Serious Movie Discussion XXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recommend these for any and every viewer. By the end of each film you will thank me.

15 titles, no order, different genres, different years all will make you say wow

Gladiator
Armageddon
King Kong
American Gangster
The Town
Saving Private Ryan
Pearl Harbor
Public Enemies
Gangster Squad
A Bronx Tale
Never back down
The Green mile
Warrior
Shawshank Redemption
The Prestige

Some of those movies shouldn't even be lumped I'm with each other.
Never back down if this is the Mma movie, it's horrible. It did make me say wow it disgust.
Random story: I was in a pawn shop looking for old UFC/ pride DVDs and asked an employee if he seen any. He's like "yeah" and brought me that movie. And I immediately shut the idea down and found some old gladiator challenges with the old TUF winners.

Decided to mix it up. Put the noir aside for a bit and watched Anatomy of a Murder which I've had for ages.

Just awesome. From start to finish. I loved how the first third set things up so cleanly for the trial. I loved the ending. Most of all, I loved Stewart. I never felt the length (160 minutes). So pleased.

And how cool was it to see Duke Ellington playing a part? The OST was out of this world.

Since Flem mentioned Judgment at Nuremberg and now I'm itching for another classic courtroom drama, that's next.

Agree big time. One could argue that people prefer different vehicles for messages, but I think where you and I both agree is that when it passes the line from understandable yet debatable to think-whatever-the-fuck-you-want, we call bullshit.

there's a lot that pisses me off about ambiguous art films. What annoys me the most is this perception that people who are making "normal" movies are engaged in some easy process, but being weird and unintelligible is somehow this higher level of talent.

I never made a movie, but i'd have to imagine it'd be a million times harder to write an actual script, find music and frame visuals that complement the ideas of that script, and make it all something that is entertaining to watch. And I have to imagine it's pretty easy to compose nonsense that will get people to scratch their heads.

I do have this available to watch. And will be watching it soon. I think it will help to watch it soon after or just before The Testament of Dr. Mabuse and Fury to see what I prefer.

watching it in proximity to those movies will just make it seem shittier.

Thanks mate. I have seen some Hitchcock, namely Psycho, Vertigo and Rear Window. I have Dial M for Murder handy as well, not yet seen. My favourite thus far has definitely been Rear Window. I could watch your recommendations now as well so don't hold back or anything.

those are the better ones. Dial M for Murder is my favorite Hitchcock, with Rear Window right behind it.

the other one's i've seen are:

The Lady Vanishes
Rebecca
Shadow of a Doubt
Notorious
Rope
Strangers on a Train
North By Northwest
The Birds
Marnie

none of em are bad.

Also, Anatomy of a Murder is another one of my favorites. A similar movie by the same director is Advise and Consent. I dunno which i like better. It's close.

OK so just finished Judgment at Nuremberg.

I think this one will stay with me for days to come. My most intense experience since my recent dive into classic cinema. I'm sure loads has been said about this film on this thread, but I'll just say it elicited real emotion out of me. One of the most powerful cinematic experiences I've had.

And I'll just throw it out there that I think Spencer Tracy (my first experience watching him) towered above the rest of the cast. He seemed simply miles ahead of the rest in his delivery, in his reactions, in the pauses he took before dialogue, in the way he spared intense emotion for intense aspects of dialogue. I really felt I was watching The Master.

watching it in proximity to those movies will just make it seem shittier.

Yeah that's why I suggested I would do it. I would rather know how I really felt about it compared to films I would likely prefer of the same genre. And if I don't find it so bad compared to them, I might realise I don't really dislike it that much. Wonder if that makes sense.

Dial M for Murder is my favorite Hitchcock

I will likely watch this first then since I have it. And then move on to the rest based on well, I don't know what really. I think I'll go next with North by Northwest.

Also, Anatomy of a Murder is another one of my favorites. A similar movie by the same director is Advise and Consent. I dunno which i like better. It's close.

Awesome. Will check this out fo sho.

can you recommend me a good historical film? Ive onle seen a very few but those I really liked. Gladiator is one of my favourites, Lawrence of Arabia was great, and IM watching Spartacus right now & enjoying it.

Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut is one of my favorite movies.

Also watch Master and Commander.

Yeah that's why I suggested I would do it. I would rather know how I really felt about it compared to films I would likely prefer of the same genre. And if I don't find it so bad compared to them, I might realise I don't really dislike it that much. Wonder if that makes sense.

they're not exactly the same genre. Double Indemnity is closer to The Maltese Falcon and Dr. Mabuse/Fury are closer to M.

maybe wait til you get a hold of The Big Sleep to watch Double Indemnity for the effect you desire.

I will likely watch this first then since I have it. And then move on to the rest based on well, I don't know what really. I think I'll go next with North by Northwest.

