Serious Movie Discussion XXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carpenter actually came up with the theme. Morricone did everything else.

i believe it. it's the least ennio-sounding thing he's done.

while i'm at it, does anyone else feel this weird continuity that ties together everything scored by Ennio. like it almost supersedes who the director is and feels like ennio is in control.

i remember watching Cinema Paradiso and having to constantly remind myself that it wasn't a Sergio Leone film (at that point in my database, hearing Ennio meant that i was watching a Leone western).

Rewatched 3:10 to Yuma, and man do I love that movie. I think it's Bale's best performance too. It sucks Bale dies, because he's such a nice guy, but I wouldn't change the ending at all.

Rewatched 3:10 to Yuma, and man do I love that movie. I think it's Bale's best performance too. It sucks Bale dies, because he's such a nice guy, but I wouldn't change the ending at all.

amazing movie. I think his fate gives the film even more of a kick and weight to it. Its easily one of my favorite Bale performances and Crowe is awesome in it as well. I think no bigger praise can be heaped on Foster, too than that he practically steals the movie even in spite of those terrific performances. I have virtually no complaints about that one. Much like Zodiac, i'd include it on my top 10 favorite films I've seen since 2007.

amazing movie. I think his fate gives the film even more of a kick and weight to it. Its easily one of my favorite Bale performances and Crowe is awesome in it as well. I think no bigger praise can be heaped on Foster, too than that he practically steals the movie even in spite of those terrific performances. I have virtually no complaints about that one. Much like Zodiac, i'd include it on my top 10 favorite films I've seen since 2007.

I agree that movie was great.
I think Christian Bale and Ben Foster did amazing.
The young boy was annoying but everything else was perfect.

Watched two more of your picks, Sigh.

Empire of the Sun was so. . .Spielbergy. Christian Bale was unbelievable, definitely made it worth the watch, but on the whole, it was just another Spielberg affair where nothing really felt significant and there was very little tension since you knew everything was going to work out literally perfectly, and sure enough, it did. And the only moments of real inspiration were, not surprisingly, the moments of the innocent beauty of childhood (Bale finding the busted plane, his weird relationship with the Japanese kid on the other side of the wire, his "friendship" with Malkovich), while the supposedly "heavy" moments (Bale's breakdown with the doctor, the fate of the Japanese kid) were painfully inept and laughably clunky, perfect examples of Spielberg's limitations as a dramatist.

A Prophet, on the other hand, had literally nothing going for it. It actually reminded me of The Wire in that it succeeded in doing the impossible: Turning the viewing of a crime drama into the equivalent of watching paint dry. It was so long and so boring, it took forever for anything to happen, and when anything did happen, it was so dull and lifeless. I didn't give a shit about anyone or anything, so even aside from the plodding plot, I didn't even get the small pleasures of hearing sharp dialogue or watching particularly impressive performances or even hearing cool music. Absolutely nothing for me to sink my teeth into, just pure monotony like I was a prisoner going stir crazy in the cell that was this movie. The front of the DVD has some blurb about it being like The Godfather, and even for as overrated as I think that movie is, that's still a hell of an insult :redface:

he's constantly trying to reconcile demons, which can only mean the ultimate goal is happiness. I think it's at least a little bit problematic that he barely ever scratches the surface, through characters, on what happiness looks or feels like. It's hard to take insight from him in that way. choosing this guy to be the one to get you closer to your plagues seems masochistic. and that's his choice to make.

Happiness is the wrong word. Happiness can be attained even while there's a dark cloud hanging over you. I think it'd be better to say happiness is something that can come in moments but ultimately what's being sought after is peace of mind, and that is what was impossible for Bergman (and, by extension, his characters) to attain, and a majority of his films, you're absolutely right, have a masochistic edge to them, in keeping with that thing I quoted from Schopenhauer about the final outcome in the most tragic of dramas being "the vanity of all human striving."

