Rory MacDonald on The Interim Belt Issue at WW

Most likely they try to provide anything as a title fight to please venues they book. The lack of big name main event calibre fighters plays a big part in that. I wouldn't t say garbage but they hold little prestige.

Sounds like a guy who never got an interm title shot.
You're right. Instead, he gave us the best fight of all time, which was for the real title, then won Bellator's WW belt on one leg (literally).

I'm not sure how you can even hate on this guy, but apparently Shertards have found a way.

Interim titles used to mean something, but now they hand them out every year, so nobody cares.

They should just strip the champ if he is out to long. A belt should be defended at least once a year. If a guy won the belt 18 months ago, it doesn't mean he is no 1 now in 2018.
Tyron defended his belt just shy of eight months ago.

Agree? Disagree? Thought?

Depending on the circumstances.
If the champion is injured for a long time, it is ok to have on (like Cruz or Cain).
If the champ is healthy or will be back (from injury) before the interim fight takes place, it is ridiculous. It is a slap in the face of the sport of MMA.

An incumbent champion who refuses to defend, has to be cajoled into fighting the top contenders, and holds out for "money" fights is what produces this "garbage".

Lol Rory beat woodley, and GSP never lost his belt and just beat the MW champ. Talking about Tristar screwing over the UFC.

Titles mean more money right? Do fighters get paid more for interim?
Good point. The winner (interim title holder) gets PPV points in their next fight, which could equate to millions if the PPV sells well. Considering the low pay for most fighters, the pay bump is the main reason that I’m OK with interim titles, though I disagree with them in principle.

Rory might’ve stuck around instead of going to Bellator for more money if he was able to cash in on an interim title, and I wish he would have. I miss the Red King, or whatever his nickname is these days.

Interim belts are a prop. Nothing more. They are meaningless.

Just a glorified #1 contender. They use it to make dumb fans buy into the hype of the match more.... props gonna prop.

Bellator WW champ > UFC WW champ.

That is all.

Lol Rory beat woodley, and GSP never lost his belt and just beat the MW champ. Talking about Tristar screwing over the UFC.
People would care about that win over Woodley a lot more had Rory not left the UFC on a two fight skid tbf.

090_Rory_Macdonald_vs_Tyron_Woodley.1402811950.0.jpg

082_Rory_Macdonald_vs_Tyron_Woodley.0.jpg

Rory-MacDonald-Tyron-Woodley.png

nkjVUpN.gif

ezgif.com-resize-36.gif

Rory beat the brakes off woodley

Depends sometimes you need them but busting them out this frequently is crazy.
No its not dude. You see he fights in a different organisation and he is their belt holder. You probably have no idea how many strikeforce champs became ufc champs, and how many top ufc fighters got beaten when they moved to other organisations. The ufc doesnt have ALL the good fighters.

Come on man

But Rory started in the UFC and went to Bellator. He lost to several current top 5 WW's in the UFC so its highly doubtful he'd be champion in the UFC.

Any interim WW champion would likely be higher ranked than Rory, so yes, his belt is worth less

But Rory started in the UFC and went to Bellator. He lost to several current top 5 WW's in the UFC so its highly doubtful he'd be champion in the UFC.

Any interim WW champion would likely be higher ranked than Rory, so yes, his belt is worth less
Uh I think you took the wrong quote buddy.

Depends on what he means. If he means the champion should be stripped when he won't fight then yeah, they're garbage.

He lost to Lawler and to Wonder boy and beat the current champion, Woodley. He also lost to Condit 8 years ago but Condit isn't top 5 anymore.

He'd be right in the mix again if he was back in the UFC and still have a good chance of becoming champ. He's only 28yrs old.

He lost to Lawler and to Wonder boy and beat the current champion, Woodley. He also lost to Condit 8 years ago but Condit isn't top 5 anymore.

He'd be right in the mix again if he was back in the UFC and still have a good chance of becoming champ. He's only 28yrs old.

My point stands. His Bellator belt is still worth less than an interim belt in the UFC

Rory's last performance = garbage.
I mean he beat Lima after having his leg all fucked up...gotta give him credit for not giving up and grinding out the W

Back