Self defense to sport Jiu Jitsu

Jordan1997

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
So i've been training in Gracie Jiu Jitsu for about a year,most of it was stand up self defense then light sparring and technical sparring on the ground.
I've recently changed to a more sports oriented school as my instructor doesn't agree with competition of any sort and i got smashed by anyone with a couple of stripes on their belt.
Does anyone have any advice how to survive in this environment?Even the little guys feel so strong,although i did tap a blue belt with an omoplata.
Another thing i'm curious about is north south,when they shuffle across my neck feels really strained and i panic,where should i be facing?I tapped out in this position the other day.
apologies for the jumbled post,i just feel a little overwhelmed in this environment (Not necessarily in a bad way)
Thanks!

I am not entirely sure what you are asking? Are you saying you just drilled at your previous school and never rolled ? If that's it then things will come in time if you use the techniques you previously drilled, but that will only work if you old school was actually any good. You said you hit an omaplata so you atleast know something.

Did you leave the school because they wouldn't compete and you wanted to? Have you had a discussion with your new coach about the issues you are having?

Looking at your previous posts I am going to assume you went through the old Gracie Training centre blue belt progression with no rolling? If you did then you have heaps of techniques to use though they are based around untrained people and them making mistakes. Use those basic techniques and you should be fine, however you will need to learn how to put people in those out of balance and incorrect positions for sweeps and subs.

North south can be a crap position because it's uncomfortable, but you are going to struggle in BJJ if you tap to discomfit. Turn your head whichever way relieves the pressure as a start and try to escape. I swear the gracie stuff covers this position from memory.

I am not entirely sure what you are asking? Are you saying you just drilled at your previous school and never rolled ? If that's it then things will come in time if you use the techniques you previously drilled, but that will only work if you old school was actually any good. You said you hit an omaplata so you atleast know something.

Did you leave the school because they wouldn't compete and you wanted to? Have you had a discussion with your new coach about the issues you are having?

Looking at your previous posts I am going to assume you went through the old Gracie Training centre blue belt progression with no rolling? If you did then you have heaps of techniques to use though they are based around untrained people and them making mistakes. Use those basic techniques and you should be fine, however you will need to learn how to put people in those out of balance and incorrect positions for sweeps and subs.

North south can be a crap position because it's uncomfortable, but you are going to struggle in BJJ if you tap to discomfit. Turn your head whichever way relieves the pressure as a start and try to escape. I swear the gracie stuff covers this position from memory.
I rolled with some of the other students when i trained,but i never felt pressured or uncomfortable rolling with them,i felt i could handle it even if i couldn't submit them.
But here they seem to have so much control over me things like the elbow escape from mount were so hard to pull off,maybe it's because i rolled with the competition team and my technique isn't really that great under pressure.
I left my old school due to my instructor not agreeing with competition and bad mouthing other students that compete which i don't think is a respectful thing to do.
Several other students have left for the same reason.
Just to be sure,would you say i should train more focused on techniques or try to get more rolling time in?
My coach said do whatever i'm comfortable with but that didn't really give me an answer haha
Thanks for the advice,i appreciate it! :D

I suggest that you get more rolling time. After a year at your previous school, you should have been exposed to at least the basic ground work. You'll become accustomed to being uncomfortable. Mind you, during competition training the class should be more difficult. Give it time and work on surviving.

I rolled with some of the other students when i trained,but i never felt pressured or uncomfortable rolling with them,i felt i could handle it even if i couldn't submit them.
But here they seem to have so much control over me things like the elbow escape from mount were so hard to pull off,maybe it's because i rolled with the competition team and my technique isn't really that great under pressure.
I left my old school due to my instructor not agreeing with competition and bad mouthing other students that compete which i don't think is a respectful thing to do.
Just to be sure,would you say i should train more focused on techniques or try to get more rolling time in?
My coach said do whatever i'm comfortable with but that didn't really give me an answer haha

Just roll as much as you can, you will become more relax and you will stop losing energy against people who put pressure on you.

I had grappling classes before starting BJJ and it was 90% technical and drilling. Some stuff is working and the basics are always useful, but there was stuff that just doesn't work against someone who knows BJJ.

There's also not enough grip fighting in technical training and it's a major part of sparring.

