Scientist calls for permanent monitoring of star, signal discovered by Russian sattelite 1year ago

VivaRevolution

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Alien life, or noise? Russian telescope detects 'strong signal' from sun-like star
Signal detected a year ago from HD164595, only 95 light years away and with at least one planet, but Seti scientists are scanning the area and have yet to find it

A Russian radio telescope scanning the skies has observed “a strong signal” from a nearby star, HD164595, in the constellation Hercules. The star is a scant 95 light years away and 99% of the size of Earth’s own sun. It has at least one planet,
HD164595b, which is about the size of Neptune and has a 40-day year.

Seth Shostak of the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence Institute (Seti) in Mountain View, California, told the Guardian he was shocked to have learned of the discovery only now – the readings from Russian radio telescope Ratan-600, Shostak said, were taken a year ago.

Seti, a private organization, searches the skies for alien life and has been underwritten by US government divisions as diverse as Nasa and the Department of Energy. Operated by the Russian Academy of Sciences, Ratan-600’s primary area of focus is monitoring the sun, though it has contributed to Seti’s work.

The news came to international attention on Saturday through Claudio Maccone of the University of Turin in Italy, who attended a talk by the scientists who recorded the signal on 15 May 2015. Maccone passed data from the presentation to the science and science-fiction writer Paul Gilster, who maintains a blog about interstellar exploration called Centauri Dreams.

The phrase “type I civilization” is a designation on the Kardashev scale, named for Russian astrophysicist Nikolai Kardashev developed in the 1960s and described in English in his 1985 paper On the Inevitability and the Possible Structures of Supercivilizations. A type I civilization would be similar to the current development of technology on earth.

“Could it be an ET?” asked Shostak rhetorically. “Of course, but [Ratan-600] didn’t have a receiver that has any spectral resolution.” The receiver on the Russian radio telescope is very wide, which aids it in its primary mission of monitoring solar activity but also means that, like a terrestrial radio receiving a news station, rock’n’roll station and country station at the same time, it is difficult to discern which band is broadcasting at which frequency. “They have a receiver that would swallow a big chunk of the radio dial at once,” Shostak said.

Because the receiver covers such a big sweep of the radio dial, it is hard to tell if the signal comes from intelligent life.

If it is being broadcast across a large chunk of the radio spectrum, the noise is probably coming from a quasar or another source of stellar “noise”; if it is over a narrower band but very strong, it is likelier to be the product of intelligence.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/aug/29/russian-radio-telescope-strong-signal-hd164595-seti

____________________________________________________________________________________

So the Russians have had this info for a year, and apparently no one has been able to show a natural origin.

When you combine this with actual news organizations like the Guardian, and many others running this story, and the call of the scientist in Italy calling for permanent monitoring of this star, this starts to seem a bit more interesting then most of the stories of this ilk you run across.

Last edited:
Probably will just end up being the new "wow!" signal

Saw this documentary on Netflix. The whole remote viewing thing is a bit much for my tastes, but if you can get past that, this was a very interesting documentary.

The signal was deciphered

giphy.gif

If the signal turns out to be legit then fuck all the politics we talk about on here, because shit's about to get real.

I am sure its Just demons deceiving humans to think there are really aliens.

I do wonder what sort of opinions an alien would hold about the human civilization. It may be that the humans would be seen as little more than a planetary cancer, from an outsider perspective.

I do wonder what sort of opinions an alien would hold about the human civilization.

From my conversations with them they like the wealth we have as a first world country. They also seem to enjoy American football too. Most are fans of Roger Huerta though.

har har har

I do wonder what sort of opinions an alien would hold about the human civilization. It may be that the humans would be seen as little more than a planetary cancer, from an outsider perspective.

I'd wager the beginnings of their civilization involved a lot of war and all the same sorts of things as humans.

Competition is embedded in nature.

They would assess humans in terms of threat level, conclude that we aren't one, and go from there.

The WOW signal is back !! You guys can lend your PC's to be bots for SETI by the way if you are more interested.

If the signal turns out to be legit then fuck all the politics we talk about on here, because shit's about to get real.

Will get really interesting I wonder how it will affect earth culture if we happen to discover a Type 1 Civilization.

A type 1 civilization will be just like our current technology so they may not even know we are trying to comunicate.

wAGf3.jpg

Will get really interesting I wonder how it will affect earth culture if we happen to discover a Type 1 Civilization.

It would be used to dump a ton more money into the military industrial complex.

An alien threat is the perfect 'external threat' to justify all sorts of things.

The great unifyer. Other motherfuckers everyone distrusts the most.

Yeah, I couldn't give a fuck about anything else, except to make sure they're not as advanced as us. And if they are, we better make certain we stop broadcasting our stupidity across the cosmos.

No alien worth his salt would wanna come to earth and deal with all this batshit noise we have going on over here

Back