Rumor: Ryan Hall on TUF 22

Dave Jacobs is standing by with a plate of pasta waiting for some fool to step up to Ryan. If you have been bitched out by Ryan, like make a move, magn.

ryan-hall.jpg

Ryan "will break your shit" Hall

This is why I honestly think Ryan can win the whole thing. The ground game is so simplistic in MMA that a black belt who properly trains his BJJ for MMA is going to give people problems.

Yeah and not only that but he has other dimensions and bjj meta games he can dive into if people start catching on. I think he'll do really good until he runs into some really good guys. I don't know if I'll keep watching until he fights again but I'll check it out tomorrow and see.

The best grappler I personally know is pretty similar to how a lot of you guys describe Ryan. On the mat he is super serious. He always pushes the pace, no mercy. It's up to you to watch out for your safety (tap fast and clearly). I've heard people yell out in pain only to get yelled at more because they didn't protect themself. Very blunt about grading his students, you better have thick skin if you want to be his student. Off the mat, super super nice and friendly guy. Everyone in the gym loves him. Has a ton of high level friends. He gets some hate from guys around town, mostly guys who haven't experienced rolling with someone so intense.

I assume most of the top guys are like this.

Years ago I trained at a Nogi school and quite a few UFC fighters visited
and rolled. I was average Blue belt level and rolled evenly or better than a few of them.One guy had just won TUF and I was shocked at how unskilled on the ground he was.Quite a few fighters just have the gameplan of sprawl and brawl, then hold on for the referee standup.

Who was it? lol.
What are a few examples of Sprawl n Brawl fighter who hold on and wait for a stand-up?

Corey anderson, Eddie gordon, court mcgee, whittaker, colton smith, ross pearson are the only ones I can think of with suspect grpund games.

I believe these winners are black belts:
Evans
Nelson
Shoe face*
Griffin
Sanchez
Lutter
Cezar
Stevenson
Wilks
Serra
Diaz
Jason
Brandao
Santos*
Holdsworth

I believe these guys are colored belts:
Parke
Grove
Alves
Ferguson
Chiesa
Escudero
Gastelum is a purple I believe but has subbed black belts.

Agreed, it is bigger than ever. -- German actually had a family obligation and moved back up to NY. They had a nice going away celebration for him.

Do you train there? are there separate competition practices or how does that work?

It seems like the list on the website is updated because the results posted are recent. I never understood how gyms decide to list some competition team people and not others. What people on the list still train there?

It helps when people that actually train there can give insight.

A think a really competitive blue to purple seems to be the BJJ level for a lot of pro mma guys.

Sounds about right. I was at a NAGA a few months ago and saw Al Iaquinta get smoked by a blue belt. I think he was ranked 8th at lightweight at the time.

[YT]VtDckkzPI-s[/YT]

It's fairly accurate.

If you are truly confused of that definition you likely just started training or don't train with any lower belt world champions AND hobbyist black belts.

This reminds me of Worlds 2 years ago.I figured it was my last shot at Bluebelt I was rolling fairly even with competitive Purple Belts and thought I had a great shot to medal.I trained my ass off,dieted, did a Worlds camp, and did every open mat in the area.The brackets came out and I knew my first opponent and looked two matches past him to a guy I saw win alot and was ranked. Well I lost my first match by refs decision and words can not explain how upset I was. Then I saw that the guy I was looking forward to going against got Berimboloed and choked in his first match. That guy then Berimboloed and choked every single competitor to gold(about 6 matches). I got in a conversation with a team mate of his (Heavyweight Purple) and dude said that that guy came from Brazil and dominated just about everyone at their Worlds camp including their BBs. I haven't done another Worlds at Adult since. LOL. If you look in the results, many of the guys that Medal at Blue belt end up medaling at Purple the very next year, then Brown the year after that. IMO to medal at Blue Belt in one of the deep divisions(Feather- Medium Heavy) you have to be at least at competitive Brown belt level.

You got to be nutty to be a BB even nuttier to be a top level BB. Michael Jordan was a douche too btw

I been saying it Rockholds' jitz, I mean jiu jitsu is legit. this fight vs Weidman is going to be great.

It's funny you guys in the grappling forum also feel this way. When I was saying this in the heavies, guys were talking about how Rockhold would be dominated on the ground.

Maybe. That Imanari roll is still pretty suspect as a go-to TD. But I'm starting to believe.

Honestly, under UFC rulesets the inverted shot isn't actually that risky.