NxNW is the best out of the ones i listed anyway.

Awesome. Will check this out fo sho.

since you liked Tracy so much (I personally liked Max Schell better) Inherit the Wind is a courtroom drama with Tracy as the defense attorney. Gene Kelly takes off his dancing shoes in this as well, and he ended up being my favorite part.

you've seen 12 Angry Men or no?

maybe wait til you get a hold of The Big Sleep to watch Double Indemnity for the effect you desire.

Nice one. Thanks.

NxNW is the best out of the ones i listed anyway.
Well whaddaya know....

since you liked Tracy so much (I personally liked Max Schell better) Inherit the Wind is a courtroom drama with Tracy as the defense attorney. Gene Kelly takes off his dancing shoes in this as well, and he ended up being my favorite part.

I have this. So this will be next I think. Then probably Fury, TODB, The Big Sleep, Double Indemnity in that order. Then the 2 Hitch, then Ben Hur and GWTW.

I is a man with a plan.

Max Schell was great. The shouting kinda got to me though. He REALLY fucking yelled but I understand that was the part. I'm definitely a fan of restrained acting - early Pacino (Godfather over Heat), Crowe, Tracy clearly though I haven't seen his range just yet. If I had to pick my second favourite performance in JON it would be the guy who played Janning. His eyes killed me.

you've seen 12 Angry Men or no?
Yeah, my number one classic film, though a rewatch may be in order now that The Third Man blew my mind and I've seen more since.

Max Schell was great. The shouting kinda got to me though. He REALLY fucking yelled but I understand that was the part. I'm definitely a fan of restrained acting - early Pacino (Godfather over Heat), Crowe, Tracy clearly though I haven't seen his range just yet.

i dont really have a preference. sometimes less is more, but with a performance like Schell's you can just tell he put his heart and soul into it.

and sometimes i just like to see more of a character than a person. I prefer Pacino in Heat to The Godfather, for example. But Dog Day Afternoon is his crowning achievement IMO.

If I had to pick my second favourite performance in JON it would be the guy who played Janning. His eyes killed me.

that's Burt Lancaster from The Killers. He's a boss.

Somewhere down the line, watch Sweet Smell of Success. It's noirish, has some of the most stylized writing i've seen in classics, and Lancaster's performance is tops. Great movie.

Yeah, my number one classic film

me too.

Dragon I noticed you had Burt Wonder Stone, The Place Beyond The Pines, GI Joe on your "Must Watch" list.
How did you like them?

I've only seen The Place Beyond The Pines and I liked it. It was a love/hate thing since I really like RG as an actor. Maybe not just necessarily as an actor but he just has a presence about him.

GI Joe and Burt Wonderstone should be on Blu=Ray pretty soon so I want to check them out but get your opinion on 'em.

EDIT: No homo.

i dont really have a preference. sometimes less is more, but with a performance like Schell's you can just tell he put his heart and soul into it.

Of course. By no means do I dislike emotional, maybe even louder and more eccentric performances. I do tend to find that a lot of my favourites are older actors who have mellowed.

I haven't seen early Tracy, but in this film I truly felt he was on another level to the others. It's the smallest things. Some of his reactions, they don't even fit the era of the film. He literally seems like the modern man in an older film and essentially that is who he was portraying, the most forward thinking of judges. There's the scene where he just looks down at the floor as Mrs. Bertholtz is going on and on about how the Germans couldn't have known about the atrocities. He made that choice to simply look at the floor. I tend to feel that most other actors of that era would have yelled back or stared at her in consternation. But he seemed to KNOW, that's not how an older judge would react. It was not his place and the script would have said as much. But while he could have yelled that he should not be talking about it at all, he simply made a choice and TOLD her, gently, just like a man of experience would. I loved it.

I'm not sure if you watched Homeland which turned into a shitfest by the end of its second season but was very enjoyable in its first. The two leads, Claire Danes and Damien Lewis received a lot of appreciation for their roles, but the standout for me was Mandy Patinkin in a really measured, wise old man role. I think you believe these actors far more when they DO have an emotional outburst, and he was exactly like that. That's the best example within the same show/film I can think of to explain my relative preferences.

But hey, The Joker was my favourite performance the last decade, so I'm all over the place mang.

But Dog Day Afternoon is his crowning achievement IMO.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before but this is my favourite performance by any actor in any film. I think even objectively, this can be argued for as the one of the best performances EVER. I DO love Lumet though, so that might colour my opinion. For example, I believe Serpico was his next best performance, though I don't think the film was amongst the best I've seen. Dog Day Afternoon is just the shit in every sense.

Fuck. I don't know HOW I didn't realise this.

Somewhere down the line, watch Sweet Smell of Success.

Will do. Thanks again.

