Scott Coker's plan to surpass the UFC

war Coker! war Bellator!

Ain't ever going to happen. But hope they continue to grow.

No need to surpass. But I hope they continue to grow and gain popularity. Im actually going to MSG tomorrow. Funny, my first mma event and fedor is on the card.

No need to surpass. But I hope they continue to grow and gain popularity. Im actually going to MSG tomorrow. Funny, my first mma event and fedor is on the card.
Awesome! Share some pictures with us :D

Id honestly love to learn more about what Bellator decides to do with monster in the future. Are they looking for official deals with NASCAR as well? The business side of things always interest me, as I am majoring in business.

Those tv ratings are a bit deceiving. They don't specify if those 2014 ratings are live ratings or DVr ratings. We know that 2017 is dvr included.

Still though. Prelim ratings in the states Are lingering in spike usual range as Bellator is holding more and more international shows. International events have proven to do bad in the states. Logical that international events will bring Bellator ratings down.

Coker is promising big big things in 2018. I hope he delivers

UFC should just merge into Bellator already

Popularity of MMA is on the decline. More like UFC's diminishing at higher rates than Bellator

When Royce Gracie won the first UFC, it was sets of skills that won fights
Now, physical labor force is held responsible for winning fights
We definitely need new rules to keep the sport interesting

Very insightful article.

Here's the tldr for Coker's plan:
  • Continue to expand internationally with more broadcast deals and more local fighters.
  • Develop its home-grown stars for the future
  • Attract more blue-chip sponsors through Viacom's sales department
  • Organise two/three pay-per-view shows a year

Still not live in the UK or most places outside the USA (and we even have a spike tv channel).

Coker needs to start doing something right.

Id honestly love to learn more about what Bellator decides to do with monster in the future. Are they looking for official deals with NASCAR as well? The business side of things always interest me, as I am majoring in business.

Those tv ratings are a bit deceiving. They don't specify if those 2014 ratings are live ratings or DVr ratings. We know that 2017 is dvr included.

Still though. Prelim ratings in the states Are lingering in spike usual range as Bellator is holding more and more international shows. International events have proven to do bad in the states. Logical that international events will bring Bellator ratings down.

Coker is promising big big things in 2018. I hope he delivers

It will be interesting to see where they go from here. They are now at that point that they have sunk a lot of money into talent/production and will continue to do so and this is the time that folds many MMA orgs in the past. It's one thing to spend the cash its another to make a profit off doing it. Only one org has really been successful at doing that over a long period of time.

P.S.: There biggest asset Viacom/Spike is also the biggest anchor on making money. The most lucrative TV deal they can sign is in America and they can't/won't cash in on that. I think its still tough to make massive amounts of money on advertising with MMA as so many blue chip sponsors stay away from MMA still. Instead of dipping there toes in PPV I'd love to see them try to create a Bellator "Fightpass" that they put all the events on along with special Fightpass only events like this weekend. Build that platform up and charge $10 a month or whatever. I just don't think the PPV route is ever going to be that fruitful for them.

Last edited:
I will be happy if they reach SF standard

They're basically where Strikeforce was at the tail-end of 2010/early 2011. They have:

- A strong division that could rival the UFC's counterpart (Strikeforce HW division-Bellator WW division)
- A former UFC fighter as champ (Hendo in SF-Davis in Bellator)
- Fedor
- Surging name value and hype
- Starting to get into bigger arenas
- Lots of mismatches
- Even mixture of homegrown talent, ex-UFC vets, cans, and rookies

Let's see what Coker can do from here. I expect more of the same, they just really need to fix the lower top 10 of every division besides WW.

Very insightful article.

Here's the tldr for Coker's plan:
  • Continue to expand internationally with more broadcast deals and more local fighters.
  • Develop its home-grown stars for the future
  • Attract more blue-chip sponsors through Viacom's sales department
  • Organise two/three pay-per-view shows a year

I probably should have just bullet-pointed the article, but yeah, I thought it was a great read too. There's so much more to the MMA business than making fights, especially when you're dealing with NASCAR and Monster.

I miss the old Bellator tournament format and knowing it would be on Spike every Friday night. But they had to drop it and sign free agents to move out of small venues into larger arenas. And no one is going to disagree with encouraging fighters to get all the sponsors they can as opposed to the Reebok model.

Here's hoping the PPV is a success and fighters have another alternative to the UFC if they so choose.

Bellator is making some waves lately. I hope they keep growing. It's way more interesting that way.

Back