Rory MacDonald on The Interim Belt Issue at WW

My point stands. His Bellator belt is still worth less than an interim belt in the UFC

I'm not so sure since no one else in the top 5 of the UFC owns a win over the current champion. It also depends on how much he's making in Bellator. None of the belts are worth much anymore the way the UFC gives out title shots to guys who can talk their way in to them.

Last edited:
i think people take offense at interim titles because they misunderstand it for a second place medal. it just means the winner fights the champion, thats it.

But Rory started in the UFC and went to Bellator. He lost to several current top 5 WW's in the UFC so its highly doubtful he'd be champion in the UFC.

Any interim WW champion would likely be higher ranked than Rory, so yes, his belt is worth less

ts claimed a belt in another organisation is equivalent to an interim belt. you saying that its worth less than a ufc interim belt actually just proves that even further

as for it being highly unlikely rory would be champ in the ufc, do feel free to watch rory dominating tyron in their fight from 2014 when you get a chance

are you aware that colby covington is going to be fighting for the interim belt? because he's shit and is only ranked as high as he is for marketing purposes

meh

I find it ironic that Dana and ufc has stated in the past that they don’t want too many belts like boxing but will hand out interim titles in just about every division just to sell a couple more ppvs.

i think people take offense at interim titles because they misunderstand it for a second place medal. it just means the winner fights the champion, thats it.

It can mean that but doesn't necessarily. It's just what it says on the tin. It's an interim because for whatever reason the champion isn't fighting. In the case of Conor it's because he doesn't want to but the UFC won't strip him. If it was anyone else but their cash cow they would have already done it by now.

If Conor still refuses to fight Tony or Khabib, he'll likely be stripped and the interim becomes the champ. It was the same deal with GSP when he beat Bisping. Thankfully, GSP chose not to hold up the division as long as he possibly could before deciding not to fight.

ts claimed a belt in another organisation is equivalent to an interim belt. you saying that its worth less than a ufc interim belt actually just proves that even further

as for it being highly unlikely rory would be champ in the ufc, do feel free to watch rory dominating tyron in their fight from 2014 when you get a chance

are you aware that colby covington is going to be fighting for the interim belt? because he's shit and is only ranked as high as he is for marketing purposes

meh
Then watch robbie and wonderboy destroy Rory, those actually happened recently so Rory isn't some uncrowded champion. You probably argue Stephen Struve is the uncrowded ufc HW Champion too.

Then watch robbie and wonderboy destroy Rory, those actually happened recently so Rory isn't some uncrowded champion. You probably argue Stephen Struve is the uncrowded ufc HW Champion too.

tempted to actually make a real response to your incredibly stupid post but i think i'll just go do the dishes instead

Good point. The winner (interim title holder) gets PPV points in their next fight, which could equate to millions if the PPV sells well. Considering the low pay for most fighters, the pay bump is the main reason that I’m OK with interim titles, though I disagree with them in principle.

Rory might’ve stuck around instead of going to Bellator for more money if he was able to cash in on an interim title, and I wish he would have. I miss the Red King, or whatever his nickname is these days.
I saw someone calling him The Canadian Psycho and thought it fit him well. He's so mild mannered and calm outside of the cage but then fights like hell until his body breaks...and even afterwards.

090_Rory_Macdonald_vs_Tyron_Woodley.1402811950.0.jpg

082_Rory_Macdonald_vs_Tyron_Woodley.0.jpg

Rory-MacDonald-Tyron-Woodley.png

nkjVUpN.gif

ezgif.com-resize-36.gif

Back when Rory wasn't a point fighter

never once in the history of combat sports has an interim title been warranted IMO.

This UFC WW Interim title is especially ridiculous.

never once in the history of combat sports has an interim title been warranted IMO.

This UFC WW Interim title is especially ridiculous.
not even the one barao had? I agree most aren't but that one stuck out to me as being appropriate

if it means more #1 conteder fights become 5 rounders they could create a hundred interim titles for all i care.

But main events are already 5 rounds without a title involved in the UFC. So why not make them 5 round number one contendor fights and have the best of both worlds?

Back