[Rumour] Tybura has still two fights left with M1 Global

M-1 needs some new blood quickly in the HW division, they could try to bring in Bedorf ...
I dunno if there's some young fighter coming out of the MixFighter experiment ...

The HW they've I can think of r:

Marcin Tybura
Dennis Smoldarev
Sergei Kharitonov
Kenny Garner
Damian Grabowski
Konstantin Gluhov
Satoshi Ishii
Shamil Abdurahimov (15-2)
Murad Izmailov (4-0, interesting fighter)
Aslambek Musaev (4-1)
Mikhail Gazaev (3-0)
Chaban Ka
Jeff Monson
Kurban Ibragimov

IMHO too much difference in quality between the top fighters and the up-and-comers ... or, better, fighters like Izmailov and Musaev should start fighting Garner, Gluhov and similar fighters.

What is MixFighter?

I'd like to see him fight Kharitonov.

Last edited:
I think Kharitonov would fuck his ass up. Off topic, but Kharitnov's walkouts in PRIDE were so bad ass.

Ishi is one of the few M1 heavies who matches well with Tybura. He wouldnt allow himself to be grapple fucked like these other guys Tybura has been beating. If Tybura clowns Ishi on the ground like the rest of his opponents that would be a huge statement.

I actually agree, M-1 has the second best HW division, which would pull out in front even more if Minakov does retire for politics. Which is not entirely surprising. Bellators top 3 HW's are Minakov, Volkov and Ivanov, and their best prospect is Sosnovskiy. All 4 of those fighters are from the regions where M-1 recruits talent from.

Yeah, for years many real talented HWs have come from Russia, Ukraine,... UFC just picked up a very talented Russian HW Konstantin Erokhin. It'll be interesting to see how he does there.

Ishi is one of the few M1 heavies who matches well with Tybura. He wouldnt allow himself to be grapple fucked like these other guys Tybura has been beating. If Tybura clowns Ishi on the ground like the rest of his opponents that would be a huge statement.

You have a good point about Ishii beeing a tough style match-up for Tybura. Tybura did just out grapple and submit a sambo champ though but Ishii is an Olympic judoka so it would be tough style match.

You have a good point about Ishii beeing a tough style match-up for Tybura. Tybura did just out grapple and submit a sambo champ though but Ishii is an Olympic judoka so it would be tough style match.

That guy Tybura just submitted had blue belt level grappling at best. Just a very powerful guy with a judo background who kicked the shit out of some guys on the sambo circuit with his striking. But watching him grapple with Tybura it was evident hes very low level compared to someone with a brown belt like Tybura. Had side control and was big and strong enough to control but instead allowed Tybura to shrimp and squirm out and get his back rather effortlessly. Then on the ground turning to the opposite side of the choke. Just very elementary grappling.

Much lower level than what Ishii will bring after spending so much time in California training with Cain, DC, King Mo, Munoz, Werdum etc.

Would be interesting to see.

what level of grappling does damian grabowski have

Hi guys, long time lurker (new poster) here...

Been following the M1 Heavyweight scene since M1 Challenge 21.

- Gugenishvili was supposed to fight Grishin for inaugural HW title
- Grishin injured, Gugenishvili beat replacement Garner I for inaugural HW title
- Gugenishvili beat Grishin defending HW title
- Gugenishvili was supposed to defend HW title against Garner
- Gugenishvili injured, Garner beat replacement Grishin for interim HW title
- Garner beat Malikov defending interim HW title
- Garner beat Gugenishvili II to unify HW title
- Garner beat Gugenishvili III defending HW title
- Grabowski beat Garner for HW title
- Tybura (M1 Heavyweight GP winner) beat Grabowski for HW title
- Tybura beat Smoldarev defending HW title

Been a very interesting period of time...the Gugenishvili/Garner trilogy was awesome, but it is crazy to see that neither are remotely near the title picture anymore. Since losing the title, Gugenishvili hasn't fought in M1, and only has a sole win over Tony Bonello in IGF. Former contender Malikov succumbed to an injury in the M1 Heavyweight GP and hasn't fought M1 since, only having a singe fight against Brett Rogers where he suffered that awful leg snap.

To be honest, the next contender for Tybura's title should have been decided in the fight between Sergei and Ishii. Both had picked up wins over strong heavyweights (Kudin and Monson respectively) in M1. With Ishii withdrawing, I think Garner (who has fallen hard) wasn't the best option to fight Sergei - Shamil Abdurahimov (who beat Garner at M1 Challenge 49) should have fought Sergei for that #1 contender spot.

Former champion Grabowski still looms significantly in the picture as well, defeating notable gatekeeper and fierce striker Konstantin Gluhov. If Sergei gets the next shot, then maybe lining Grabowski up with Abdurahimov would be best to determine the next in line. Ishii had his chance...but withdrawing with injury and then signing up to fight Cro Cop doesn't look too good IMO.

Exciting times...I think Tybura is definitely UFC quality, and defenses against Kharitonov and Grabowski/Abdurahimov would only solidify this. If Grabowski beats Abdurahimov and puts up a better showing against Tybura in his next fight, he too might be looked at closely by the UFC. Likewise, if Abdurahimov upsets Grabowski and takes the fight to Tybura, then the same could be said for him. I don't see Sergei beating Tybura unfortunately - wasn't overly impressive against Garner.

Awesome post for non-M-1 fans. What do you believe the turn around will be on Tybura- as in how long until his next fight? (UFC is dying for bodies, they need everyone they can get).

