Scott Coker's plan to surpass the UFC

Mr Cokers is a genius and he is the only hope for future fighters to get a better pay day one day

That was a good article. Bellator seems to really have some momentum going right now - competition is great for the consumer!

This the same Coker that ran Strikeforce?

I don't think he did a bad job running Strikeforce.....from what I remember reading after the UFC acquired SF, the $ and Showtime ratings were solid, but the group that owned SF and the Shark Tank wanted out of the MMA business, which left Coker no choice but to sell.

Coker definitely had the talent roster when you consider how many fighters went on to win UFC championships.

How about paying fighters more than $1k, not having them sell tickets & give injury insurance?
Now if Coker does that, he is truly for the fighters.
Instead people are just buying into his BS.
Viacom has way more money than WME/UFC, but gets away with that.

Coker's plan should be 1. Stop putting on geezer fights and acting like each one is the most significant event in MMA history and 2. Sit back and wait for the UFC to implode. That's really all he has to do.

Bellator does not have UFC debt burden but its brand much less than UFC too.

Bellator can attract under appreciated fighters like Rory and develop new talent like PICO plus maintain a solid mix low , mid and high tier fighters. Better marketing of athletes helps too so cameos on TV, movies, various PR events also helpful.

Cross promotions with other Orgs like One for Asia can help grow brand there too.

MMA still a niche entertainment with limited appeal but with a balanced focus on a low, mid and high tier fighters and productions there is potential to grow. Partnerships in overseas markets can help accelerate.

The MSG card impressive but moderate overseas promotions also necessary since tough to beat UFC consistently in N.America on high tier cards.

if you look at Bellator 181 and what they've announced so far 182 it does seem like tomorrows card will be a turning point for the company

Joking?
serious?
I'm serious, the momentum had been shifting especially this year.

By next year, you will know what I'm talking about.

The Light Heavyweight Tournament and McGeary-Davis are the start, this upcoming event will prove us that UFC is just nothing but a brand.

And Bellator will be the premiere fighting stage.

They're basically where Strikeforce was at the tail-end of 2010/early 2011. They have:

- A strong division that could rival the UFC's counterpart (Strikeforce HW division-Bellator WW division)
- A former UFC fighter as champ (Hendo in SF-Davis in Bellator)
- Fedor
- Surging name value and hype
- Starting to get into bigger arenas
- Lots of mismatches
- Even mixture of homegrown talent, ex-UFC vets, cans, and rookies

Let's see what Coker can do from here. I expect more of the same, they just really need to fix the lower top 10 of every division besides WW.

And things didn't go to well for Strikeforce after that did they.

You can pull all the talent you want together and build the production up and so on....................but eventually you have to make money doing it or your investors will leave just like in Strikeforce.

Let's be honest here, this PPV is being done because there is zero chance of them making money by putting it on TV. I firmly believe the MMA landscape can't support two orgs doing PPV's because the PPV model always dies in the end. Even the UFC is feeling it and there more or less the only player in town. You want to know what the biggest Achilles heel is for Bellator, their owned by Spike/Viacom. They can't cash in on what should be their highest paying media deal by a long shot. So the question will always be, can Spike/Viacom make enough money off advertising during events to justify supporting the brand and expanding the brand year after year.

This year and next year will be very interesting for Bellator's status long term. They need to get the avg. ratings up so they can charge considerably more for advertising. So far the ratings are only about a tick better than the shoe string budget of the Bjorn era.

I'm serious, the momentum had been shifting especially this year.

By next year, you will know what I'm talking about.

The Light Heavyweight Tournament and McGeary-Davis are the start, this upcoming event will prove us that UFC is just nothing but a brand.

And Bellator will be the premiere fighting stage.

I was really hoping you were joking
In no way/shpe/form will Bellator come close to surpassing UFC
UFC has more profit yearly than Bellator has revenue.

You don't seem like a bad guy, but that post screams insanity.

UFC has hundreds of millions in contracts guaranteed. They will do $500m+ in revenue (even on a bad PPV year). Bellator won't be anywhere near $100m

And things didn't go to well for Strikeforce after that did they.

You can pull all the talent you want together and build the production up and so on....................but eventually you have to make money doing it or your investors will leave just like in Strikeforce.

Let's be honest here, this PPV is being done because there is zero chance of them making money by putting it on TV. I firmly believe the MMA landscape can't support two orgs doing PPV's because the PPV model always dies in the end. Even the UFC is feeling it and there more or less the only player in town. You want to know what the biggest Achilles heel is for Bellator, their owned by Spike/Viacom. They can't cash in on what should be their highest paying media deal by a long shot. So the question will always be, can Spike/Viacom make enough money off advertising during events to justify supporting the brand and expanding the brand year after year.

This year and next year will be very interesting for Bellator's status long term. They need to get the avg. ratings up so they can charge considerably more for advertising. So far the ratings are only about a tick better than the shoe string budget of the Bjorn era.

Excellent post
You are the rare person that understand what occurred with SF too
Good job

Besides Fedor, they've treated most of their Russian fighters like shit. That's why they're all at WSOF and UFC. I really hoped they would fix that situation. Then there's the fact they're holding events in Israel where alot of people can't even get visas, I don't see who they're trying to please. Certainly not the "eastern" audience to be considered global. How will they surpass the UFC? I want an international outlook and international fighters from beyond just the Americas and western Europe.

Back