Rumble vs Cormier: Striking vs the Wrestler

a guy

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
This weekend we’ll be treated to a rematch for the light heavyweight title between Anthony “Rumble” Johnson and Daniel Cormier. The first fight saw Cormier recover from an early knockdown to dominate Johnson with his wrestling before finishing him with a rear naked choke in the third round. The second time around, I see two ways the fight plays out: Either Cormier hits his takedowns and outwrestles Johnson, or Rumble defends the takedowns and dominates with his striking. I see very little chance of Cormier winning on the feet or of Rumble winning on the ground. Considering the result of the first fight, I think it’s more interesting to discuss what Rumble can do to ensure he keeps the fight standing. We’ll start by looking at what went wrong the first time.

This was the first of many times Cormier got a hold of Johnson. Immediately after dropping Cormier with an overhand, Rumble goes in for the kill. He stalks Cormier towards the cage and once Cormier runs out of room he steps in with another big overhand. Notice the deep step of the lead foot combined with the dropping of the right hand and external rotation of the right foot. All of this indicates a loaded up punch from Rumble’s right hand, so Cormier easily ducks under the predictable overhand. Sacrificing distance, mobility and balance, Rumble throws his entire body into the punch and gives Cormier a free opportunity to wrestle. Cormier doesn’t even move his feet, Rumble does all the work for him. Throughout the fight, Rumble would find Cormier ducking under his punches and forcing him against the cage where he was caught in extended wrestling exchanges. All of that wrestling drained his energy and kept him from getting into his rhythm on the feet, which finally led to him shooting on Cormier, having his back taken and getting choked out. In order to avoid this in the rematch, Rumble will need to be much more measured and versatile with his striking, starting with his jab.

Despite being known for his superhuman power punching, Rumble actually has a very sharp jab in his arsenal. Here he snaps Phil Davis’ head back with it and claims the center of the cage with controlled footwork. A sharp, snapping jab is one of the most important tools a striker can use against a wrestler. It allows the striker to measure and control distance, hitting the opponent from the farthest distance possible while keeping both feet on the ground. This is one of the most important principles of striking against a wrestler—denying the opponent the position and range to shoot. To take an effective shot, the wrestler must step forward with his level lower than the opponent’s. Thrown correctly, the jab offers a serious threat but requires very little commitment and leaves few openings. It can be used to attack at the range a wrestler will be looking to set his shots up from, and the fighter can take angles while jabbing to make it very difficult for the wrestler to secure their legs or drive into their hips. Of course, the jab is also used to set up more devastating attacks.

Once the lead arm is established as a threat, it can be used for craftier purposes. As Teixeira steps forward, Rumble times him. He shoots his lead arm out, but what initially looks like a jab turns into a sneaky hand trap. A slapping hook to the right arm of Teixeira helps Rumble to line up his uppercut and convinces Teixeira to duck into it, while also serving to control the right arm and prevent it from being used to counter or defend. If you pay attention to Rumble’s fights, you’ll see him using his lead arm for this type of control constantly to set up some of his best knockouts.

Alternate angle slowmo

Rumble makes great use of his lead hand to control Little Nog as he tees off for the finish. Holding Nog in place and taking his right hand out of the equation, Rumble unloads with right hooks around the guard and uppercuts between it. By pinning the right arm of the opponent and attacking with his own, he makes it difficult for the opponent to escape because he can feel their movement. This allows him to pick his shots very intelligently and the combination of his power shots on the one side and his control of the other make counters unlikely. When the opponent does try to move, his control is dynamic enough to keep up.

After hurting Gustafsson, Rumble leads with a high kick before swarming. As he attacks, he uses his left hand to line up his punches before unloading with his right. When he attacks with his left, his right arm transitions to control instead. This allows him to keep the pressure on and pick shots, landing even on a moving target while keeping his opponent purely on the defensive. His controlling arm is used to blind the opponent, measure distance, feel where the opponent is going and manipulate their balance.

