Roxanne Modafferi says financial penalties no longer enough for fighters missing weight

If you miss weight once then you are in the weight class above. Simple.
well, not that simple.

There needs to be some sort of understanding why and exceptions should apply.
I mean, sometimes it can be something stupid.
But sometimes a fighter was called last minute and cannot lose enough weight in time.
Sometimes, fighters get sick in middle of weightcut, and they need to rehydrate to fight the virus, and that puts a damper on their weight cut and (IMHO) it is a legitimate issue.
Sometimes, a change of country can cause issues (i.e. I recall s fighter who went to - I think - Japan and couldn't find the proper ingredients for his "bath"). this is logistics, but I can understand.

So at the end of the day, it is not always a fighter being lazy or too big, it is just "shit happens".

But overall, I would be much happier if the UFC banned weight cutting. That would solve all problems!

BTW - WAR Roxanne !!! ALways a fan!!!

I don't think it's just financially they are compelled to fight, you know for sure that certain promoters would publicly ditch on a fighter for backing out of a fight at the last minute even if it was the opponents fault for fucking up a weight cut. Not to mention the backlash from the keyboard and media warriors of the world having their say.
The stigma from backing out of a fight regardless of whether it is in your best interest stays with you.
Yea the best way to bounce back from a bad weight cut is a good fight and win. Kevin Lee's missed weight against Barbosa springs to mind. Not only did he win favor with the Dana, he ended up getting a title shot.

well, not that simple.

There needs to be some sort of understanding why and exceptions should apply.
I mean, sometimes it can be something stupid.
But sometimes a fighter was called last minute and cannot lose enough weight in time.
Sometimes, fighters get sick in middle of weightcut, and they need to rehydrate to fight the virus, and that puts a damper on their weight cut and (IMHO) it is a legitimate issue.
Sometimes, a change of country can cause issues (i.e. I recall s fighter who went to - I think - Japan and couldn't find the proper ingredients for his "bath"). this is logistics, but I can understand.

So at the end of the day, it is not always a fighter being lazy or too big, it is just "shit happens".

But overall, I would be much happier if the UFC banned weight cutting. That would solve all problems!
Good post and yes wouldn't be that simple with those exceptions. But if you get sick, fights off. If you decide to take the fight on short notice then its on you. But your last point is the best one. Surely by now the dangers and missed fights are bigger than a fighter trying to have the size advantage. Agree with Rogans method.

Fair question. The first thing I think of is they don't get their show money, so the paid for a camp for nothing. They still have a team and reputation on the line. That's all I got.

Not sure if that's legally possible, but that's an option yes. Still think some would accept financial loss over a guaranteed loss or NC. At least I would, unless I was really really broke and had no talent and sponsors that would back me up :)

1 point deduction

20% for first pound
10% per additional pound over

There's no need to competitively handicap someone who missed weight.

Increase financial penalties, a certain % increase for every pound over (that goes to the opponent, not the pencil pushers at the commission).

Also Modaferri does not belong in the UFC, watching her fight is like watching special olympics. If this is the highest level of MMA, this truly is an F-level sport. Let's at least try to move up to D-level.

Change to a NC? lmao

Why would any fighter who missed weight still fight?

Not sure if that's legally possible, but that's an option yes. Still think some would accept financial loss over a guaranteed loss or NC. At least I would, unless I was really really broke and had no talent and sponsors that would back me up :)
We're talking about the same thing? I don't know how it works, but I assume that making it to the octagon is required to collect show money. Seems weird that only making it to the scale, on weight or not, is required.

That's because you don't make enough money. 20% of your purse matters a lot when you're making more than 20k/20k

If Conor missed weight he'd lose 600k based on a 20% fine on his $3M purse. Please, tell me more about how that's not enough for him to bother showing up at the weight he'd agreed to.

If you accept the fight with an overweight opponent you cannot be mad about losing later. I know that a lot of these feel compelled financially, but I don't agree with changing a W to a NC. Although giving a penalized fighter a title shot in their next fight is equally ridiculous.
They don't really have a choice unless they are a star

They should not just cut the girl who misses weight, but the entire weight class.

We're talking about the same thing? I don't know how it works, but I assume that making it to the octagon is required to collect show money. Seems weird that only making it to the scale, on weight or not, is required.

I get what you mean. You might be right. I don't know how the UFC has fixed their contracts and how US law handles it. But I can Imagine fighters would want some kind of certain income no matter if you make it or not. I mean, do fighters get paid anything if they pull out of a fight due to injury? Some things are just beyond a fighters control. Can't imagine fighters that are signed by the UFC would accept not getting paid anything (not even costs expenses). I mean, they are signed, and they fight for the UFC. Surly they get something.

Do what jungle fight used to:
Get a fine and start the fight with minus two points

Easy solution.
Dana White: I d
She is a confirmed Sherdogger
she posted a lot until the idiots started bashing her every time she posted
That's why they all leave. There isn't hardly one UFC fighter left on Sherdog. Sherdoggers used to tell them to commit suicide.

If you accept the fight with an overweight opponent you cannot be mad about losing later.
Except that they're pretty much pressured (bordering on forced) to accepting the fights by the powers that be.

It's hard to disagree with really. I don't see why people who miss weight dont automatically have a point deducted in the very beginning of the fight at the least.

Being forced to fight out of a hole from the very beginning of a fight can throw your whole gameplan out the window. Also fines should be at least 50% and I agree with the no contest as well. Fighter get away with missing weight and are rewarded for it, it's fucked up. Only time I see a fighter getting an excuse for missing weight is short notice which IS definitely understandable.

Way overblown, missing weight in and of itself is meaningless. It's completely possible to cut more weight in a more gruelling fashion and miss weight, in fact it's usually the case because the people who miss weight are the ones attempting the more extreme cuts.

Example:
Fighter A starts at 160, weighs in at 137. Cut 23 lbs and missed weight
Fighter B starts at 155 and cuts to 135. Cut 20lbs, 3lbs less, but made weight

Why would fighter A have an advantage in this scenario from "missing weight"? They cut more total weight and have a very minimal size advantage.

However, I don't think you should be able to get an official win. Just a NC on your record if you win.

Nobody is going to fight if they can't get a win. NOBODY. It would just be simply - miss weight, fight is off. Records are too important to fighters.

The UFC isn't going to up the penalties at all. Any more penalties than there already is and... wait for it... the fight is off. The UFC knows it's not going to take much for a fighter to walk away from a fight if the terms aren't to their liking, and cards will suffer.

There's only one solution. Eliminate weight cutting with ONE FC style rules.

Harsh penalties will only lead to more cancelled fights, which is something people don't consider enough in this debate.

"Make it so they can't win, just NC"
= canceled fights

"Don't pay them their show money"
= canceled fights

"Force them to go up a weight class"
= canceled fights

OneFC is the answer and NCAA wrestling with their hydration testing and minimum competition weight is the way to go, some variation of these principles, which they should be talking about and getting input from all sides, fighters, DRs, promoters, etc to come up with a system to make the best of the situation.

Back