Quite liked the millennium films lists idea. Could never restrict mine to ten but here I go:

1) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
2) The Dark Knight
3) Lost in Translation
4) Man on Wire
5) Drive
6) The Lives of Others
7) Animal Kingdom
8) Looper
9) In Bruges
10) Take Shelter

Fuck. That was painful.

The rest were:

11) The Bourne Identity
12) A Prophet
13) Collateral
14) Let the Right One In
15) The Fog of War
16) About a Boy
17) Life of Pi
18) Gone Baby Gone
19) Senna
20) The Man from Earth
21) Michael Clayton
22) The Prestige
23) Zodiac
24) The Guard
25) Up in the Air
26) Sideways
27) Beginners
28) Brokeback Mountain
29) Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter… and Spring
30) There Will be Blood

Last edited:
favourite films of the millenium? There are probably tons of good/great films I havent seen yet, but from my limited experience:

1A.) There Will Be Blood
1B.) Tree Of Life
3.) Mulholland Drive
4.) Gladiator
5.) City Of God
6.) Django Unchained
7.) The Master
8.) Y Tu mama Tambien
9.) Kill Bill vol.2
10.) Shame

I rated only these 10 movies 10/10on imdb post-2000.

Honorable mention would go to: The Intouchables, The Departed, Life of Pi, Black Swan, To The Wonder, The Hurt Locker, Amelie, True Grit, Drive...god why are there so many great movies?

Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut is one of my favorite movies.

Also watch Master and Commander.

thank you, i will check these out

For the first hour, Prometheus was shaping up to be a super cool movie. By the end of the second hour, it ended up a big fat turd. Flem, you've always called the ending of 2001 a cop out, but you know something, Prometheus, now that's a fucking cop out.

Ridley Scott spends all that time building up that shit with the Engineers, spends all that energy devoted to questioning the origins of humanity, and then it turns out that's just a MacGuffin and it's nothing more than a less-than-thrilling "end of the world" thriller? Newsflash about MacGuffins: They're not supposed to be important. Nobody gives a shit about microfilm when Cary Grant is running away from airplanes and scaling Mount Rushmore, but Jesus Christ, you're leading up to providing answers to all of life's unanswerables and then you just leave it hanging like it's as insignificant as a wine bottle with plutonium?

Could've been an epic sci-fi saga but instead it turned into a stupid and boring movie with nothing to show for it by the end except a baby alien that just leads to a mediocre film franchise.

Did you actually like Prometheus, Flem, or were you just curious what I'd think?

off the top of my head , the top 10 would be:

Inception
Looper
Inglourious Basterds
3:10 to Yuma
Let the Right One In
Kill Bill
Kill Bill 2
Cloverfield

...and then it would stop being off the top of my head.

I know we both dug 3:10 to Yuma, but damn, I didn't know you thought that highly of it.

The idea was that it was Penn's character reflecting on his life after the anniversary of his brother's death.

That structuring principle never even crossed my mind. Too little of it made sense for even the stuff that should've been clear to make any sense :redface:

All I really care about is the family stuff in a vacuum. I just ignore everything else.

Again, haphazard structuring. Malick should've focused in on one single strand: Either we're telling the story of a kid experiencing life in a highly flammable family environment courtesy of his volcanic father, or we're telling the story of a man who's life is full of regrets who doesn't know how to see the potential for greatness in his family rather than his own failures, or we're telling the story of a woman having a crisis of faith as she is forced to acknowledge the fractured status of her fantasy of domestic bliss, or we're telling the story of a man late in his life reflecting on his childhood in an effort to make the most out of what time he has left with his father and/or mother, or we're telling the story of the evolution of the universe and how cosmic and/or divine forces function in the spinning of the universal story of Life.

All of that shit randomly bouncing around inside of one two-and-a-half hour movie bubble is like that bouncy ball scene in Men in Black, it's just pure chaos and everything gets destroyed.

can you recommend me a good historical film?

25rj96e.jpg

The Killers was fantastic.

Glad you found another classic you enjoy. I was surprised myself when I finally got around to it just how awesome it really was, very high up on my list of films noir.

M (1931)

Surprisingly, I liked this even more than The Killers.

Great film, no denying that, but pretty low on my list of Fritz Lang movies. Metropolis, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse, Fury, Hangmen Also Die!, and The Big Heat are all better, IMO, though that's not really a criticism of M so much as it is an indication of just how great Lang is and how many great films that man made in his career. Even his "lesser" films like Sigfried, You Only Live Once, Man Hunt, Ministry of Fear, The Woman in the Window, The Blue Gardenia, and While the City Sleeps are all great, too.

Touch of Evil

Surprised you didn't like this one. A really marvelous exercise in noir filmmaking, IMO, and another showcase for Welles' genius.

While The Maltese Falcon and The Killers get confusing at the end, this stayed confusing throughout.