In wrestling, the hands are considered the first line of defense. When the opponent gets past the hands, the forearms are the next line of defense. Rumble has a system that allows him to transition from offensive striking to defensive grappling as his head control can also be turned into frames to directly prevent opponents from closing distance.

After missing with a right hand, Rumble shoots out a jab. Manuwa ducks it, looking to come in underneath it and get a hold of Rumble, but Rumble snaps the jab back and jams his left forearm across Manuwa’s throat. Physically stopping Manuwa’s advance with this frame, he then stands Manuwa up tall with an uppercut that narrowly misses as Manuwa pulls back. Rumble throws his left kick with the distance created before again blinding and measuring Manuwa with his left hand as he recovers from the kick to line up a deadly overhand. His ability to control and frame with his arms allows him to keep opponents off him when they get past his jab, and is a huge factor in denying wrestlers the distance and position to shoot on him. In addition to this, he also makes great use of angles.

While there’s a lot of subtlety that could be analyzed here, the most important aspect is Rumble’s footwork. Davis makes multiple attempts to rush him, but each time Rumble pivots off sharply to get off the line of attack and kill Davis’ momentum. First Rumble attacks with his uppercut using the same setup that caught Teixeira and angles off to his right when Davis charges, pushing Davis past him with his right hand. He almost caught Davis with the uppercut so he tries it again, this time cutting off to his left when Davis ducks the uppercut and clinches. He tries to break the clinch while circling to the left with a left hook but Davis maintains control and sets up a shot. However, Rumble sprawls back at an angle, taking his hips in the opposite direction while blocking Davis’ head with his left forearm and then posting with his left arm as he stands up to maintain distance. Rumble used his excellent angles and control with his hands to keep Davis off his hips throughout the fight, and should look to do the same against Cormier.

While so far this article has focused on striking against a wrestler by denying opportunities to shoot, a second important principle is punishing the attempts to shoot. A wrestler who is allowed to shoot with impunity can continue to regardless of whether or not he gets stuffed. In a lot of cases, he only needs to succeed once to win the round or even the fight. As a result, the striker must look to skew the risk vs reward in their favor. As you may have noticed in the previous examples, Rumble does this with his uppercut.

Every time Davis changed levels, Rumble tried to catch him ducking into an uppercut. He didn’t manage to drop Davis with it like he did Gustafsson and Teixeira, but he did hurt Davis and make it dangerous for him to shoot. Note again the angles Rumble uses as he implements the uppercut strategically. He’ll need to make liberal use of that uppercut against Cormier in order to deter his wrestling. Ideally, he should be combine it with his overhand to set up a deadly double threat. If Cormier leans back to pull from the uppercut, he’s open to the overhand. If he ducks the overhand, he’s open to the uppercut. Rumble will need to pick his shots intelligently and avoid committing to wide, predictable swings without establishing his distance. He’ll also need to keep his eyes open in exchanges and be prepared to adjust on the fly.

Rumble starts stepping his right foot forward to throw his left kick but Davis ducks in to shoot. Rumble immediately bails on the kick and shoots his hips back. He uses an overhook with his left arm and a pivot to his left to turn Davis into a right hook, left hook combination as he breaks out of the clinch. This adaptability will be key in the rematch—especially considering Rumble spent the entire second round on his back after Cormier caught one of his kicks. He’ll need to be very careful with his kicks because he almost always throws out that left kick when he thinks the opponent is hurt, and letting the man with the best singles in MMA catch your leg is always bad news. I’d like to see him focus more on setting up his hands, only kicking when he has Cormier reacting to his punches.

