Sage Northcutt Nearly Eaten by Wild Bears

Here's a tip. Anytime you hear a story about bears picture big hairy gay guys and it becomes hilarious.

We're relatively weak, but we're not that weak. Give us some credit. We survived for 200,000 years in the wild with minimal tools, and our close ancestors survived for many millions of years before that with nothing. Humans are actually one the best, if not the best, hot weather long distance runners.

If a little 60 lb animal, which a grown man can effortlessly pick up and slam on the ground, can take a man down simply by latching onto him, then he's pathetic. I'm not saying the dog can't cause injuries with his bite, but there's simply not enough mass there to create the force needed to knock a physically competent grown man off balance. What would a guy like that do when a 200+ pound player hits him at full speed during a hockey game? Additionally, any dog that actually bites and holds is doomed, because at that point there is nothing it can do to stop you from gouging its eyes out.

Of course it would be silly to try to grab a small animal that can scratch and bite with your hands, but you could easily kick or stomp it to death.

I once came across a muskrat walking down the street during a late night walk. So I ran over and walked beside it on the sidewalk because I'd never seen one up close out of the water. After a bit, it turned toward me on its hind legs and jumped toward me and hissed. I stopped, and when it jumped at me I kicked it about a third of the way across the street. I thought it was dead because a pool of liquid developed around it. But after 30 seconds or so it started coming to and trying to get back to its feet. It took a minute or two before it got its balance and bearings back and it proceeded back toward me again. I was wearing shorts and had a small scratch on my shin so I considered killing it to test it for rabies so I blocked its path but it timidly walked around me and into the bushes behind me. I didn't have the heart to finish the poor guy off and it certainly wasn't behaving rabidly at that point, but it would have taken nothing more than a good stomp.

I went over to the small pool of liquid in the street and it turns out he had simply shit and pissed himself. No blood visible. I genuinely hope he was okay in the end. I just wanted to observe him like I do when I see other animals in the neighborhood - porcupines are especially cute and I see coyotes and raccoons occasionally as well - but I think I unknowingly blocked his path to his home and since I was obviously faster than him he figured his only option was to try a bluff to scare me off. I don't doubt that it was the right instinct. I'm sure it would work most of the time with people and animals who don't become impulsively violent in confrontational situations.

You make some sensible points.

I don't know about minimal tools. As soon as we picked up a club, we made up for our weaker bones in our arms and fragile bones in our hands (which boxers to this day still shatter). We also extended our limbs. A piece of rock could exert a much bigger force (concentrate it) than we could ever dream of otherwise. A piece of obsidian could be sharpened and cut better (although being more brittle) than any scalpel we can produce today (that's why they are still used in eye surgery). Let's not forget that humans were hunting in parties. Having fire was a game-changer. I won't even go into further technological developments that allowed us to kill prey from afar.

Imagine a single man with nothing but a piece of rock against a bear. What were his odds of survival?

Police use 60 lbs animals everyday (a dutch shepherd or german shepherd can hit 100 lbs in shape); of course they have backup (I mean the dogs) - they won't fight you for one hour. They have more than enough umph to take a grown man down and you won't outrun one. As soon as it clamps on you, it won't go to sleep, it will start trashing and moving you around. Their ancestors used to bring down bigger and meaner things than us. If you are unprotected and not high on drugs, you will start to feel to notice it hurts. The Police today favor a dog that doesn't re-bite just because of potential lawsuits. A dog that would move from an arm or leg to your face would be bad news. It would be exactly what I would love to have sleeping next to my daughter's bed.

There is a great deal of difference between a dog trained to so something and one not to. In an adrenaline rush, I picked up and threw a boxer weighting half of my own weight, as it launched towards my wife. I worked with dogs for 10 years and I can tell you for sure had that dog not been a pet I would've been in serious trouble.

Even a dog that locks and goes to sleep could be bad news. Depends where it locks. Two hours later, it will still wag its tail, while its victim could be cold already. This is what you get when you have a few centuries of selection (and, as harsh as it sounds, culling) against self-preservation. I don't think not reacting to threats by moving its bite is wise, generally speaking. Also, sport dogs targetting the other hand, than the one with the stick ("weapon"). But this is a rather long topic in itself.

I'm not saying a man could not kill a dog, slam it, stomp it but I'm saying the chances of doing so when going against a dog that knows what it's doing are slim. Dogs have been shot, had an eye gouged out, a limb broken and they kept coming. Some have the genes (they are rare today), so have "enough" genes plus training. Come to think of it, that's what makes them scarier than many wild things out there.

This thread is fun <Lmaoo>
Besides that the most terrifying animal we have here are wild boars. People underestimate them but just some weeks ago an injured boar killed a hunter just by running him down repeatedly (and before some hunter haters write down how thats great: The hunter was called from the police to follow the boar because it was injured in car accident. The shooting was meant to relieve the animal.) Not a nice way of dying.

Bingo. And then you have catch dogs latching on him, not letting go even if are gutted, and will hold him while you dispatch it with a knife.