Funny enough, I think the script is the best part and Welles' greatest achievement was not only having so much going on, but making sure it was easy to follow and it all came together in the end. And a word of warning: If you thought Touch of Evil was weird and confusing, The Lady from Shanghai will really throw you :icon_chee

On one hand Orson Welles is doing this fantastic job of acting like a complete scumbag, on the other there is this totally difficult-to-buy romance between Leigh and Heston.

That juxtaposition worked perfectly, the lovey-dovey shit sets the audience up for both Heston (by virtue of his working with Welles) and Leigh (by virtue of her being dragged into that world by being Heston's wife) to experience the horrific underbelly of humanity. Leigh's terrifying ordeal in the motel is made all the more terrifying because it contrasts so sharply with what we'd seen previously.

I could see the elements of greatness, but on the whole I didn't enjoy it very much.

It's tough to "enjoy" in the same way as one enjoys something like The Maltese Falcon since Welles dwells so deeply in the morass of mankind and the aesthetic is so grimy and bizarre, but I definitely enjoy Welles' craftsmanship.

Sunset Blvd.

I hate this movie. Wait until you see What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, then you'll see how that movie was supposed to be done :wink:

Well, I'm not sure my stance has softened after your response, but I do appreciate your taking the time to address my critiques.

I didn't mean for that to sound like I was setting out to make you change your mind. I was just pointing out that I understand where you're coming from because I had a friend who had a similar response.

My whole issue was that when everything political is put aside, the Bane-Batman rivalry comes down to one thing - sheer physicality. I really was disappointed that THIS was how Bane was "superior" to Batman at the start of the film, and was eventually how Batman defeats Bane. Again, I'm comparing it to TDK, and perhaps unfairly, but in Nolan's world I preferred the idea of an intellectual or philosophical basis for enmity.

You're criticizing the lack of a philosophical basis in The Dark Knight Rises when the philosophical basis is the reason I think The Dark Knight Rises is so fantastic!

With Batman/Bane, it's MUCH more than just a battle of physical wills, it's a battle of spiritual wills. I mentioned earlier how Bane served as a doppelganger, but even more to the point, Bane is sort of a cautionary tale. From the mask to the dark avenger persona to the traumatic past, he is Batman, only as he says in the beginning, Batman only adopted the dark, whereas Bane is darkness. What Batman needed to do was stop dwelling in that dark place Bane calls home (and that Lacan would call "between-two-deaths") and learn to (re)embrace the light, the light of life (which Lacan would call the "death drive").

Battling Bane on his level, clinging to death, clinging to hopelessness, allowing anger to fuel him, that will lead nowhere but the grave, and only at the depths of his despair does Batman learn that's not what he wants. At the beginning of the film, that's all he seems to want, just waiting to die and content to waste away, but then he accomplishes the step Bane never accomplished and finds the way to overcome Bane physically, and that's to overcome him spiritually, to embrace hope and life, and only then does he have the power to conquer Bane's physicality and, metaphorically, his overwhelming darkness.

That's MUCH more compelling for me than a knucklehead in make-up running around making up ethical games for Batman to play, but that's just me.

It was so attractive in TDK to know that, very much as the Joker put it, nothing to do with Batman's strength could scare him.

That's why I didn't much care for that rivalry. All Batman had to do was kill him---and there was nothing the Joker could've done to stop him---and the movie would've been over and all the trouble that he caused would've been avoided. In The Dark Knight Rises, even if Batman wanted to kill Bane, he couldn't, which made everything about him that much more terrifying. Not only does Batman have to play his games because of his "code," but even if he abandoned his code, which he could've done at any point with the Joker, it still wouldn't have helped him against Bane, who posed a much tougher challenge for Batman because he had to use everything he could muster up not just intellectually, not just physically, not just ethically, but spiritually, as well. So much more was at stake and so much more was required of Bruce/Batman in The Dark Knight Rises, which made for more entertaining and enthralling viewing for me.

I'm sure you're right. As long as you knew what I meant.....

No worries, I got it.

Well, TDK was not initially made viewing it as the second in a series of three, so I'm not sure I agree with this

I thought he viewed it as a trilogy, if not from the start then at least around the time of The Dark Knight? Am I wrong on that one?

think you'll probably feel the same way about Double Indemnity if you watch that.

Agree with Flem here, and in case you didn't notice, Ricky, both this one and Sunset Blvd. are Billy Wilder films, and I personally am not a big fan of his.

nothing takes advantage of b&w more than film noir and german expressionism imo. you're watching some of the movies that are most mindful of the color scheme.

And even beyond German Expressionism, noir has the most stylistic lighting in film history. The Third Man is a great example of that, though the best example of B&W lighting is The Night of the Hunter, a movie you should definitely put high up on your list, Ricky, no matter what Flem says about it :wink:

there are old movies in color too. most don't look as good as b&w, but there's plenty of great ones. when you're ready for that, i'll bust out Hitchcock's arsenal.