1. If Ryan goes for it, and gets a good grip on the leg, he's where he wants to be. He attacks locks, while the other guy defends.
2. He shoots but can't get a grip on the leg. The other guy slips out and can either back off to force Ryan to stand up, or he can engage Ryan who is on his back. Let's say the guy wants to engage. He can either engage him grappling and try to pass guard and what not, but this gives Ryan the opportunity to attack the legs again. Let's say he wants to gnp. He can't soccer kick Ryan under the rules, so he needs to use hands to gnp, which forces him to engage Ryan at a range where his legs can be accessed again. Or if he backs off, then Ryan stands up and they reset again.
3. Ryan shoots, gets leg and the opponent immediately tries to gnp. Ryan can off-balance and then keep working attacks.
4.Ryan gets hit shooting in. It's much less likely you're going to get hit coming in with an inverted shot compared to a regular shot. And it'll generally be illegal for someone to leg strike you while you're doing an inverted shot since you'll be on your back.

It's funny you guys in the grappling forum also feel this way. When I was saying this in the heavies, guys were talking about how Rockhold would be dominated on the ground.

1. If Ryan goes for it, and gets a good grip on the leg, he's where he wants to be. He attacks locks, while the other guy defends.
2. He shoots but can't get a grip on the leg. The other guy slips out and can either back off to force Ryan to stand up, or he can engage Ryan who is on his back. Let's say the guy wants to engage. He can either engage him grappling and try to pass guard and what not, but this gives Ryan the opportunity to attack the legs again. Let's say he wants to gnp. He can't soccer kick Ryan under the rules, so he needs to use hands to gnp, which forces him to engage Ryan at a range where his legs can be accessed again. Or if he backs off, then Ryan stands up and they reset again.
3. Ryan shoots, gets leg and the opponent immediately tries to gnp. Ryan can off-balance and then keep working attacks.
4.Ryan gets hit shooting in. It's much less likely you're going to get hit coming in with an inverted shot compared to a regular shot. And it'll generally be illegal for someone to leg strike you while you're doing an inverted shot since you'll be on your back.

I totally agree. It's trickier to pull off, but when your goal is to get to the bottom, all you really need is for your opponent to not back out at the last second. Good timing takes care of most of that. Let's also not forget that he's not going to be facing anything near top-10level competition in this tournament. He can be fairly confident that he's better at these attacks than his opponents are at defending them.

I just don't see the tactics he's displayed so far as "risky," at least not in this situation. He's proven that he can reliably hit his moves, that he can defend (and even deliver) strikes once he gets there, and then finish. Add in the tournament-friendly fight durations, and I'd say he's been conservative up to this point by keeping to his wheelhouse.

I do expect, though, that we'll see him leaning on that roll less heavily going forward, after showing those cards in the first two fights.

Man, i'm a growing up 43 years old man, university/college teacher (enginering), i have other things to do than making shit up about people...

But you have time to come here and give a vague story about a highly respected person, and make back handed comments about the "bjj community" and how they don't believe your holey story? Seems legit.

I'm surprised Rockhold's ground game gets underrated in the heavies. I thought most people that watched him fight knew that his grappling on the floor is really solid. The most exciting aspect of Weidman/Rockhold to me is the potential ground fighting we could see.

I agree about the inverted shot.

But you have time to come here and give a vague story about a highly respected person, and make back handed comments about the "bjj community" and how they don't believe your holey story? Seems legit.

So he gave the name of the gym, the time it happened, what happened, and the name of the dude it happened too, all of which I've heard confirmed by other people at the gym, and it's vague to you? Do you want his credit card number and his first born as a personal slave too?

The dude hurt his friend in a way that was uncalled for (seriously, injuring someone on purpose is not ok anywhere). I can see why he's upset, and why he'd want it to be known.

I'm surprised Rockhold's ground game gets underrated in the heavies. I thought most people that watched him fight knew that his grappling on the floor is really solid. The most exciting aspect of Weidman/Rockhold to me is the potential ground fighting we could see.

Neither Weidman or Rockhold will concede the bottom position though, and neither will hunt sweeps/subs from the bottom. The grappling exchanges are likely to be grinding wrestling exchanges more than anything.

I think it's at least partially that "power corrupts". Wrongly, we sometimes put the BB on a pedestal and give them more power than they deserve, and some take advantage of that or start thinking that their poop doesn't stink. That goes to some people's head and leads to problems.

We're not talking about "the corrupting influence of power". If he's cranked a legitimately dangerous technique like heelhooks because he was pissed that's inexcusable. But go into ANY college wrestling room with nationally ranked or elite guys...