Rumble has a tough job ahead of him. He’ll need to use his jab, head control and frames to measure distance, keep Cormier off him and set up his shots, pick his shots carefully to catch Cormier out of position without opening himself up, and use his angles to stay off the cage and defend Cormier’s shots. This is what he looks like at his best:

Rumble starts by controlling the center, slowly walking Manuwa back towards the cage. When Manuwa shoots out a jab to keep him away, Rumble follows it back with his own jab and lands a nice low kick as Manuwa retreats. As he recovers from the kick, he transitions his weight smoothly into a hard 3-2 combo that pushes Manuwa all the way to the fence. Knowing he’s in danger, Manuwa steps in behind his jab and ducks into a clinch attempt as Rumble squares up to throw a big overhand. While this is what got him in trouble against Cormier, here he is able to whip his right leg around with a hard pivot before shifting his weight over it with a left hook. This sharp angle creates space which Johnson then uses to put a right hand behind the hook as Manuwa attempts to shoot. Rumble extends his lead arm to measure, but as soon as he realizes Manuwa is getting underneath him he clamps his forearm down and sprawls his hips back at an angle to his right. He maintains control with his frame as he throws an uppercut, overhand, uppercut combination—moving out to his right the entire time. In this short sequence we see his control of the octagon, his jab, his powerful overhand, his head control and frames, his uppercuts and his angles. He’ll need to combine all of these with the same level of fluidity in order to defeat Daniel Cormier.

Cormier is smart, tough and strong. When he can’t get his man down he’ll use a powerful single collar tie to break down the posture and land brutal uppercuts. If he manages to get an underhook, he’ll pin the opponent against the cage and work them from there. Once he has a hold of a leg, a whole series of finishes (most famously his high crotch lift) are going to be chained together relentlessly until the opponent goes down or exerts a ton of energy defending. Rumble needs to avoid giving up any of these positions, just as Cormier needs to avoid the overhand right, uppercut and left kick of Johnson. It’s a compelling matchup and on Saturday we’ll see if Anthony Johnson can make the necessary adjustments to stifle the Olympian.

For more of my analysis please check out my blog:

http://cagecraft.net/

Great post, good insights and explanations. Thanks!

My opinion in a simplistic sense is that Rumble's issue with his striking is that he lacks patience. He's to quick to over commit to his shot's, a common theme with guys who are big 1 shot KO punchers. Rumble is explosive and powerful but he doesn't take the time to really set up his shots. Cormier on the other hand is very patient when setting up his takedowns and unlike some of the other wrestlers mentioned doesn't over-commit (which vs Rumble will get you KTFO). Further, unlike Davis or Manwa Cormier is far more compact and comes in behind his punches with good head movement and level changes to set up his TD's. In short, when Rumble over-commits or misses Cormeir he doesn't have the same space to recover and defend the TD as he did vs Davis or Manwa (longer fighters, more hip separation). Cormeir being far more compact and with quicker feet is right on top of Rumble when he over-commits (belly to belly) and is able to smother his power and his ability to defend the TD.

In short, the fights about "commitment issues" and the fact that Cormeir is a more patient and calculated wrestler than Rumble is a striker is why I think he'll win this fight (Cormeir doesn't mind winning a boring fight, Rumble is a HL reel seeking fighter). He's only got to make Rumble over-commit and miss once to put him on the mat (without having his head taken off) and I find that a far morel likely scenario than Rumble staying patient, circling, staying on the end of his shots and working behind his jab to set up his power.

To me rumble is a guy with all the tools to be a very good striker. But he turns into kimbo with kicks once he smells bloodsport.

Great post, good insights and explanations. Thanks!

My opinion in a simplistic sense is that Rumble's issue with his striking is that he lacks patience. He's to quick to over commit to his shot's, a common theme with guys who are big 1 shot KO punchers. Rumble is explosive and powerful but he doesn't take the time to really set up his shots. Cormier on the other hand is very patient when setting up his takedowns and unlike some of the other wrestlers mentioned doesn't over-commit (which vs Rumble will get you KTFO). Further, unlike Davis or Manwa Cormier is far more compact and comes in behind his punches with good head movement and level changes to set up his TD's. In short, when Rumble over-commits or misses Cormeir he doesn't have the same space to recover and defend the TD as he did vs Davis or Manwa (longer fighters, more hip separation). Cormeir being far more compact and with quicker feet is right on top of Rumble when he over-commits (belly to belly) and is able to smother his power and his ability to defend the TD.