On a scale of "toughness" we are laughable.

Its called being prepared people get killed by bear because they do dumb things like spray with pepper and salt or curl up in ball. But if u fight properly against a bear you win alot of time brains are better than brawn.

I can imagine an experiment involving some of you, in an enclosure, vs a bear. For science.

That post made me laugh, lok at googling bears

I know people are trolling. They have to be trolling. But I swear to God if one person in here thinks any human can fight and win against a bear or gorilla I will kill myself tonight.

lol, but i wonder... does nature really think it's tough shit? I still maintain that a heavyweight beast, allowed to juice to the moon and back, like Lesnar or Ubereem would absolutely knock the fuck out of most of nature's big dogs like bears or gorillas

not even trolling--think about it, these animals are dumb as shit; humans are superior in every way except physically, but we have the advantage of technology and shit. let ubereem juice to the gills, put him in the best training camp of his life, and let's see if nature's creations can take a 50 lb shin bone to the face

Dude human muscle is puny compared to animal's big dogs. Even if you got a Gorilla to make a severe weight cut to 265 their muscle p4p is much stronger. Grizzly's muscle is p4p stronger again than Gorillas and they are a lot heavier. There is a reason Khabib only fights baby bears. That doesn't even take into account their claws and teeth, the highest fight IQ in the world ain't going to help you in an unarmed fight.

giphy.gif

lol, but i wonder... does nature really think it's tough shit? I still maintain that a heavyweight beast, allowed to juice to the moon and back, like Lesnar or Ubereem would absolutely knock the fuck out of most of nature's big dogs like bears or gorillas

not even trolling--think about it, these animals are dumb as shit; humans are superior in every way except physically, but we have the advantage of technology and shit. let ubereem juice to the gills, put him in the best training camp of his life, and let's see if nature's creations can take a 50 lb shin bone to the face

LOL at this...does anyone know if this was a serious post, or a troll attempt for sure???? If not, you have to be kidding me??? LOL.......Trust me, put Brock juiced out of his mind in there with even an orangutan that feels threatened, and he's ripped to shreds in in less than one minute, easy...

There would have been nothing to fear, if he'd trained with Sensei Seagal. The foolish beast would have been redirected over a cliff with ease.

The gorilla and bear are untrained and would be easily kod by an uberknee, werdum easily RNC either and Lesnar could piledrive the gorilla like he do to big show(500 pound!) but bear too heavy so probably single leg to hard ground and pound for the finish.

I’m not gonna lie

I lost it at “piledrive gorilla like he does big show (500 pound!)”

<[analyzed}>

Any survival expert/hunter/ in the world who actually knows what their talking about will never tell you to fight back agaisnt a guerilla or a bear lmao..regardless of your combat training background..you cant compare human combat skills to an animal..they wont fight fair or allow you to just choke them lol..

If you gulliotined a bear youd be exposing your mid section and legs to 6 inch claws and the huge teeth of a grizzly..who will without a doubt bite you and shred u to pieces..also you cant simply dodge an animals strike like a punch as it doesnt come at you like any strike youve ever prepared for ..when fighting humans..

A guerilla would destroy most humans within 30 seconds..youd last alittle longer agaisnt the bear..but a guerilla wont eat u while your still alive..a bear might.

Yes don’t fight back and hope the gorilla doesn’t look at you in a lustful way I rather them kill me then fuck me

I love how this thread turned into humans vs chimps

fighting nothing but striker did everything to avoid a wrestler at all cost only wrestle was chad mendes on 8 days notice who wrestle fucked im for 2 rounds till he gassed when conors 2 divisions larger than him

give anyone else that road and they will do much better losing like that to nate diaz proved what a overrated 1 dimensional fighter he was :(

And Conor of course

LOL at this...does anyone know if this was a serious post, or a troll attempt for sure???? If not, you have to be kidding me??? LOL.......Trust me, put Brock juiced out of his mind in there with even an orangutan that feels threatened, and he's ripped to shreds in in less than one minute, easy...
He is roght if lesnar is prepare he could probably beat a gorila fhey have same strength difference is that Lesnar is smarter and better wrestler it wpuld look like lesnar vs carwin.

Ape would hit lesnar wifh some hammerfist but lesnar would son take the gorilla down with a double leg and win with ground ans pound or submision. If werdum fight gorila he probably choke it in 5 second.

God what a great thread.

This is why I love Sherdog.

But to answer the one guys question I think 6 heavyweights could hold down a gorilla if they started on top

{<doc}

Last edited:
I know people are trolling. They have to be trolling. But I swear to God if one person in here thinks any human can fight and win against a bear or gorilla I will kill myself tonight.
There's a lot of dummies in this planet. I fondly remember laughing at bodybuilders who claimed that they 5 of them or something could take on a silverback gorilla in his prime.

It's absolutely ridiculous how ignorant a lot of people are on animal strength.

There is absolutely zero you can do against an adult primate or bear, unarmed. They will tear you apart like a paper tissue.

Back