Gone With the Wind and Ben Hur are probably the two best-looking oldies in color.

Leave Her to Heaven is another cool color classic, and it's another film noir, too, so Ricky, if you're curious, check out the titular star of Laura (Gene Tierney, arguably the most stunning of all the classic beauties) doing the psycho girlfriend thing in Technicolor :icon_chee

So I've been lurking through the whole thread today at work.
Bullit seemed to have similar tastes in movies as I. So I decided to watch The Pool Boys and omg that sucked. I like Matthew Lillard also. I even like him on 13 ghosts haha.

I always love those types of summer movies, especially since it reminded me of Private Resort, a childhood classic for me. Sorry if I steered you wrong :redface:

i dont like lillard - had to bite my tongue before. even just watching scream as a kid, i knew i just hated everything about his goofy ass.

iUSVahCUUigGo.gif

I can't believe you didn't even like him in Scream. He's the shit in most of what I've seen him in. Even in She's All That, he's the best part and he's barely in it.

It will be quite difficult for me to go from this sort of coherent film-making to Bergman or Tarkovsky again. I think it might be years before I can get into that mindset again, especially considering there's so much classic cinema I have yet to see.

I don't really care if you end up liking art cinema, but I just have to point out that it's really not accurate to lump Bergman in with the type of films you're talking about. A lot of Bergman's films have very clear themes and they are frequently explored very clearly and coherently. It was really only a few films in the mid-to-late-60s where Bergman flirted with the more extreme tendencies of art cinema, and while he did it better than anyone, it's wrong to take those experiments as indicative of his preferred storytelling style.

I have seen some Hitchcock, namely Psycho, Vertigo and Rear Window. I have Dial M for Murder handy as well, not yet seen. My favourite thus far has definitely been Rear Window. I could watch your recommendations now as well so don't hold back or anything.

I think Vertigo is his best and just one of the best films ever made, but that dude's filmography is fucking littered with greatness, it's just all over that man's career from beginning to end. It's VERY hard to find a dud in his filmography.

Decided to mix it up. Put the noir aside for a bit and watched Anatomy of a Murder which I've had for ages.

Another awesome choice, not very well-known but damn good. Otto Preminger is a very famous name in film history, and he's also the one who did Laura, Fallen Angel, and Where the Sidewalk Ends, all of which are more cool films noir.

Also:

A similar movie by the same director is Advise and Consent. I dunno which i like better. It's close.

Agree with this. Both are very underrated and both are damn good movies.

OK so just finished Judgment at Nuremberg.

I think this one will stay with me for days to come. My most intense experience since my recent dive into classic cinema. I'm sure loads has been said about this film on this thread, but I'll just say it elicited real emotion out of me. One of the most powerful cinematic experiences I've had.

And I'll just throw it out there that I think Spencer Tracy (my first experience watching him) towered above the rest of the cast. He seemed simply miles ahead of the rest in his delivery, in his reactions, in the pauses he took before dialogue, in the way he spared intense emotion for intense aspects of dialogue. I really felt I was watching The Master.

If Robert De Niro never came around, Spencer Tracy would've gone down as the greatest actor of all-time, IMO, and even with De Niro, he's closer than anybody else. He really, truly is a master, and I'm glad you connected to his performance here.

When you're ready for a Tracy kick, let me know and I'll have a shitload of stuff from him for you to watch.

If you want more Tracy, Inherit the Wind is a great next step. The best performance of his career, IMO, and one of the best ever given by anybody.

Somewhere down the line, watch Sweet Smell of Success. It's noirish, has some of the most stylized writing i've seen in classics, and Lancaster's performance is tops. Great movie.

I was wondering how long it would take you to get to Mr. Lancaster. Speaking of whom, I saw Brute Force is going to be on TCM soon. You ever get around to that one?

Quite liked the millennium films lists idea. Could never restrict mine to ten but here I go:

1) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
2) The Dark Knight
3) Lost in Translation
4) Man on Wire
5) Drive
6) The Lives of Others
7) Animal Kingdom
8) Looper
9) In Bruges
10) Take Shelter

Fuck. That was painful.

The rest were:

11) The Bourne Identity
12) A Prophet
13) Collateral
14) Let the Right One In
15) The Fog of War
16) About a Boy
17) Life of Pi
18) Gone Baby Gone
19) Senna
20) The Man from Earth
21) Michael Clayton
22) The Prestige
23) Zodiac
24) The Guard
25) Up in the Air
26) Sideways
27) Beginners
28) Brokeback Mountain
29) Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter

Did you actually like Prometheus, Flem, or were you just curious what I'd think?

i don't know how much i like it anymore. i just thought it was something really relevant and you'd have shit to say about it.

i've always kind of felt like the end was a cliffhanger rather than an invitation to answer the mess. so my liking it really depends on a sequel...cause i can deal with a cliffhanger.

if there's no more to Prometheus, then it's stupid, but i would be chomping at the bit if the story continues.

