Crime Ronaldo facing over $1 billion lawsuit over Cryptocurrency Losses

650lb Sumo

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score

230621042149-01-cristiano-ronaldo-euro-200-apps-062023-restricted.jpg

Footballer Cristiano Ronaldo is facing a class action lawsuit in the US over his promotion of Binance, the largest cryptocurrency exchange in the world.

The plaintiffs claim his endorsement led them to make loss-making investments.

They are seeking damages of 'a sum exceeding' $1bn (£790m).

In November 2022 Binance announced its first 'CR7' collection of non-fungible tokens (NFTs) in partnership with Ronaldo, which the footballer said would reward fans 'for all the years of support'.

52f96de02d734db381b00d9edec60b5f.jpg

'CR7' refers to Ronaldo's initials and shirt number, and is used as branding in a range of products, from footwear to fragrances, that have helped make him one of the wealthiest athletes on earth.

In a social media video announcing the partnership, Ronaldo told would-be investors 'we are going to change the NFT game and take football to the next level'.

The cheapest NFT from the collection was priced at $77 when it went on sale in November 2022 but one year later it was priced at about $1.

The claimants allege that Ronaldo's promotion of Binance led to a '500% increase in searches' for the crypto exchange, which is registered in the Cayman Islands.

They also say it led people to use the firm to invest in what they call 'unregistered securities' - such as Binance's BNB cryptocurrency.

According to the US Securities and Exchanges Commission (SEC), these assets can be considered securities - and so celebrities endorsing them must follow US law.

SEC chair Gary Gensler

Gary-Gensler-SEC.jpg

previously said celebrities must "disclose to the public from whom and how much you are getting paid to promote investment in securities. When celebrities endorse investment opportunities, including crypto-asset securities, investors should be careful to research if the investments are right for them, and they should know why celebrities are making those endorsements."

The claimants allege Ronaldo should have disclosed how much he was being paid, but did not.

The class action suit was filed a week after the US Justice Department told the firm to pay $4.3bn (£3.4bn) in penalties and forfeitures.

It accused Binance of helping users bypass sanctions around the world, and of making it easy for criminals and terrorists to move money.

Its chief executive, Changpeng Zhao,

-1x-1.jpg

resigned from the firm, having admitted money-laundering violations.

Major League Baseball, Formula 1 and Mercedes-Benz are all also facing class action lawsuits filed on the same day over their promotion of failed crypto-exchange FTX.

Ronaldo's net worth is estimated at $500 million.

b7NQ2P.gif

Edit: Update

Last edited:
That seems like a rather stupid lawsuit.

"I'm a fucking idiot who wasted money on crypto, but it's all this soccer player's fault! He brainwashed me with his sexy eyes! I want my money back!"
The party of personal responsibility, wants celebrities to have no personal responsibility for promoting scams to millions of people.

Fucking amazing. It's about time these idiot celebrities faced some consequences for promoting scams.

I agree with the first two posts ITT, except: it depends a lot on what he said in the commercial and whether there's any proof he was making false claims plus proof he knew the claims were false. Not sure how likely that is.

Fucking amazing. It's about time these idiot celebrities faced some consequences for promoting scams.

How is a celebrity endorser supposed to know if a company is scamming people behind the scenes?

Stupid lawsuit. How is supposed to know what the company is doing behind the scenes. It would seem unreasonable for a paid spokesman to ask the company to turn over their books prior to doing a commercial. Then the paid spokesman would have to hire a team of accountants to look over the books. I doubt a movie star, singer or athlete would have the knowledge to know what they were looking at even if they were provided the books and neither would roughly 90% of the population.

How is a celebrity endorser supposed to know if a company is scamming people behind the scenes?
How is someone being paid millions of dollars to publicly endorse and promote something, expected to actually know anything about what they're promoting?!?

How is someone being paid millions of dollars to publicly endorse and promote something, expected to actually know anything about what they're promoting?!?
IF I was in his shoes, I would be like has the check cleared lets shoot the commercial.
Also nobody knew they were a scam before they turned out to be a scam. If everyone knew, they would have stopped the scam before it happened.

Was he supposed to sift through their financials and investments before hand? It's not like he agreed to do ads for a Nigerian prince.

Voyager scammed me out of a bunch of crypto when they went under and they sponsored a Nascar. Should I be able to sue the Nascar team? I'm sure you'll say yeah so you can stick to your silly argument.

Gatorade gave me gas. Michael Jordan owes me 20bn.

You're a simpleton.
The lack of awareness of you calling me a simpleton while equating Jordan promoting Gatorade to millions of people being scammed out of billions of dollars, is pretty amazing. This is like post-modernist forum performance art.

Was he supposed to sift through their financials and investments before hand? It's not like he agreed to do ads for a Nigerian prince.

Voyager scammed me out of a bunch of crypto when they went under and they sponsored a Nascar. Should I be able to sue the Nascar team? I'm sure you'll say yeah so you can stick to your silly argument.
Call me crazy, but I think there should be accountability and responsibility for promoting a fraud to millions of people, resulting in billions of dollars being defrauded from hard working everyday people.

The party of personal responsibility - "there should be no responsibility for promoting fraud"
The party of "I don't give a fuck about celebrities or their political opinions" - "Actually celebrities are pretty cool when they promote fraud"
The party of the working class - "Actually it's a good thing when millions of every day people are scammed out of their savings"

People dont realize the level of fraud committed in the crypto space. A viable question is when does the hired influencer bear some of this responsibility.

For this isnt a influencer promoting a product. These are straight up pump and dump schemes.

The lack of awareness of you calling me a simpleton while equating Jordan promoting Gatorade to millions of people being scammed out of billions of dollars, is pretty amazing. This is like post-modernist forum performance art.
I'ma bet they're was a disclaimer on the commercials somewhere that said something about no guarantee of increases of value or past performance is not indicative of future results so liability is zero.

Be honest now. How much did you lose on nfts?

Back