So he can have a scene like the strawberries and milk scene in The Seventh Seal, where the characters experience true happiness, where the knight's solemnity is temporarily broken and he receives the gift of a happy memory to take with him through all of the ups and downs of life, yet the persistent theme of the Sisyphean struggle of humanity to reconcile its place in the silent and mystifying universe is never undercut, it still lurks over the happiness just as death always lurks over life, the ultimate paradoxical theme of The Seventh Seal and, indeed, all of Bergman's cinema.

Man, I need to watch that dude's movies again. All this talk, it's getting me too jazzed up :icon_chee

Seven Psychopaths was weird, but I liked it. It's nothing like the trailers, or promos. I really don't know how to describe, except it's pretty funny, and meta without being annoying.

Watched two more of your picks, Sigh.

Empire of the Sun was so. . .Spielbergy. Christian Bale was unbelievable, definitely made it worth the watch, but on the whole, it was just another Spielberg affair where nothing really felt significant and there was very little tension since you knew everything was going to work out literally perfectly, and sure enough, it did. And the only moments of real inspiration were, not surprisingly, the moments of the innocent beauty of childhood (Bale finding the busted plane, his weird relationship with the Japanese kid on the other side of the wire, his "friendship" with Malkovich), while the supposedly "heavy" moments (Bale's breakdown with the doctor, the fate of the Japanese kid) were painfully inept and laughably clunky, perfect examples of Spielberg's limitations as a dramatist.

There are some clunky moments, but I think it works out in the end. That being said, you didn't find it interesting the way the movie played with Bale's perception of reality? That the movie, for the most part, literally a child's perspective during his time in a POW camp? The fact that Malkovich almost identically resembles the comic cover, the fact that the family resembles the Rockwell painting, the bombing sequence, the fake rations with confetti and games? When I first saw it, I liked it, but not that much. Then I watched it again, and thought it was great when it's viewed with that perspective in mind. It's literally watching a child lose his mind, and thus lose his childhood.

The ending is so powerful for me. Bale's eyes, and weariness is so perfectly done.

As for A Prophet, you just stink.

Last edited:
Happiness is the wrong word. Happiness can be attained even while there's a dark cloud hanging over you. I think it'd be better to say happiness is something that can come in moments but ultimately what's being sought after is peace of mind, and that is what was impossible for Bergman (and, by extension, his characters) to attain, and a majority of his films, you're absolutely right, have a masochistic edge to them, in keeping with that thing I quoted from Schopenhauer about the final outcome in the most tragic of dramas being "the vanity of all human striving."

So he can have a scene like the strawberries and milk scene in The Seventh Seal, where the characters experience true happiness, where the knight's solemnity is temporarily broken and he receives the gift of a happy memory to take with him through all of the ups and downs of life, yet the persistent theme of the Sisyphean struggle of humanity to reconcile its place in the silent and mystifying universe is never undercut, it still lurks over the happiness just as death always lurks over life, the ultimate paradoxical theme of The Seventh Seal and, indeed, all of Bergman's cinema.

yeah, that's why i find him philosophically bankrupt. he's finishing at the starting line. it's just a lot of poetry to say "you know what keeps me up at night?"

versus fellini, he doesn't particularly have more to say, it just means more to him to say it.

when the next thread rolls around, i wanna talk about that 'Good Bad Movie' essay a little bit.

Hey aqua, don't you really like John Woo's The Killer? I watched it on TCM a few nights ago and was just wondering. . .why?

Seriously, that's got to be one of the worst scripts ever written, and not even Stallone or Schwarzenegger at their most cartoonish showed such disregard for the number of bullets guns can hold :redface:

you didn't find it interesting the way the movie played with Bale's perception of reality? That the movie, for the most part, literally a child's perspective during his time in a POW camp? The fact that Malkovich almost identically resembles the comic cover, the fact that the family resembles the Rockwell painting, the bombing sequence, the fake rations with confetti and games? When I first saw it, I liked it, but not that much. Then I watched it again, and thought it was great when it's viewed with that perspective in mind. It's literally watching a child lose his mind, and thus lose his childhood.

Not only did I not notice any of that---which is less a problem on my end and more a problem on Spielberg's end if any of that is even there and, moreover, if any of that was intentional on his part---but even thinking back on the movie now with that in mind, it doesn't change the way I think about the movie. Whether it's a chronicle of a child or the subjective experience of a child, it's still the story of a child told by a man-child in a childish manner, so not much changes.