So what I did is that I focused on small stuff, trying guard passes without giving up triangles and sweeps, having good grip fighting and arm positions, having good side mount escapes, having good framing, not giving up the back...

I also learned to stay calm under pressure position, you have to realize that they can't submit you without trying something and it will mostly give you an opening for an escape.

Just my opinion, influenced by my instructor as well. But your game, especially at white belt, should be the same for street or sport. To me, being punch safe with the GJJ mindset is also submission safe to me. How much time at your old school did you personally put into concepts of distance management and surviving, exhausting and then controlling your opponent? You're gonna learn new stuff at the new school, but thinking about that is how you can put into practice in real time the stuff you already know like punch block series (which will help you survive even without punches since the main concept is distance management).

Last edited:
And this is why is utterly stupid not to let whitebelts roll...

Just keep going.You'll be fine. You're in the middle of making a mental adjustment to a more intense training environment, that just takes a little time. You'll be able to hang with everyone your own rank in a few months, just got to learn the ropes of being at a competition oriented school. It'll almost certainly be a good thing for your grappling in the end.

it doesnt matter how polish your technique is, if you are not used to roll, it will mean jack shit when pressured.

Never mind. Totally read your original post incorrectly.

I agree with you. White Belts need to feel the Preshhh because all they'd be studying is theory. Theory without application leads to incomplete learning.

Jordan1997 I am curious about your light sparring at you old school. My understanding is after the combatives course you are allowed to roll. Even though Ryron likes to keep it playful he also said to roll serious too that why he had that coin. Flip it one way roll playfully flip another roll by keeping it real. Isn't the combatives to teach new students self defence. Did senior students at you old club have serious rolls. I never got the impression from Ryron or Renner to not to roll serious after the combative course.

The whole point of the sport is to handle pressure. Otherwise you might as well do aïkido.

And this is why is utterly stupid not to let whitebelts roll...
Oh, but some, if not most, do.
That is how I got my pinched nerve being slammed by another white who outweigh me by 40 lbs, a sprained toe, and one almost heel hooked me so I tapped.
Looking back, it's a stupid practice, but IMO, I think at least 4 months of training should be okay to spar with a higher belt, not another noob.

That is how I got my pinched nerve being slammed by another white who outweigh me by 40 lbs, a sprained toe, and one almost heel hooked me so I tapped.
Looking back, it's a stupid practice, but IMO, I think at least 4 months of training should be okay to spar with a higher belt, not another noob.

Those things will still happen IMO, just four months after they start training instead. People new to rolling are going to do stupid shit, you just socialize them with experienced players and keep a close eye on them until they learn proper etiquette. OP is a good example of this, "training" for a year and has swapped schools where they conduct hard sparing and he has tapped to N/S. Typical new guy shit from someone that shouldn't be a new guy.

Don't take that as an insult, I bet his ability to demonstrate that technique in a static, or 30-40% resistance role is good for that year of training. That's not the same as a full on roll and for sure no where near a competition intensity roll.

Focus on learning and improving instead of trying survive. You can only "survive" against a superior opponent for so long. If you tap, you tap.

If you don't roll with retards you're generally safe, even as a white belt.

Well, that's on your coach, the rolling rules for whitebelts should be stated before the do, someone has to tell them.

slamming Hh toe holds and other "UFC" moves are banned.

Rolling from day one, that's my approach, you can't make a 2 brand new. White belts roll though. At the first 2 weeks white belts should roll only with instructor or high belts. Also rolls need to be put in perspective. And it's the coaches responsibility to make them feel safe and overall just have fun with it, trying to remove the adrenaline from the roll.

Well, that's on your coach, the rolling rules for whitebelts should be stated before the do, someone has to tell them.

slamming Hh toe holds and other "UFC" moves are banned.

Rolling from day one, that's my approach, you can't make a 2 brand new. White belts roll though. At the first 2 weeks white belts should roll only with instructor or high belts. Also rolls need to be put in perspective. And it's the coaches responsibility to make them feel safe and overall just have fun with it, trying to remove the adrenaline from the roll.

Yep I do the same.

Newbies get to roll but they are matched up for a few classes with higher belts so they can learn how to roll. .

I always have to keep an eye because the white belts want to test the newbies and it is counter productive.

Yup our Judo club rules were to keep newbie WBs away from each other in randori.

Seems to be the same at BJJ.

Back