And you see that same intensity and being ready to start a fistfight because they got scored on or are struggling that day. Or they are just extra physical and grind/crossface you extra hard or slam you extra hard, and/or just go/train at higher intensity to the point of being a dick...all the time

You can psuedo psycho-analyze it, or say you couldn't do it, or say that's mentally unhealthy. But that kind of mentality, obsession, intensity to the point of being a dick, and simply being selfish during training is much more common than the relaxed guys like Marcelo or Cael Sanderson who just train hard. Then a lot of those guys will be completely chill or cool after practice/working out is done. I've seen or heard about it in every combat sport MMA (T.J. Dillishaw), Judo, boxing, and wrestling

There are A LOT of respected wrestlers who if you know people who trained with them were absolute dicks during training. But you would never know it if you didn't know the right people

Neither Weidman or Rockhold will concede the bottom position though, and neither will hunt sweeps/subs from the bottom. The grappling exchanges are likely to be grinding wrestling exchanges more than anything.

They won't concede bottom but whoever ends up on top if there's a takedown you wouldn't be interested in seeing what they try to do and how that could play out? Even if it's just someone getting taken down and fighting hard to stand back up I think it will be an exciting fight. I don't know as much about Rockhold's specific game as Weidman's but Weidman has awesome head control from the top and I think he can keep almost anyone on their back if he needs to. Even if it's a grinding wrestling exchange I think it will be fun.

So he gave the name of the gym, the time it happened, what happened, and the name of the dude it happened too, all of which I've heard confirmed by other people at the gym, and it's vague to you? Do you want his credit card number and his first born as a personal slave too?

The dude hurt his friend in a way that was uncalled for (seriously, injuring someone on purpose is not ok anywhere). I can see why he's upset, and why he'd want it to be known.

Only after trying to drag it out of him did he give the name and the gym. Did it lend more credit to the story? Sure it did. Is it still a sketchy story since we're only hearing one side and it's second hand from someones friend? Sure it is and if you can't see that then you're an idiot.

You guys wanna fucking cry about someone hurting someone and blast the guy on the internet but then say "i've said too much" when people start asking more questions or don't believe you, and then off you go dick tucking into the sunset on your high horse.

If a dude is straight up hurting people ON PURPOSE when that person did absolutely nothing to deserve it (your friend is such a nice guy and never does anything wrong but then again the same can be said for Hall in this instance, right?) and banned from gyms, then out the reason and the gyms he's banned from or fuck off. Plain and simple.

You guys are cool enough to tell these stories from the anonymity of your screen name, why not go full balls out? :cool:

And before you say, "Oh I can't say due to politics in the gym". Go fuck yourself with that cop out. No one is letting AJ Agazarm off the hook for acting like a ****, why should someone like Hall get a free pass if he's hurting people ON PURPOSE like you're saying?

I think most of the people there just base it off of accolades instead of what he's actually demonstrated in the cage.

Only after trying to drag it out of him did he give the name and the gym. Did it lend more credit to the story? Sure it did. Is it still a sketchy story since we're only hearing one side and it's second hand from someones friend? Sure it is and if you can't see that then you're an idiot.

You guys wanna fucking cry about someone hurting someone and blast the guy on the internet but then say "i've said too much" when people start asking more questions or don't believe you, and then off you go dick tucking into the sunset on your high horse.

If a dude is straight up hurting people ON PURPOSE when that person did absolutely nothing to deserve it (your friend is such a nice guy and never does anything wrong but then again the same can be said for Hall in this instance, right?) and banned from gyms, then out the reason and the gyms he's banned from or fuck off. Plain and simple.

You guys are cool enough to tell these stories from the anonymity of your screen name, why not go full balls out? :cool:

And before you say, "Oh I can't say due to politics in the gym". Go fuck yourself with that cop out. No one is letting AJ Agazarm off the hook for acting like a ****, why should someone like Hall get a free pass if he's hurting people ON PURPOSE like you're saying?

Chill out, ryan.

It's not so much that I think it's risky, it's that I think it's not that effective as a go-to TD. Look at Imanari himself, once his opponents figured out how to back away from the roll, land a few shots, and reset he started losing right and left. It's a hard move to force compared to a double leg or a clinch -> TD.

Jeez. Guys are defending Ryan too hard. And the logic of "he is a good guy because he was good to me" doesn't make sense either. From my experience, the truth tends to be somewhere in the middle. He's a nice guy who can be a dick. I'm also a nice guy who can be a dick. I'm human.

I mean, damn, the guy meets like 1000 people a year. There's a chance he has a few bad days and shits on a handful of people. It's not impossible. It's actually pretty plausible. I think TUF will give us a bit more insight into his personality even though the show will only select the cuts that they want.