I know we both dug 3:10 to Yuma, but damn, I didn't know you thought that highly of it.

first time i watched it i thought it was good but i didnt like the end. 2nd time i watched it i thought everything was great. could benefit from a lack of westerns coming out, but it kicks Djangos ass straight up and down.

And even beyond German Expressionism, noir has the most stylistic lighting in film history. The Third Man is a great example of that, though the best example of B&W lighting is The Night of the Hunter, a movie you should definitely put high up on your list, Ricky, no matter what Flem says about it :wink:

i like the way it looks, just not blown away by the overall product. wouldn't stop anyone from watching it, like i will if you start pressing someone to watch that piece of shit Persona.

I can't believe you didn't even like him in Scream. He's the shit in most of what I've seen him in. Even in She's All That, he's the best part and he's barely in it.

it's not that i thought he was bad in scream, just that he is a giant tool in real life and it bleeds right through all his roles.

I don't really care if you end up liking art cinema, but I just have to point out that it's really not accurate to lump Bergman in with the type of films you're talking about. A lot of Bergman's films have very clear themes and they are frequently explored very clearly and coherently. It was really only a few films in the mid-to-late-60s where Bergman flirted with the more extreme tendencies of art cinema, and while he did it better than anyone, it's wrong to take those experiments as indicative of his preferred storytelling style.

no it's fair. nothing i saw from him ever cared to be a movie. i really dont get why you like his boring ass.

I was wondering how long it would take you to get to Mr. Lancaster. Speaking of whom, I saw Brute Force is going to be on TCM soon. You ever get around to that one?

i havent been in the mood for classics for a while now. i know you gave me a list of Lancaster movies, so when i'm ready i'll dig it up.

Quite a bit of artsy-fartsy type stuff in there from someone so down on the art house :icon_twis

never saw take shelter or spring whatever, but i don't consider the rest artsy fartsy. maybe there will be blood a tiny bit.

The Third Man is a great example of that, though the best example of B&W lighting is The Night of the Hunter, a movie you should definitely put high up on your list, Ricky, no matter what Flem says about it :wink:

Leave Her to Heaven is another cool color classic, and it's another film noir, too, so Ricky, if you're curious, check out the titular star of Laura (Gene Tierney, arguably the most stunning of all the classic beauties) doing the psycho girlfriend thing in Technicolor :icon_chee

Thanks for these recommendations mate. Quite a list going now.

I don't really care if you end up liking art cinema, but I just have to point out that it's really not accurate to lump Bergman in with the type of films you're talking about.

Point noted.... and thanks.

I think Vertigo is his best...

I did enjoy Vertigo. It's just that Rear Window was a fucking home run. Surely there's no leading man with a better smartass smirk than James Stewart in that film? :icon_lol:

If Robert De Niro never came around, Spencer Tracy would've gone down as the greatest actor of all-time.....

Brave thing to say. I like it.

I don't know if I could say one or the other was the best or not but De Niro is easy top-five for me, on a BAD day. He may not be my favourite. I like Hoffman more.

Speaking of great actors, just seen Inherit the Wind, which is what I came here to post about before I saw your Brontosaurus of a post (impressive, good sir).

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd put it behind JAN and Anatomy of a Murder (much more uneven than those films). My view on Tracy has not changed one bit though. Holy fuck he is FAR ahead of his fellow actors in the two films of his I've seen till now, in my opinion. I got to see him get angry this time around and was not disappointed. I will definitely take you up on the Tracy kick when the time is right.

Quite a bit of artsy-fartsy type stuff in there from someone so down on the art house :icon_twis

Oh I have nothing against artsy-fartsy. I like a little imagination/fantasy/profundity in my films. None of those films left as much to me to interpret as anything I've seen by Tarkovsky or Bergman (admittedly I've not seen much). I made this point with Flem earlier, that where I draw the line is the point between the blurry and the absolutely out there.

I wouldn't even say any of those films in that list you underlined were even blurry. All of them had a clear plot that I could easily explain to someone. Eternal Sunshine is really a simple romantic film at its core. I loved the bits that made me think how horrible it was to FEEL my memories of someone drifting away. It was all quite literal to me. Lost in Translation was hardly artsy. It was just very slow but told its story beautifully. I understood the characters and their motivations were never confusing, and related to it from similar relationships in places foreign to me. Drive was likely the artiest. I just found that film immensely cool, as lame as that seems. That was just pure style, and I fell for it and Gosling's performance. The only ambiguous aspect of that film was the question of whether the driver was well, retarded. And hell, you can't tell me Let the Right One In wasn't just a beautiful story. There Will Be Blood I enjoyed purely for the performance, and that's why it was at the bottom. It just elevated what seemed otherwise to be just a very good movie to another stratosphere, so it's not the artsy shit in it that attracted me at all. Take Shelter, well that one beats me. It stayed with me for days after. Definitely very ambiguous, but I loved the way it was done. The Lives of Others is not artsy at all to me. Maybe soapy, not artsy. I related to living in a regimented country.