Forgot to mention that since Grishin's title shot, he won another M1 fight, and has now won another five straight outside the promotion.

I think 4-6 months for Tybura - he didn't receive too much damage against Smoldarev, to be fair. Tybura has a similar story to Cormier in that he was actually the reserve for the M1 Heavyweight GP when Malikov (I think?) withdrew with injury after beating Monson.

Garner has had a sharp fall from grace. Gluhov and Abdurahimov made him look pretty pedestrian, considering he is a former champion.

4-6, hopefully more the former

Anyone who followed the M1 Heavyweight GP would have enjoyed some of the craziness that ensued!

- the Heavyweight champ at the time (Garner) lost in the quarterfinals to Konstantin Gluhov, and then lost the title to contender Grabowski (who wasn't taking part in the GP) while the GP was still going!
- in the other quarterfinals, Chaban beat Kudin, Malikov beat Monson, and Smoldarev beat Ibragimov
- Tybura won the sole reserve match, but TWO fighters (recent contender Smoldarev and previous contender Malikov) withdrew with injury after winning their quarterfinal bouts! Tybura replaced Malikov and bashed Chaban Ka to go to the finals, but no replacement for Smoldarev was found so Gluhov was given a walkthrough to the final!
- Tybura dominated Gluhov with his grappling to win the GP while Grabowski won the title from Garner

Not long after, Garner lost to Gluhov again in a rematch.

I think things really started to potentially pick up when M1 newcomers Abdurahimov, Ishii and Kharitonov were catapulted into the limelight as heavyweight prospects ready to take the scene when they all soundly beat M1 GP quarterfinalists Garner, Monson and Kudin. With Grabowski and Gluhov pitted against each other as former title contenders both looking to maintain relevance in the division, it would make sense that two of the three newcomers would fight for a #1 contender spot.

Honestly, I believe Ishii ducked Kharitonov and shouldn't be considered. Garner didn't deserve to be in that match against Sergei, having been blasted by Gluhov twice, Grabowski AND Shamil, but fact is that there was every chance Sergei was going to beat Ishii anyway. In which case, I am of the belief that M1 shouldn't look to the Ishii/Cro Cop winner as a contender in any way, and Sergei needs that next shot.

My thoughts exactly. I like the way you think. Sergei vs Tybura and Grabowski vs Shamil for the next fights. Ishii wants to keep his brand healthy and won't take high risk low reward fights against prospects, or veterans who have the one punch KO wild card.

Hi guys, long time lurker (new poster) here...

Been following the M1 Heavyweight scene since M1 Challenge 21.

- Gugenishvili was supposed to fight Grishin for inaugural HW title
- Grishin injured, Gugenishvili beat replacement Garner I for inaugural HW title
- Gugenishvili beat Grishin defending HW title
- Gugenishvili was supposed to defend HW title against Garner
- Gugenishvili injured, Garner beat replacement Grishin for interim HW title
- Garner beat Malikov defending interim HW title
- Garner beat Gugenishvili II to unify HW title
- Garner beat Gugenishvili III defending HW title
- Grabowski beat Garner for HW title
- Tybura (M1 Heavyweight GP winner) beat Grabowski for HW title
- Tybura beat Smoldarev defending HW title

Been a very interesting period of time...the Gugenishvili/Garner trilogy was awesome, but it is crazy to see that neither are remotely near the title picture anymore. Since losing the title, Gugenishvili hasn't fought in M1, and only has a sole win over Tony Bonello in IGF. Former contender Malikov succumbed to an injury in the M1 Heavyweight GP and hasn't fought M1 since, only having a singe fight against Brett Rogers where he suffered that awful leg snap.

To be honest, the next contender for Tybura's title should have been decided in the fight between Sergei and Ishii. Both had picked up wins over strong heavyweights (Kudin and Monson respectively) in M1. With Ishii withdrawing, I think Garner (who has fallen hard) wasn't the best option to fight Sergei - Shamil Abdurahimov (who beat Garner at M1 Challenge 49) should have fought Sergei for that #1 contender spot.

Former champion Grabowski still looms significantly in the picture as well, defeating notable gatekeeper and fierce striker Konstantin Gluhov. If Sergei gets the next shot, then maybe lining Grabowski up with Abdurahimov would be best to determine the next in line. Ishii had his chance...but withdrawing with injury and then signing up to fight Cro Cop doesn't look too good IMO.

Exciting times...I think Tybura is definitely UFC quality, and defenses against Kharitonov and Grabowski/Abdurahimov would only solidify this. If Grabowski beats Abdurahimov and puts up a better showing against Tybura in his next fight, he too might be looked at closely by the UFC. Likewise, if Abdurahimov upsets Grabowski and takes the fight to Tybura, then the same could be said for him. I don't see Sergei beating Tybura unfortunately - wasn't overly impressive against Garner.

He's dead, bro.

Forgot to mention that since Grishin's title shot, he won another M1 fight, and has now won another five straight outside the promotion.

I think 4-6 months for Tybura - he didn't receive too much damage against Smoldarev, to be fair. Tybura has a similar story to Cormier in that he was actually the reserve for the M1 Heavyweight GP when Malikov (I think?) withdrew with injury after beating Monson.

Garner has had a sharp fall from grace. Gluhov and Abdurahimov made him look pretty pedestrian, considering he is a former champion.

Grishin has been on an awesome run since he dropped down, and I hope we see him in the big leagues soon!

Back