Roxanne Modafferi says financial penalties no longer enough for fighters missing weight

FrankieNYC

STUFF!
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Longtime veteran Roxanne Modafferi says financial penalties no longer enough for fighters missing weight

Modafferi fought largely in Japan in the first nine years of her career. There, promotions have long implemented a system of penalties for missing weight that includes a red card, leaving the offending athlete forced to accept a no-contest result in case of victory on fight night – though a loss would remain on the record.

“I think that’s fair – or fair-ish,” Modafferi said. “As much penalty is allowed, I think would be great, so if it can go to two points (for a bad miss), great, but I’m just going to start out asking for one point.”

If you miss weight once then you are in the weight class above. Simple.

If you accept the fight with an overweight opponent you cannot be mad about losing later. I know that a lot of these feel compelled financially, but I don't agree with changing a W to a NC. Although giving a penalized fighter a title shot in their next fight is equally ridiculous.

I feel like weight misses have not been taken seriously for awhile now. It’s a significant advantage for the offender, and all they’re getting is a slap on the wrist in the form of having their Reebok money taken from them.

If you miss weight once then you are in the weight class above. Simple.

Maybe 2 chances.

However, I don't think you should be able to get an official win. Just a NC on your record if you win.

Big Macs MMA record would be 4-2-4. Heh.

Financial penalty (X% of fighter purse by each lbs over his weight class) + 1 point deduction + obligatory move up of division once someone misses weight 3 times or twice in a row

That's how it should be IMO.

Dana gets to eat all of that fighter's fries?

If you accept the fight with an overweight opponent you cannot be mad about losing later. I know that a lot of these feel compelled financially, but I don't agree with changing a W to a NC. Although giving a penalized fighter a title shot in their next fight is equally ridiculous.

Fighters literally get FIRED for not accepting fights with overweight opponents.

Dern was over by 7lbs and lost a tiny bit of money, that's it. She gained a win on her record, a bump in the rankings and free help from the UFC to shrink her fupa.

losing points seems like a nice idea

The first time a fighter misses weight, the fight should be off and he/she should be suspended for 6 months. The second time the suspension could up to 2 years (if it happened in the consecutive fight)... If a non-HW fighter pulls out a day before the weigh ins without seeing an UFC approved doctor, it counts as weight miss.

losing points seems like a nice idea

At first I agreed
Then after thinking about it, if a decision was effected due to the takeaway, most fans would just say that the fighter won anyway
Like with Brock & Jones (pissing hot)

Financial penalty (X% of fighter purse by each lbs over his weight class) + 1 point deduction + obligatory move up of division once someone misses weight 3 times or twice in a row

That's how it should be IMO.
some good ideas here^

I especially like the 1 point deduction right out of the gate

AC need to start calling fights off, not the promoter still offering catchweight fights, simple, FULL money for the fighter that actually made weight, boxing type penalties at least, and at one point 5lbs or more, fight is called off.

Cut shit off of them so they make weight next time...
tenor.gif

She's right, but sherdoggers have been saying this for quite some time. Modaferri confirmed lurker.

I like the 'miss weight and fight for a no contest or lose' rule

As uncle Chael says
Missing the contractually agreed upon weight should be a loss

Penalty should be that if you miss weight your opponent is allowed one free/clean punch/kick anywhere, no attempting to evade the strike. This happens at the beginning of the match.

She's right, but sherdoggers have been saying this for quite some time. Modaferri confirmed lurker.

She is a confirmed Sherdogger
she posted a lot until the idiots started bashing her every time she posted

Back