Rumor: Jones VS Gustafsson in the works for UFC 218

Gus with the 3rd undeserved shot

Wonder what he'll do after going 0-3

Curious who you'd consider a 'big' win for Jones but not for Gus. I'd say DC is the only one (who according to one of the judges Gus also beat). Maybe Machida, but he's a MW. Personally, I'd consider Shogun and Glover the biggest wins for Jones aside from DC, but Gus beat both of them too (more impressively vs Glover, less vs Shogun)

I think the truth is there really aren't any 'big' wins available for anyone in LHW aside from Gus, DC and Jones.

EDIT: Just looked back at Jones' record, I guess Bader and Rampage are pretty big wins but also feel anyone who'd consider those big wins would also have to consider Glover and Shogun as big wins as well (which would then obviously have to be considered big wins for Gus as well). I would've liked to see Gus fight both of those guys. I could see Gus winning a lopsided decision vs Rampage and either outpointing or possibly just getting humped to death by Bader.

I really don't understand why it's so hard for people on this forum to be fair and objective, the nuthuggery here has gotten out of control since I first joined.

Rampage machida Rashad bader DC and Gus himself

Gus is 2-3 against top 10 fighters

First fight was great.

But I kind of feel like Gus isn't any better than he was then. I think it would be easier to make case that he has regressed some opposed to getting better.

Last edited:
If Gus fights like the last time while resetting like he did against Glover, he would save cardio and not get as tired as he did against Jones. And it was the final rounds that caused to lose.

But I think Jones will be better prepared.
Resettting. Hmmmm that's a nice way of saying running away.

Awesome! Big fan of Gustafsson and am excited to see this rematch. He looked awesome against Glover so hopefully he brings that same A game against Jones. It will be interesting to see what adjustments both fighters make. Outside of some crazy KO, I see the rounds being very close again, so hopefully Gus can find a way to edge Jon on the scorecards. Perhaps mix in some takedowns here and there to score points.

My biggest fear is that Jon will take Gus down to prove that he can and elbow him into bolivian in the first or second round. If Jon decides to stand with Gus, I think it's a toss up and will be similar to the first fight with Gus getting the better of the punching exchanges and Jon racking up points with various kicks, both doing damage. Also, Gus better come in with amazing cardio. He can't afford to get exhausted in the championship rounds like he did against DC. Jon won't fade.

Jones will beat him quicker and easier than last time.

Wow, a third fucking gifted title-shot for Gustafsson.

Why not Volkan?

Get the tissues.
Gus is going to be crying a LOT after getting tko'd.

Jones 3.c0ke is stronger & bigger now.

Rampage machida Rashad bader DC and Gus himself

Gus is 2-3 against top 10 fighters

How are Rampage, Bader and Rashad bigger wins for Jones than Glover when Glover destroyed all 3 of them? That doesn't make any sense at all.

And you don't consider Shogun a big win for Jones? Really?

Excellent... That fight should be run back. Gus lost his re-match that waz all ready set up so I'm glad to see it's on. Not there's many more choices either, but I did wonder if Jones waz going to go to HW.

Gus didnt lose his rematch, he pulled out and then got KO'ed by Rumble

Good.

It's about time we see the rematch.

4 years later - Bravo

Well Alex looks to be at a high point, so maybe it's the best time to have it. Both of them have matured and both looking great right now. Seems ideal in a way.

May as well, its the only vaguely interesting fight for Jones without Rumble. Oezdemir needs one more good win, IMO.

Back