Most of these films are at the most stylistically artsy. I have no issue with that. I even mentioned that I enjoyed Tarkovsky's visuals. But I have to make up the story. I'm not so "down" on art-house. I came here in fact to see what I was missing. It was exactly the differences in my enjoyment between the films that you underlined and the avant-garde that made me ask myself these questions as a film fan. The difference to me between those films in the list and the art-house is that they use the styles of the art-house to further the viewing experience. With the art-house, that style IS the experience! At least it has been for me so far, and I need more.

Last edited:
Surprised you didn't like this one. A really marvelous exercise in noir filmmaking, IMO, and another showcase for Welles' genius.
I will definitely revisit this at some point. But yeah, I really think the best way to explain it is that I actually "struggled" with it. Just didn't work. I recognised all the little elements of genius - the long tracking shot, Welles' performance, the crime plot in general. But on the whole, I was left not really liking it. The overlapping dialogue fucked up a good portion of it for me and took me out of it a lot.

I hate this movie.

I wouldn't be astonished at someone hating this film at all. I myself liked it, somewhat. But it was nothing compared to the other noir I'd seen.

I didn't mean for that to sound like I was setting out to make you change your mind.

Of course mate. Didn't mean nothing. I should have thrown a smiley in or something. Sorry about the confusion.

You're criticizing the lack of a philosophical basis in The Dark Knight Rises when the philosophical basis is the reason I think The Dark Knight Rises is so fantastic!......

With Batman/Bane, it's MUCH more than just a battle of physical wills, it's a battle of spiritual wills.....

That's MUCH more compelling for me than a knucklehead in make-up running around making up ethical games for Batman to play, but that's just me.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I will likely revisit the film to see what I might have missed. As it stands, I did not see any of the thematic stuff you mentioned there, at least not as acutely as you described it. But I'm always open to exploring a film again. I should warn you I can be a stubborn bitch. :icon_chee Thanks again, though.

I thought he viewed it as a trilogy, if not from the start then at least around the time of The Dark Knight? Am I wrong on that one?

I'd be lying if I said I was sure. I used to post now and then on an unofficial Nolan fan forum. I think the gist is that he set out to make The Dark Knight with maybe another film or two after. He may have wanted to make a third but the idea was scrapped ALTOGETHER when Ledger died. Then he sort of hit upon the plot for the third and completed it. So while it is possible that there was a trilogy, he likely had no idea how the whole thing was going to finish when he was making The Dark Knight. And if he didn't he probably didn't aim to aim for TDK to be the cool one without knowing what the third was going to be.

Not stating that I believe any of that to be FACT or anything.

Now you dicks have wasted my time. I was going to watch Sweet Smell of Success and it might be too late in the night for where I LIVE! A man has to work you goddamn punks.

Fuck it, I'm going for it.

Last edited:
i've always kind of felt like the end was a cliffhanger rather than an invitation to answer the mess. so my liking it really depends on a sequel...cause i can deal with a cliffhanger.

if there's no more to Prometheus, then it's stupid, but i would be chomping at the bit if the story continues.

I never thought of it becoming its own franchise, not even of it being a planned pair of films, but I'm with you on being willing to forgive the ending of Prometheus if it was only meant to leave the door open for a sequel, but if not, yeah, it's fucking garbage.

Beyond all the negativity, though, I loved Michael Fassbender's android character. I thought he was handled very poorly, and almost none of his actions made any sense in absence of any explanations, but I liked his performance and I loved the shit with Lawrence of Arabia.

it kicks Djangos ass straight up and down.

Oh, Django gets fucking Zulu'd by 3:10 to Yuma :cool:

i like the way it looks, just not blown away by the overall product. wouldn't stop anyone from watching it

tumblr_m12qm6g7SS1r1ov0uo1_400.gif

it's not that i thought he was bad in scream, just that he is a giant tool in real life and it bleeds right through all his roles.

I just genuinely like that guy, I've liked everything I've seen of him in the documentaries and stuff I've watched and I have a lot of respect for him as an actor.

no it's fair. nothing i saw from him ever cared to be a movie.

But there are quite clearly levels of "artsyness" among art cinema products. The Seventh Seal is EXTREMELY clear and straightforward, as is Wild Strawberries, as is The Virgin Spring, as is Shame, as is Cries and Whispers, as is Ivan's Childhood, as is I Vitelloni, as is La Strada, as is The 400 Blows.

