Media Seems our boy Bones might be fighting at HW again after Stipe

Yeah. Of course. I'll take an easier job for more prestige and money too. He's not an idiot.

From a fan perspective if a guy has "earned it" (to the extent that means anything) it shouldn't matter if he's a favorable or unfavorable match up.
I just want to see Jones fight anyone at this point.

He’s not wrong, outside of the UK and sherdog no one gives a flying fuck or even knows about Tom Aspinall. As far as business goes 100% Pereira is the better fight for Jon to take, money and fight wise.

He's not going to fight Tom. He wants another "gimme" like Gane. Someone with zero ground game.

Jon's intention was to move to heavyweight and we a two division champion. He doesn't feel the need to prove anything at heavyweight anymore, especially with the risk involved.

Alex should fight Jon at light heavyweight to make him do the cut. We've seen plenty of fighter at LHW stuff Jones. Alex is a great athlete and has Glover in his camp. I could easily see Alex forcing a standup fight and wrecking Jones.

Jon most likely gets humbled and retires either path he takes.
I think that if Jon were to try to get to 205 now, Poatan would starch him, but at HW, I feel Jon would dive for an ankle ASAP.

Sad that someone who, when you look purely at physical skills is far and away the GOAT, ducking Tom so horrifically.
Real legacy blemishing stuff.
Would be good shit if Poatan was the one to knock him out after hitting Jon with that gross arm wrench/shoulder crank he hit glover with.

Last edited:
They made a HW champion interim title fight between the two top contenders after Jones got injured. Jones is effectively getting people to side with him ducking the rightful HW title challenger to fight a 205er. I personally like the Pereira fight much more, but Jones is actively ducking the rightful number 1 contender. Just strip him at this point and then he can fight whoever he wants for legacy.
I understand

But, again, that's also the nature of the sport.

It's not just about Jon. This kind of thing has been happening in boxing for generations.

Both the athletes and the organization behind them want to make fights that make the most sense for the business, fights that will sell.

Pavlovic isn't a sell and unfortunately, that is the game. Would it be nice if it weren't a business and fights were made according to rankings, deservedness and nothing else? Sure. But that's projecting our own idealistic perception of things, rather than how they actually are.

I don't think Jones is going to bother fighting, unless it's a big fight. That's half the reason why he moved up to HW to begin with, it's what allowed him to push for a bigger / better contract with the ufc.

When you've been fighting for 15+ years and paid your dues, I'm of the mind that you've earned the right to seek out the biggest fights with the highest payouts.

People don't like Jon and these types are always invested in the next guy who supposedly knocks him out. They said it with Gane and these are the same people who said he was a can, after he got smoked. Then Pavlovic was the big boogeyman who Jones is terrified of. Now it's Aspinall.

Fans have been doing this shit for as long as I could remember. They want nothing more than to find some evidence Jones is a fraud so they can say they've been right all along.

You see the same thing with other polarizing figures as well. Nobody can possibly see things clearly when they're so deeply invested in that sort of anti Jones energy.

What made that crystal clear to me was when he refused to do a staredown with Aspinall in Birmingham.

People have forgotten now, but he was the same way with Francis when there was still a slight possibility of them fighting each other. He never gave a direct answer, never straight out said he wanted that fight, and never did anything whatsoever to promote a future fight between them. Dude was radio silent for the most part.

Then, when Ngannou left the UFC and signed with PFL, all of a sudden Jon was happy to do not one, but multiple staredowns for photo ops with Francis over in Saudi. Every time they run into one another at events they do a staredown. Now that there is absolutely zero chance of him ever having to fight Ngannou, Jon is happy for the media to publish the pictures and speculate on what might have been.
And yet, Jones is the one who called him out as his first fight at HW, when he was toying with the idea of going up to HW back in 2021. Long before ngannou was even champ.

He was also the one who called him out after he went to a decision with Gane.

Jones was a horrible style match-up for Ngannou in every possible way. When we grasp this fact, it becomes a lot harder to believe this notion that he was terrified of him and did everything in his power to avoid him.

