ROBOTECH Movie (IT's Andy Muschietti to Direct)

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: July 17, 2017

IT Director Andy Muschietti to Direct ROBOTECH for Sony

RqOfbBJ.jpg

Sony’s Robotech is getting It status. Andy Muschietti, who directed the upcoming film version of Stephen King’s It, has been tapped to develop and helm the studio’s adaptation of the anime featuring giant armored warriors.

Muschietti's creative partner Barbara Muschietti will join Gianni Nunnari and Mark Canton in producing the project, which is based on the 1980s cartoon series from Harmony Gold USA and Japan's Tatsunoko Productions. It was re-edited and re-dialogued to combine three Japanese anime series to give the producers enough episodes to air as a daily syndicated series.

Robotech is a sprawling sci-fi epic that takes place in a time when Earth has developed giant robots from the technology of an alien spacecraft that crashed on a South Pacific island. The technology comes in handy when the humankind has to fend off a wave of alien invasions.

Hollywood has been trying to bring the mechas to the big screen for over a decade, with Sony picking up the rights in 2015. The studio previously courted James Wan to direct the potential franchise before the filmmaker committed to Aquaman.

The project currently has no writer but the studio expects to work with the Muschietti siblings to find someone to execute Andy Muschietti's filmmaker. The project is a high priority for Sony and it is moving quickly.

Sanford Panitch and Matthew Milam are overseeing for Columbia. David Hopwood is shepherding for Canton, while Shannon Gaulding runs point for Hollywood Gang.

Frank and Jehan Agrama, who produced the original series, are also involved.

Muschietti got his start in horror — he made his English-language debut with the 2013 surprise hit Mama — and is awaiting the September release of It from New Line Cinema. The movie's trailer scored one of the largest views ever in a 24-hour period, with prerelease interest at stratospheric levels. The same applies to Hollywood interest in Muschietti, who looks with It to have pulled off the difficult task of adapting one of King’s classics.

The filmmaker recently came on board to direct the pilot for Hulu’s television series adaptation of the Joe Hill comic book Locke and Key.

'It' Director Andy Muschietti to Tackle 'Robotech' for Sony (Exclusive)

This will be merged with the Robotech thread after a few days.

Update: July 17, 2017

IT Director Andy Muschietti to Direct ROBOTECH for Sony

RqOfbBJ.jpg

Sony’s Robotech is getting It status. Andy Muschietti, who directed the upcoming film version of Stephen King’s It, has been tapped to develop and helm the studio’s adaptation of the anime featuring giant armored warriors.

Muschietti's creative partner Barbara Muschietti will join Gianni Nunnari and Mark Canton in producing the project, which is based on the 1980s cartoon series from Harmony Gold USA and Japan's Tatsunoko Productions. It was re-edited and re-dialogued to combine three Japanese anime series to give the producers enough episodes to air as a daily syndicated series.

Robotech is a sprawling sci-fi epic that takes place in a time when Earth has developed giant robots from the technology of an alien spacecraft that crashed on a South Pacific island. The technology comes in handy when the humankind has to fend off a wave of alien invasions.

Hollywood has been trying to bring the mechas to the big screen for over a decade, with Sony picking up the rights in 2015. The studio previously courted James Wan to direct the potential franchise before the filmmaker committed to Aquaman.

The project currently has no writer but the studio expects to work with the Muschietti siblings to find someone to execute Andy Muschietti's filmmaker. The project is a high priority for Sony and it is moving quickly.

Sanford Panitch and Matthew Milam are overseeing for Columbia. David Hopwood is shepherding for Canton, while Shannon Gaulding runs point for Hollywood Gang.

Frank and Jehan Agrama, who produced the original series, are also involved.

Muschietti got his start in horror — he made his English-language debut with the 2013 surprise hit Mama — and is awaiting the September release of It from New Line Cinema. The movie's trailer scored one of the largest views ever in a 24-hour period, with prerelease interest at stratospheric levels. The same applies to Hollywood interest in Muschietti, who looks with It to have pulled off the difficult task of adapting one of King’s classics.

The filmmaker recently came on board to direct the pilot for Hulu’s television series adaptation of the Joe Hill comic book Locke and Key.

'It' Director Andy Muschietti to Tackle 'Robotech' for Sony (Exclusive)

This will be merged with the Robotech thread after a few days.
Robotech and akira are the only anime shows/movies that I ever liked. Robotech was probably in my top 5 favorite shows as a kid.

No way Sony screws this up...

Fuck Harmony Gold. They are a bunch of copyright trolling shitbags.

Dragon, I want you to make an effort to stop using "it's." Altogether. Remove "it's" from your lexicon entirely.

Either "its" or "it is."

This would be glorious. How the hell does Dragon always know what movies I care about? lol

Dragon, I want you to make an effort to stop using "it's." Altogether. Remove "it's" from your lexicon entirely.

Either "its" or "it is."

Contractions and possessives are getting It status.

I'm giddy with excitement right now!
PLEASE DON'T SUCK!

No way Sony screws this up...

While I would agree the general premise is hard to mess up, they certainly can.
I would say do it kind of like Starship Troopers mixed with Top Gun, the war is already started main star is going through training for VF-1, stuff happens they start to turn the tide but its not over setting up the sequels to go to space.

How diversified will this movie be?
More diverse than the animated series, but people will say they whitewashed Rick Hunter.
Though to be fair he was whitewashed for the "original" robotech.

Either "its" or "it is."
Got it. I changed the thread title. It's much better, right?

My boy better be in it.
IMG_1441.JPG

Back