In short, the fights about "commitment issues" and the fact that Cormeir is a more patient and calculated wrestler than Rumble is a striker is why I think he'll win this fight (Cormeir doesn't mind winning a boring fight, Rumble is a HL reel seeking fighter). He's only got to make Rumble over-commit and miss once to put him on the mat (without having his head taken off) and I find that a far morel likely scenario than Rumble staying patient, circling, staying on the end of his shots and working behind his jab to set up his power.

Thanks for your insight!

Good points about Rumble not being patient, and about Cormier being both compact and fast. He's also super strong and crafty. And if he ever secures a single collar tie or an underhook you're fucked. He's so dominant with those grips, even against heavyweights.

That said, Rumble stuffed him very well for the first round and only actually ended up on his back when Cormier caught a body kick (body kicks against maybe the best single leg takedown artist in mma are a bad move). In the third he was the one to shoot and got his back taken (Cormier specialized in go-behinds as a wrestler). So Rumble made some really bad decisions that got him in trouble in the first fight. I think hurting Cormier early was the worst thing for him. He's shown that he can put on patient, measured performances in the past, but once he smells blood that's out the window.

So I agree it's more likely Cormier wins, but Rumble also has the tools to shut him down and beat him up.

To me rumble is a guy with all the tools to be a very good striker. But he turns into kimbo with kicks once he smells bloodsport.

Haha maybe not that bad, but yea he gets wild and sloppy.

Rumble looks really good in those gifs. He has come a long way since losing to Koscheck.

I like how he defended the shoot with the uppercuts, and how he pulls the head down sometimes to strike the head.

It looks like he spent some time fighting in smaller shows after losing to Vitor Belfort, and then came back, and has been on a tear.

i felt cormier unwillingness to fight scared or cautiously causes a problem; johnson is used to guys respecting..no fearing his power which creates guys forcing chasing and rushing tds..

and most guys don't want any of him on the feet; they concede a whole range to him essentially.

dc does neither; he is willing to press willing to walk the tightrope to get to johnson and that is the diff.. Johnson doesnt get to pick and choose terms of engagement, dc makes him work, makes him fight..

the guys who have, ALL have beat him; i.e. koscheck...vitor..dc.. Fought w/deliberate controlled aggression extended him then finished him...

There is no way for Rumble to win this match-up besides a punchers chance. The first fight was never interesting once the wrestling started. He got dominated every round. I don't know why you feel the need to make a thread about it?

There is no way for Rumble to win this match-up besides a punchers chance. The first fight was never interesting once the wrestling started. He got dominated every round. I don't know why you feel the need to make a thread about it?

Rumble has good TDD. Cormier isn't some wrestling uberlord. He couldn't even seriously threaten Jones in that regard and he got taken down by Gustaffson after Gustaffson got more comfortable.
Rumble easily stuffed Davis' and Baders takedowns who are not great but big and competend wrestlers. Cormier didn't outwrestle Mir or Big Country either. And while with Mir you could argue that it was deliberate Big Country is no Mir off his back.

If Rumble wins will you claim it was his punchers chance? That's not a daring statement as Rumble is most likely to knock you out if he wins. He almost stopped Cormier in their first fight. Yes Cormier had short notice but since then Rumble has probably improved while Cormier has only gotten older and went through a war with Gustaffson.

i felt cormier unwillingness to fight scared or cautiously causes a problem; johnson is used to guys respecting..no fearing his power which creates guys forcing chasing and rushing tds..

and most guys don't want any of him on the feet; they concede a whole range to him essentially.

dc does neither; he is willing to press willing to walk the tightrope to get to johnson and that is the diff.. Johnson doesnt get to pick and choose terms of engagement, dc makes him work, makes him fight..

the guys who have, ALL have beat him; i.e. koscheck...vitor..dc.. Fought w/deliberate controlled aggression extended him then finished him...

Yea and Johnson is used to finishing people when he hurts them, so when Cormier survived the first knockdown Johnson didn't let off the gas. Instead he swung wide and predictably, leaving openings. Cormier isn't gonna fold, so Rumble needs to be patient even when he hurts him.

