Rumble vs Cormier: Striking vs the Wrestler

Yea I just think Rumble has everything he needs to beat DC technically, but he makes big technical mistakes because he cracks under pressure. Like, he actually outwrestled DC for good portions of the second fight but that was a losing game in the long term. The only thing I disagree with is that angles wouldn't stop DC's forward momentum. They definitely would, and it's how Jones shut down his wrestling so thoroughly. The problem is Johnson never used his angles or his frames. Throughout both fights he constantly launched himself straight forward and threw himself off balance, plus he almost never did any work off the back foot. It all looked completely panicked.

Anyway, Cormier is awesome. Ridiculously tough, a relentless grinder and 100% consistent. You can always count on him to get to work once he's in the cage. Fighting isn't all about technique, and he's clearly the better fighter than Rumble.
Yeah I rewatched the Jones fight again and Jones was doing REALLY well with framing and angles. Jones has a great build for the style he uses, hope he's back again soon.

Back