Roger Gracie

kenetics

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm calling it now that roger beats buchecha on their upcoming match.

Man I wish this was true as I'm a mega Roger fanboy. But I just can't see it happening.. their first superfight was superclose, Roger now is older, Buchecha only 27 (I don't know if he already hit his peak/still has to, but he certainly isn't far from it the way Roger is) and has been training and competing much more jiu jitsu in the last years (while roger split time with MMA and the last Bjj fight he had was just had the superfight with Comprido).

How do you think it would play out?

Roger now is older

Roger is 35, that's not old.
Roger keeps improving his game, and finding ways to improve his money moves (like a better closed guard armbar) he is not some old school guy stuck decades in that past.

Last edited:
I said "older" by the way, not "old" in an absolute sense.. I think a difference of 8-9 years is gonna be important, especially when he's not fighting Comprido or Pe de Pano or some other old glory here but a guy who just won again weight and absolute at the adult mundials again

Man I wish this was true as I'm a mega Roger fanboy. But I just can't see it happening.. their first superfight was superclose, Roger now is older, Buchecha only 27 (I don't know if he already hit his peak/still has to, but he certainly isn't far from it the way Roger is) and has been training and competing much more jiu jitsu in the last years (while roger split time with MMA and the last Bjj fight he had was just had the superfight with Comprido).

How do you think it would play out?

Like you said, their first match was close. I believe that roger had a staph infection that he was fighting a week before his metamoris match with buchecha. He looked tired and drain from the start of the match. Saying that, he still gave buchecha a hard time.

I was at the worlds this year and buchecha almost got beat by rocha. Rocha lost because he ran out of gas. (Rocha is known for this)

I think roger will out position buchecha in a ibjjf match. Buchecha takes alot of risk during his matches. His athleticism allows him to get away with things. I think roger will capatalize on these windows that buchecha leavs open at times during scrambles.

Like you said, their first match was close. I believe that roger had a staph infection that he was fighting a week before his metamoris match with buchecha. He looked tired and drain from the start of the match. Saying that, he still gave buchecha a hard time.

I was at the worlds this year and buchecha almost got beat by rocha. Rocha lost because he ran out of gas. (Rocha is known for this)

I think roger will out position buchecha in a ibjjf match. Buchecha takes alot of risk during his matches. His athleticism allows him to get away with things. I think roger will capatalize on these windows that buchecha leavs open at times during scrambles.

Ok man, this sounds like a fair analysis and I honestly hope it will play as you said. Roger is the only individual athlete I support as much as my football team, I'd gladly eat back in adoration everything I said if he truly beats Buchecha

I hope Roger wins, I doubt he does. The years, and the lack of focus purely on BJJ will cost him against Buchecha.

I hope Roger wins, I doubt he does. The years, and the lack of focus purely on BJJ will cost him against Buchecha.

He has actually been training a lot of bjj lately. In his recent interview he seems excited to face buchecha, almost like he knows he will come out with the win.

He has actually been training a lot of bjj lately. In his recent interview he seems excited to face buchecha, almost like he knows he will come out with the win.

If you don't think you're going to win, why would you even step on the mat? I would hope he's confident. Like I said, I'd love to see Roger pull it out, but Buchecha is younger and has been dominating everything for years while Roger was fighting. I just see him coming in sharper and getting the win.

The game is changing and evolving so fast, I don't think anyone can step away for a handful of years and come back still on top. As much as I would love to see Roger come and cross choke Buchecha, I don't see that happening.

If you don't think you're going to win, why would you even step on the mat? I would hope he's confident. Like I said, I'd love to see Roger pull it out, but Buchecha is younger and has been dominating everything for years while Roger was fighting. I just see him coming in sharper and getting the win.

This year he struggle more than the years before, though hes fighting against beast like LO and ebertho Santos lol.

Roger gracie was finishing his opponets during his run. Buchecha has won his last couple finals by a couple points or advantages.

Buchecha is more modern and athletic like a new software program with a "metro" gui.

Roger didn't finish everyone, with the exception of 2009. Even during his prime he lost a few times, to Jacare and most notably Xande. Buchecha hasn't lost in years. It's really hard to compare levels of dominance since you always have different levels of competition, but I don't know that Roger ever put together a streak like Buchecha has the past 6 years. With the exception of 2015 when he was out with an injury he's won double gold every year since 2012. Roger, strangely enough, never got the double more than 2 years in a row ('09 and '10). As odd as it feels to say it, I think Buchecha is the more dominant of the two, at least as measured by consistency in winning golds. Though I don't think anyone will ever equal the single tournament performance Roger had in 2009, that was 8 years ago. There's no way he's the same guy today. Even if he wins, I don't think there's any way it's as dominant as prime Roger was.

I agree with everything you said, but even if Roger was the same guy today as he was back then, I don't think he would be able to replicate. The guys now are that much better.

Roger didn't finish everyone, with the exception of 2009. Even during his prime he lost a few times, to Jacare and most notably Xande. Buchecha hasn't lost in years. It's really hard to compare levels of dominance since you always have different levels of competition, but I don't know that Roger ever put together a streak like Buchecha has the past 6 years. With the exception of 2015 when he was out with an injury he's won double gold every year since 2012. Roger, strangely enough, never got the double more than 2 years in a row ('09 and '10). As odd as it feels to say it, I think Buchecha is the more dominant of the two, at least as measured by consistency in winning golds. Though I don't think anyone will ever equal the single tournament performance Roger had in 2009, that was 8 years ago. There's no way he's the same guy today. Even if he wins, I don't think there's any way it's as dominant as prime Roger was.

Roger beating Marcelo and Jacare in there prime is more impressive than the wins buchecha has won recently.

Buchecha has been tapped by smaller opponents as he went through the ranks to black belt. I think Davi Ramos foot locked him and he's a light weight. Roger was last submitted when he was a blue belt.. And he fought through monsters like the guys I mentioned above.

I just think Roger potential was always higher than buchecha. Roger left early to persue mma. You know he could have continued to win worlds even though he was a Ten time world champion when he left bjj lol.

I agree with everything you said, but even if Roger was the same guy today as he was back then, I don't think he would be able to replicate. The guys now are that much better.

Jacare and Marcelo from the past could easily compete with the era of today lol.

Compete with? Sure. Reign supreme like they used to in the past? I'm not so sure.

Note: Marcelo is my favorite grappler ever. Butterfly and SLX are my go-tos. And nothing in grappling would make me happier than Marcelo returning and winning double gold at ADCC 2019.

Back