Rumor: Ryan Hall on TUF 22

To the other people arguing that everyone is human and hero worship can go too far, I agree. But having an off day or telling someone off is really 1000% different than intentionally injuring someone. That kind of attitude has no place in a good gym IMO and I would not train at a place that fostered that kind of atmosphere.

I mostly just lurk on here so that's pretty much my final word on it.

Train hard and train safe. Oss.

I agree.

I wasn't there. But I think it's plausible. If it's true, I'm sure it'll catch up to him eventually.

I'd like to go back some day but honestly, I wouldn't go back unless I felt competent enough to where I won't be told I am bad and not able to give a decent roll (if you pull guard for example and aren't making him move he will just stand there, talk to people, stare at the ceiling, etc... which to me is a reflection on my abilities).

Sounds like a good partner to me. If you're going to pull guard, work from there...don't just wait for them to pass your guard.

And I haven't said anything in this tread yet, but my opinion is this...
Blunt people are not dicks, they are just that. Blunt. If you've trained with Reilly, he's pretty much the same way on the mat and is quick to say when you're doing something that's stupid. But at the same time, he's probably the nicest guy off the mat(unless you're playing him in MtG, then he's more ruthless than on the mat). That's how I imagine Ryan to be... the Donald Trump of grappling. He'll tell you that you suck and then talk about taxing China. But if you're not training, he'll be helpful as anyone.

As far as injuring training partners on purpose and blah blah blah... I haven't heard any first hand accounts of it happening, so it's not a basket I'll throw all my eggs into. Sure it could have happened, but you never know unless you hear from someone who it happened to or from Ryan himself.

People just have different experiences with people. I think I can only name Marcelo as the only one that everyone had a positive experience with.. even BJJ Jesus, there is probably someone who thinks he is a dick.

The ironic thing is that some of MG's bread & butter stuff would get him labeled a dick in a different training environment. A lot of his short chokes are basically trachea crushes. The north-south choke easily becomes a neck crank. He used to teach the 100% sweep as a go-to option.

He encourages hard, high energy rolling. I remember one instructional where he was saying you have to commit to your butterfly sweep like a judo player committing to a throw - really launch your opponent and blast em to the mat. He even smacked the mat with his hand for emphasis.

Marcelo just does it all so cleanly and with a huge smile on his face so that we all go bawww. Time to turn this into a "MG is a dick" thread!

The ironic thing is that some of MG's bread & butter stuff would get him labeled a dick in a different training environment. A lot of his short chokes are basically trachea crushes. The north-south choke easily becomes a neck crank. He used to teach the 100% sweep as a go-to option.

He encourages hard, high energy rolling. I remember one instructional where he was saying you have to commit to your butterfly sweep like a judo player committing to a throw - really launch your opponent and blast em to the mat. He even smacked the mat with his hand for emphasis.

Marcelo just does it all so cleanly and with a huge smile on his face so that we all go bawww. Time to turn this into a "MG is a dick" thread!

I've trained at a lot of gyms, but never one in which trachea crushes are banned. A lot of chokes end up that way and everyone seems to accept that. Same idea with intense rolling---pretty much any great grappler from any sport is going to emphasize it. It's not possible to be elite without tons of hard rolling.

As for neck cranks, ask anyone who has experienced Marcelo's NS choke and I bet you it didn't feel like a neck crank to them. Wasn't aware he used to teach the 100% though.

High energy rolling? Butterfly sweeps done with authority? Slapping the mat for emphasis?

That's a real stretch to try to equate those things to the things that have been attributed to Ryan Hall (purposely injuring a training partner, chest stomping a visiting blue belt, being a general dick.)

Lol, take it easy. It's a joke. I worship BJJ Jesus too

I hate trachea crushes, i had a 2 week time that i had trouble eatingg

why is that bad? and what is the 100% sweep anyway

The 100% sweep has a bunch of different names: the cowcatcher, the iron cross, the crucifix sweep. It comes from wrestling. Some schools consider it a "not nice" move because of its potential for neck cranking. In fact, it can be finished as a neck crank from a variety of positions.

MG taught it as a reliable part of his guard game in one of his early no-gi DVD sets. I think Renzo and Matt Serra both showed it in their older material too.

Here's Brian Peterson from Big John McCarthy's gym showing his "200% sweep" variation, lol. But he explains the 100% sweep first.

Here's Brian Peterson from Big John McCarthy's gym showing his "200% sweep" variation, lol. But he explains the 100% sweep first.

The initial sweep is shown in Renzo's ancient book, "mastering JuJitsu"

^ Hey, right! The book that Renzo did with Danaher! I remember it now. That was actually a great book for concepts. The intro alone was huge and written like an academic treatise, very insightful. Probably out of print by now.

But we are digressing from the thread. Now back to Ryan Hall's dick, etc.

^ Hey, right! The book that Renzo did with Danaher! I remember it now. That was actually a great book for concepts. The intro alone was huge and written like an academic treatise, very insightful. Probably out of print by now.

But we are digressing from the thread. Now back to Ryan Hall's dick, etc.

It was an academic dissertation: Danaher's doctoral thesis.

It wasn't meant to be a negative and definitely not to bum you out. While at first, even though I expected to be told I don't grapple well (because I know that already) it still made me a bit nervous. Plus the way I grappled wasn't normally what I could do in terms of flowing and chaining techniques. I was quite nervous and not really sure why.

But he told me I was bad, showed me I was bad - which is fine..

How exactly did he tell you that you weren't good? Just trying to determine if he is the sort of guy who is just completely honest or if he was a dick when he could have said the same thing without being a dick.

I've seen him tell other blackbelts, that they're jiujitsu sucked. So it must be pretty hard to get good enough for him to compliment you

Back