The people defending him seem to have him on a pedestal. The people eager to believe he's the antichrist also have him on a pedestal, they just want to see him knocked off.

Objectively, we should just accept what it is. He's likely a generally decent guy who can be a dick from time to time.

It's not so much that I think it's risky, it's that I think it's not that effective as a go-to TD. Look at Imanari himself, once his opponents figured out how to back away from the roll, land a few shots, and reset he started losing right and left. It's a hard move to force compared to a double leg or a clinch -> TD.

Well there is no perfect technique, and everything has a counter. For most people the rolls that Imanari used are not as effective as a go-to TD.

But that said, being one dimensional in anything will only get you so far and there's also plenty of fighters who have good doubles and good clinching who have been denied or countered from those and got beaten up from it. So I'm not saying the roll is a good go-to TD, I'm just saying that it's not actually that sketchy.

Working a double or clinch can be very taxing, and the reward is a takedown. From there you may land in side control if it was a good takedown, or maybe guard. Either way, you still need to keep progressing and working with gnp or passing to win on points/tko/sub.

But compared to a regular takedown, an inverted shot takes less commitment and energy, while offering a possibly high reward (an immediate leglock) with not too high of a risk (under UFC rules anyways).

Chill out, ryan.

Nah, I'm gonna go heel hook and crank some subs on some people on purpose right now. Probably just females though. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll hear about it...

Jeez. Guys are defending Ryan too hard. And the logic of "he is a good guy because he was good to me" doesn't make sense either. From my experience, the truth tends to be somewhere in the middle. He's a nice guy who can be a dick. I'm also a nice guy who can be a dick. I'm human.

I mean, damn, the guy meets like 1000 people a year. There's a chance he has a few bad days and shits on a handful of people. It's not impossible. It's actually pretty plausible. I think TUF will give us a bit more insight into his personality even though the show will only select the cuts that they want.

The people defending him seem to have him on a pedestal. The people eager to believe he's the antichrist also have him on a pedestal, they just want to see him knocked off.

Objectively, we should just accept what it is. He's likely a generally decent guy who can be a dick from time to time.

This sums up everything nicely.

Most world champion purple belts would be competitive with world medalist brown and black belts. A guy like Keenan Cornelius when he was a purple belt would wreck the average black belt. The amount of incremental mat time a professional grappler gets between blue and purple belt is more than most people get between purple and black, not to mention that for the pro that mat time is going to be much more intense and most likely with much better coaching and training partners than the amateur guy.

The belt system provides essentially no useful information in comparing professional competitors with amateurs, even relatively serious amateurs. That's why I'm phrasing everything in terms of mat time, because belts are largely a function of calendar time but skill isn't.

From my limited personal experience, I tend to agree that purple belt World's medalist is probably the level where "regular" black belts are going to have a competitive roll, and in some cases, get beat. Having rolled with a blue belt who won World's that year and a purple belt who did the same (both at AOJ, and both when I was a newish purple), the purple seemed to be around the level of most of the BBs I've rolled with. The blue was extremely tough, but the purple worked me over at approximately the level most black belts did at the time.

spot on

TBH I use to use a now illegal drug called ephedrine.

It was banned after some dipshit in the late nineties took like half a bottle of ripped fuel and thought it would be a good idea to go jog with a sweat suit on in the summer in Florida and blew his heart up.

I would take copius amounts of ole skool Xenadrine, and Hydroxycut, Ripped Fuel. I'd workout hard and my heart never stopped. maybe cause I didn't take half the GD bottle:icon_idea and then there was the whole meth thing. but I want my ephedrine back in my energy boosters:( that shit was Fantastic bro.

You'd work a twelve hour shift, drive all night, lay your girlfriend like a madman, then stay up watching three stooges reruns till 3 am....Late nineties good times. anyway seeing that this is the grappling forum I can only imagine how I would now be able to roll on ephedrine lol.

I used to use this stuff called dimedadrine extreme, forgot how it was spelled. Anyway I took it when I was physical techniques instructor at the border patrol academy. I would take it in the morning, lift heavy, then after lunch I would teach 2 classes. This includes calisthenics and running on top of the skill work, dm, handcuffing and stuff like that. Then I would go home and run again with my wife.

That shit was amazing. I don't think I could survive with that shit anymore. My heart might explode.

And the logic of "he is a good guy because he was good to me" doesn't make sense either.

Well, we are not supposed to give an opinion based on real life experience with the person?
Saying someone is "good" or a "dick" is a fucking opinion. An opinion is specific to the person giving it. It is not a fact as shit like this is never a fact.

We're not talking about "the corrupting influence of power". If he's cranked a legitimately dangerous technique like heelhooks because he was pissed that's inexcusable. But go into ANY college wrestling room with nationally ranked or elite guys...