The ending is so powerful for me. Bale's eyes, and weariness is so perfectly done.

Bale was amazing, but the ending was stupid. Like Spielberg ran out of shit to do and just decided nothing happening at the end (beyond the obligatory family reunion happy ending) was good enough so he could move on to the next movie. Felt very lazy.

As for A Prophet, you just stink.

I may stink, but A Prophet stinks worse.

yeah, that's why i find him philosophically bankrupt. he's finishing at the starting line. it's just a lot of poetry to say "you know what keeps me up at night?"

I think he's brave for being so open about what haunts him and for not sugar coating anything when sugar coating is practically de rigueur in filmmaking from any country in any era of any style.

versus fellini, he doesn't particularly have more to say, it just means more to him to say it.

With how intense Bergman's films are, I doubt very much that there are very many filmmakers whose art has meant more to them, but even if there are, Fellini sure as shit doesn't seem like one of them.

when the next thread rolls around, i wanna talk about that 'Good Bad Movie' essay a little bit.

iy9WdBS3QL2zd.gif

With how intense Bergman's films are, I doubt very much that there are very many filmmakers whose art has meant more to them, but even if there are, Fellini sure as shit doesn't seem like one of them.

"he" = bergman in that sentence.

I hate that someone wasted one of Bullitt's picks on Prometheus. Sigh, that was you?

Rewatched most of Django Unchained, and I like it less. It feels so slow, and sluggish. I still don't think it's bad or nothing, I just don't care enough to finish it. Leo is still a riot though.

Not only did I not notice any of that---which is less a problem on my end and more a problem on Spielberg's end if any of that is even there and, moreover, if any of that was intentional on his part---but even thinking back on the movie now with that in mind, it doesn't change the way I think about the movie. Whether it's a chronicle of a child or the subjective experience of a child, it's still the story of a child told by a man-child in a childish manner, so not much changes.

You really think this wasn't intentional:
Rockwell_Spielberg.jpg

2yX5nJE.png

Jamie sees the bomber waving at him:

Gq4XQdV.jpg

However, in the very next shot, we see the cockpit is closed:

PNitqGu.png

Same, for the rations at the end, and the way Jamie imposed his father's finger gesture onto the doctor. It was very intentional, but what I like about it, is how subtly it was done.

Bale was amazing, but the ending was stupid. Like Spielberg ran out of shit to do and just decided nothing happening at the end (beyond the obligatory family reunion happy ending) was good enough so he could move on to the next movie. Felt very lazy.

I don't even know what this means. By the time the ending rolled around, he was defeated, and broken. His entire childhood had been in the suitcase, and then he tosses it into the river, like the floating coffins in the beginning of the film. His childhood was destroyed forever. When he gets reunited with his family, it isn't so a "happy" ending, but more of a relief for me. He still looks like a shellshocked veteran.

Last edited:
Yeah, Leo is by far the best part. It's a shame he wasn't nominated.

Anyone want to see Tarantino take a shot at a conventional movie?

was talking to a friend today about how his next movie needs to please not be another fucking spaghetti western revenge story.

don't quite know what i'd want him to go for though.

i think he also needs to start recognizing that he's becoming a bit of a caricature of himself.

Very true about the caricature.

I've been thinking this for a while, and call me crazy, but does anyone else think he's overrated when it comes to writing?

Pulp Fiction was just a movie different cool scenes. Of course they were all well-written, but stories that don't really segway into each other is easier than a conventional one.

Jackie Brown was adapted.

Reservoir Dogs is cool, but didn't he steal/borrow a bunch of ideas from little known Asian movies?

IB is kind of like Pulp Fiction. Bunch of small stories.

Django I guess is his most "normal" original screenplay, and that movie isn't anything special other than Leo's character.

A lot of his characters sound/speak very similar.

You're supposed to write what you know, and it's obvious QT knows his movies and black people.

I was about to post but saw we're basically at 1000. Give me a minute to make a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back