Look, you might be a troll or you might just be an idiot but either way you have no idea what you're talking about and nothing of value to contribute to the thread. Stick to your TKD circle jerking.

I look forward to seeing this rematch, and how much DC's fight with Gus has taken a toll on him- if any. DC is really strong and has a very solid gas tank to go with it, so there will most likely be only one fighter here who will run out of energy here. I have DC to win by a submission/tko from top position, I would like to see some of DC's dirty boxing, I think his uppercuts vs Gus were underrated in that fight.

beautiful work, as always. I actually have a friend who sent me one of your videos, it was a game changer for him.

Rumble has good TDD. Cormier isn't some wrestling uberlord. He couldn't even seriously threaten Jones in that regard and he got taken down by Gustaffson after Gustaffson got more comfortable.
Rumble easily stuffed Davis' and Baders takedowns who are not great but big and competend wrestlers. Cormier didn't outwrestle Mir or Big Country either. And while with Mir you could argue that it was deliberate Big Country is no Mir off his back.

If Rumble wins will you claim it was his punchers chance? That's not a daring statement as Rumble is most likely to knock you out if he wins. He almost stopped Cormier in their first fight. Yes Cormier had short notice but since then Rumble has probably improved while Cormier has only gotten older and went through a war with Gustaffson.

Jon Jones is a phenomenal wrestler, in particular under MMA rules. My predition is that Rumble can only win by a sudden KO, probably early. but never on points. A normal Cormier will just grind him down.

Rumble looks really good in those gifs. He has come a long way since losing to Koscheck.

I like how he defended the shoot with the uppercuts, and how he pulls the head down sometimes to strike the head.

It looks like he spent some time fighting in smaller shows after losing to Vitor Belfort, and then came back, and has been on a tear.

Yea I think he really got his shit together, got his weight under control and is by far the best that he's ever been right now.

Unfortunately, the same flaws are still there. Harder to take advantage of, but definitely there.

beautiful work, as always. I actually have a friend who sent me one of your videos, it was a game changer for him.

Thanks! What was the video? I haven't actually made any myself, I've just worked with a guy who makes them while I write the article.

I look forward to seeing this rematch, and how much DC's fight with Gus has taken a toll on him- if any. DC is really strong and has a very solid gas tank to go with it, so there will most likely be only one fighter here who will run out of energy here. I have DC to win by a submission/tko from top position, I would like to see some of DC's dirty boxing, I think his uppercuts vs Gus were underrated in that fight.

Yea there are basically 3 things you never want to let Cormier do: grab a single collar tie (room gets filled with uppercuts), shoot an underhook (you get wrestle fucked against the cage) and get a hold of one of your legs (you learn how to fly). I definitely expect him to look for the underhook over the collar tie on Rumble though, because Rumble's uppercuts are much more dangerous--they're his most dangerous punch I'd say. I expect Cormier to start wearing down Rumble in the clinch and against the cage, work for top position when Rumble opens up then try to finish later.

i really think cormier is losing a step, as far as durability and athleticism; it won't take too much slippage for him to get got by johnson...

i think johnsons got a better shot NOW than he did before; he has made it more diff to expose his flaws..and daniel isn't the athlete or fighter he was before. He has cleared up his strategy, defined his identity at lhw; but durability wise and athleticism wise i think he is vulnerable esp against a top end FINISHING guy like johnson

i really think cormier is losing a step, as far as durability and athleticism; it won't take too much slippage for him to get got by johnson...

i think johnsons got a better shot NOW than he did before; he has made it more diff to expose his flaws..and daniel isn't the athlete or fighter he was before. He has cleared up his strategy, defined his identity at lhw; but durability wise and athleticism wise i think he is vulnerable esp against a top end FINISHING guy like johnson

Good points. Cormier has been hurt in recent fights and Johnson is the sharpest he's ever been. The stars could all be aligning for a brutal knockout.

If Rumble wins and Jones gets his shit together, that's THE fight at LHW.

Back