All of these movies belong in the art cinema category, but they're VERY different from Persona and Solaris and Fellini Satyricon and those types of films.

i really dont get why you like his boring ass.

Because he's a perceptive observer of the human condition who knows how to tell compelling stories with a great handle on metaphor and because he's a master craftsman with a brilliant cinematic eye.

ClvbiME.gif

Thanks for these recommendations mate. Quite a list going now.

Haven't even scratched the surface, trust me :icon_chee

I did enjoy Vertigo. It's just that Rear Window was a fucking home run. Surely there's no leading man with a better smartass smirk than James Stewart in that film?

Judging by this post, you'll enjoy Stewart in Rope.

Brave thing to say. I like it.

As far as actors go, for me it's Robert De Niro, Spencer Tracy, and Katharine Hepburn, then everybody else.

Brando's brilliant, James Cagney is a beast, Dustin Hoffman is the shit, Daniel Day-Lewis is unquestionably talented, but there's no one who has ever stood in front of a camera who has been either as great or as consistently great as those three.

I like Hoffman more.

What have you seen from him?

Speaking of great actors, just seen Inherit the Wind, which is what I came here to post about before I saw your Brontosaurus of a post (impressive, good sir).

We call those mega posts, and I have a lot of them :wink:

I'd put it behind JAN and Anatomy of a Murder (much more uneven than those films).

I think it's better than both. The script is sharper than either of those two films, and as they all rely heavily on dialogue, the script is what allows Inherit the Wind to pull ahead ever so slightly.

My view on Tracy has not changed one bit though. Holy fuck he is FAR ahead of his fellow actors in the two films of his I've seen till now, in my opinion. I got to see him get angry this time around and was not disappointed. I will definitely take you up on the Tracy kick when the time is right.

He's the man. He can do serious drama, he can do goofy comedy, he can do scary villains, he can do romantic leads. He can fucking do anything, and do almost anything better than almost anybody.

Oh I have nothing against artsy-fartsy. I like a little imagination/fantasy/profundity in my films. None of those films left as much to me to interpret as anything I've seen by Tarkovsky or Bergman (admittedly I've not seen much). I made this point with Flem earlier, that where I draw the line is the point between the blurry and the absolutely out there.

Gotcha. Artsy-fartsy good, artsy-no-idea-what's-going-on-here bad :redface:

I'm not so "down" on art-house. I came here in fact to see what I was missing. It was exactly the differences in my enjoyment between the films that you underlined and the avant-garde that made me ask myself these questions as a film fan. The difference to me between those films in the list and the art-house is that they use the styles of the art-house to further the viewing experience. With the art-house, that style IS the experience! At least it has been for me so far, and I need more.

Well, so long as you know that it's because of people like Bergman, Fellini, Tarkovsky, Godard, et al., that movies like There Will Be Blood and Drive even exist. Hollywood could never have absorbed elements of the art house if it weren't for those filmmakers daring to experiment in a way that created the very wing of filmmaking that came to be known as the art house.

I understand enjoyment won't be there for everyone, and I'd be lying myself if I said I enjoyed everything about the art house, but so long as there is respect there and so long as it is acknowledged and understood how important that movement was in the history and evolution of the cinema, I've got no problems.

I will definitely revisit this at some point. But yeah, I really think the best way to explain it is that I actually "struggled" with it. Just didn't work. I recognised all the little elements of genius - the long tracking shot, Welles' performance, the crime plot in general. But on the whole, I was left not really liking it. The overlapping dialogue fucked up a good portion of it for me and took me out of it a lot.

And, to be fair, I wasn't immediately taken with it. It threw me, too, with how weird and in-your-face the whole thing was, but I came to appreciate it much more over time.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I will likely revisit the film to see what I might have missed. As it stands, I did not see any of the thematic stuff you mentioned there, at least not as acutely as you described it. But I'm always open to exploring a film again. I should warn you I can be a stubborn bitch.

That's part of the fun of this thread, not so much automatically changing your mind any time someone says something contrary to what you were initially thinking, but at the very least, getting to fight over competing views and endlessly twist and turn movies upside down and inside out in order to maximize the amount of enjoyment and intellectual stimulation that can possibly be attained from any given film.

I'd be lying if I said I was sure.

I'm curious now. I always just assumed since the end of Batman Begins is so clear with the Joker card and then The Dark Knight Rises is so close to The Dark Knight that Nolan had it at least in the back of his mind that, if he was going to make more than one movie, then he would at least be sure everything would come together in a trilogy.

I locked the first one but just deleted the second since it was a double anyway.

With Prometheus, just give me the tl;dr version. Are you for or against? It's your boy, Ridley. You can't just leave me hanging :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back