It's a case of people seeing what they want to see.

Ngannou isn't the unstoppable juggernaut people think he is, neither is heavyweight in general.

Jones was the one who was signed to fight Ngannou. Ngannou was the one who was offered 8 million dollars to a sign a contract to fight him. He chose not to. If he stayed with the ufc, the fight would've happened

So it's especially weird that people continue with the ducking tripe, in spite of clear evidence to the contrary.

Last edited:
People who are consummate side pickers in a cult like way dont ever seem to grasp that you can say things favorably about someone without going to extremes.

Ultimately, you could also apply anything I've said universally to many stars, not just within combat sports but sports in general.

I don't think the idea that Jones is making decisions with this sort of business in mind is crazy. It's common sense.

People just project their own overly idealistic perceptions and ignore the fact that this is entertainment, which is how most of these athletes operate and make decisions based on.

When you're in the twilight of your career, especially when you've already fought all comers, you've earned the right to look for big fights and make money, as it's the time where it makes most sense to do so.

I understand the idea of wanting the champ to fight all comers, irregardless of business, but that's not how things things work. Ultimately we need to focus on how things are, rather than how we'd like them to be.
“Hws aren't as good as you guys seem to think they are”

“DC was a HW. And he was an infinitely better one than anyone in the division”

“That includes Tom and ngannou”

Those sound like extremes, in a cult like way.
You try to sound intelligent but it comes off like a special ed kid trying to read Shakespeare.

I think that if Jon were to try to get to 205 now, Poatan would starch him, but at HW, I feel Jon would dive for an ankle ASAP.

Sad that someone who, when you look purely at physical skills is far and away the GOAT, ducking Tom so horrifically.
Real legacy blemishing stuff.
Would be good shit if Poatan was the one to knock him out after hitting Jon with that gross arm wrench/shoulder crank he hit glover with.

Alex is the type of guy to seek revenge for Glover. It's gonna be a banger.

@Ares Black

Apologies for what I said earlier. I didn't mean it. Was still a little intoxicated and just kind of in argumentative mode.
I appreciate that. I also apologize.

You generally seem like a decent fellow and I was a bit taken aback by the vitriol.

Since that time you have made a good case to support your argument and I had already taken you off the ignore list.

We may not agree on everything but I respect your opinion and you do not belong on there with the other degenerates.

That’s definitely a good point. I was a huge Shogun fan, picked him to win, and he got smashed to pieces. And I did see people knocking Shogun afterwards. Wasn’t an easy fight in my eyes at the time and I’ve never made excuses for it. Better man won for sure. So there’s two, pretty much book ending his career, doesn’t seem very common.

but you know, we old schoolers remember what shogun was like in pride and holy shit! it was a big deal shogun coming over.

I appreciate that. I also apologize.

You generally seem like a decent fellow and I was a bit taken aback by the vitriol.

Since that time you have made a good case to support your argument and I had already taken you off the ignore list.

We may not agree on everything but I respect your opinion and you do not belong on there with the other degenerates.

@AstralPanda

may i? i'm glad you gents worked this out because I was about to comment, earlier today and mid fight, "like what the hell, what are y'all gettin all bananas about" lol.

❤️

but you know, we old schoolers remember what shogun was like in pride and holy shit! it was a big deal shogun coming over.
Yeah, great times mate. I was sorry to see Pride go but we got some great fights out of it. Legends fade, tough game, part of what I love about the sport.

Jones will regret it...

200w.gif

I honestly think Poatan would be one of the easiest fights of Jon's entire career. Poatan was taken down by Izzy and Jan. Jon would finish him just as easy as he finished Gane.

Aspinall would be an actual test, but it's high risk with not so great reward for Jon compared to beating Stipe or Poatan (both of which are bigger fights).

I'd be shocked if Jon ever fights Aspinall. I would not be surprised in the slightest if he fought Poatan after he beats Stipe.

Back