x6 and 7x7x7x7 and finally 8x8x7x7 and 8x8x8x8
then I'll add ten-15 pounds and start again from 5x5x5x5.
At this rate it takes me 3 weeks to improve each lift by 12.5 average pounds.

i go crazy with 5x5, its my favourite since i lack size.

im not doing any leg exercise, got a fucked knee, im investigating it

so im doIng only upper body and core lifting.
and hip thrusts for my ASS.

5X5 or 3X5 on bench
7x2 on weighted pullups and 4-6x6-8 on other back exercises
5x5 on ohp or 5x3 and 6x2 on heavier days. 3x10 for hypertrophy with dumbells
4x8 on hip thrusts on delt day.

plus core stuff on bench day.

im doing ABC bro-kind-split while i cant squat or deadlift.

Bench-1x1-2rm
Deadlift-1x2-3rm
Squat-5x5
4-6 different accessories-4x6-12

If only there were a chart based on hundreds of successful strength athletes that could guide you regarding basic questions such as set X reps.

Shits checkers, not chess. Jesus

Prilepins_Table.jpg

try this.

10s x 3r for my mains.

When i have time...10 x 10 for accessory lately.

Back