And you see that same intensity and being ready to start a fistfight because they got scored on or are struggling that day. Or they are just extra physical and grind/crossface you extra hard or slam you extra hard, and/or just go/train at higher intensity to the point of being a dick...all the time

You can psuedo psycho-analyze it, or say you couldn't do it, or say that's mentally unhealthy. But that kind of mentality, obsession, intensity to the point of being a dick, and simply being selfish during training is much more common than the relaxed guys like Marcelo or Cael Sanderson who just train hard. Then a lot of those guys will be completely chill or cool after practice/working out is done. I've seen or heard about it in every combat sport MMA (T.J. Dillishaw), Judo, boxing, and wrestling

There are A LOT of respected wrestlers who if you know people who trained with them were absolute dicks during training. But you would never know it if you didn't know the right people

Training hard and cranking subs is an unfair comparison. One is just painful and gruelling the other legitimately injures someone. There is no way any Judo, Boxing, or Wrestling coach is letting athletes on their team purposefully injure each other.

When you crank a sub you are purposefully injuring someone. Huge difference.

In the grand scheme, there doesnt seem to be that many negatives stories considering how many people have probably trained at the gym. This is going to be an epic season of TUF if he makes it into the house.

He has to win his first fight right to make it into the house?

I've trained at 50/50 for almost 2 years and have never had any concern for my safety when training with Ryan or any of the other students there. I have also never seen or had any indication that would cause me to question Ryan's character. Every interaction I have had with Ryan has proved his character to me.

Unfortunately there is no way to defend against random accusations on the internet, especially when almost no details are provided. From what I have seen Ryan can be very blunt even in his public comments, and there are a lot of reasons historically, such as beef with TLI that people might create such rumors. You even see the legs that such rumors have on the internet, such as the one that was dispelled about him injuring a female training partner. Its already been disproven and yet we are still talking about it. The only thing I see in this thread is one guy who has 3rd hand information (hearsay) and that is not any kind of proof that should be taken seriously.

Based on what I have witnessed with my own eyes and through my own training, which is that I find these rumors to be impossible to believe.

Best Regards,
Greg Jones

Well, we are not supposed to give an opinion based on real life experience with the person?
Saying someone is "good" or a "dick" is a fucking opinion. An opinion is specific to the person giving it. It is not a fact as shit like this is never a fact.

Personal opinion is fine. Opinion is not fact. The problem is asserting that Ryan is a good guy based on your experience. That doesn't make sense. He was good to you. It doesn't mean he is good to others.

More than one serial killer has been known to be charismatic and personable. So there's that. Sure a guy being a dick is subjective. But the problem I'm seeing is that guys are defending him as if it were impossible for the guy to be a dick. He's a know it all kind of guy. That's dick-ish to begin with. It's possible for him to be a dick. Very possible.

So my point is that the logic is flawed. "He was nice to me therefore he is a good guy." He was good to you.

I've trained at 50/50 for almost 2 years and have never had any concern for my safety when training with Ryan or any of the other students there. I have also never seen or had any indication that would cause me to question Ryan's character. Every interaction I have had with Ryan has proved his character to me.

Unfortunately there is no way to defend against random accusations on the internet, especially when almost no details are provided. From what I have seen Ryan can be very blunt even in his public comments, and there are a lot of reasons historically, such as beef with TLI that people might create such rumors. You even see the legs that such rumors have on the internet, such as the one that was dispelled about him injuring a female training partner. Its already been disproven and yet we are still talking about it. The only thing I see in this thread is one guy who has 3rd hand information (hearsay) and that is not any kind of proof that should be taken seriously.

Based on what I have witnessed with my own eyes and through my own training, which is that I find these rumors to be impossible to believe.

Best Regards,
Greg Jones

Do you know if he made it into the house on TUF?

Lets argue logically then.

Being a jerk implies that they act like a jerk. If you spend a ton of time around someone and they never act like a jerk you have never seen any proof of them acting like a jerk, couldn't you reasonably conclude with high likely hood that they are not a jerk? Isn't this how we form opinions of everyone?

I am not saying that everyone is 100% good or 100% bad. I am also not saying that people don't in moments of stress do things that are out of character. However, I am saying that to me the likelyhood of Ryan purposefully injuring someone is 100% opposite with my view of what kind of person he is.

You may not feel that there is a lot of weight behind this statement. However I feel equally strongly that some random guy saying that "he hurt a friend of a friend of mine on purpose, but I can't tell you who or when or where it happened" is not as credible to me as my own personal experience.

Back