Second watch of Saul-GGG

Yeah I was surprised that even the Mexican-heavy crowd was booing Canelo and cheering for GGG during their interviews.

It was interesting. Aside from the obvious conclusion that most thought Golovkin had won, I'd say the fact the 118-110 score was announced first certainly could have led to a fair amount of the anger. Also, the fact that it's at least a common stereotype (not a reality, but a stereotype) that great Mexican fighters are always pure pressure fighters who fight on the front foot in much the way Golovkin did, while the American styles or other Latin styles tend to favour moving and boxing, could have had something to do with that. It's a bit silly especially considering many, if not most, of the great Mexican fighters were not pure pressure fighters.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is arguing it was a close fight. I guess I could see an argument for a 115-113 Canelo and you're right I do need to watch it again. Last 2 rounds are a little fuzzy.

The issue is that scoring it 118-110 Canelo is ridiculous. I haven't seen anyone anywhere stand behind that score that doesn't work for NSAC.

It was interesting. Aside from the obvious conclusion that most thought Golovkin had won, I'd say the fact the 118-110 score was announced first certainly could have led to a fair amount of the anger. Also, the fact that it's at least a common stereotype (not a reality, but a stereotype) that great Mexican fighters are always pure pressure fighters who fight on the front foot in much the way Golovkin did, while the American styles or other Latin styles tend to favour moving and boxing could have had something to do with that. It's a bit silly especially considering many, if not most, of the great Mexican fighters were not pure pressure fighters.

Or it could be that most people just think GGG won the fight. Doesn't mean your reasoning is wrong, just means you are in a small minority that thought Canelo won

Or it could be that most people just think GGG won the fight. Doesn't mean your reasoning is wrong, just means you are in a small minority that thought Canelo won

Yeah, I hadn't considered that. No, wait, it's the first thing I wrote.

Canelo wins 7-5, maybe 8-4 handily.

The fake outrage over the supposed robbery is an extension of SJW culture.

@JayE how did you score it?

Live I had it 115-113 Canelo. Haven't re-scored just yet. Generally speaking, it was down more to a preference for Canelo's cleaner work over Golovkin's volume, but I think it would be easy to swing the other way on it, as well.

Its reminiscent for sure.

You may be on to something.

Nah. Golden Boy is like Soros and the Canelo backers are his minions.

Plus GGG is a Trump Backer while Golden Boy is a flaming liberal

Live I had it 115-113 Canelo. Haven't re-scored just yet. Generally speaking, it was down more to a preference for Canelo's cleaner work over Golovkin's volume, but I think it would be easy to swing the other way on it, as well.
Totally justifiable

Nah. Golden Boy is like Soros and the Canelo backers are his minions.

Plus GGG is a Trump Backer while Golden Boy is a flaming liberal
<{Joewithit}>

I watch it again but with my brain in retard mode so I would just get a very general impression of what happened and didnt score any rounds. Seemed like GGG was kinda winning until round 9 and then Canelo started kinda winning. Overall just two dudes who couldnt convinvingly best each other.

I had it 6-6. I saw it similarly, but overall I thought the story was that Canelo got outworked. He took too much time off.

I had it 6-6. I saw it similarly, but overall I thought the story was that Canelo got outworked. He took too much time off.

That was definitely the story of the middle rounds and it's not hard to argue that it was a general trend throughout the fight. Honestly, things went mostly as I thought they might, but the big difference was that I thought Golovkin might make Canelo pay more during his periods of inactivity, particularly when he had him on the ropes. I am looking forward to rewatching it and scoring it again, though, as I can get a better look at some rounds that were particularly close.

Back