• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Media Robert Whittaker Says "He'd Beat Dricus Du Plessis 9 Times out of 10" and He's "Just A Better Fighter Than He Is"

Robert Whittaker Says He'd Beat DDP 9 Times out of 10 and hes better skill wise and overall as a fighter

Uncharacteristic of Rob.

But he’s always been confident and I guess all fighters need that confidence to be at this level.

That makes DDP’s performance even more inpressive.

Whittaker accomplished all these wrestlimg credentials WHILE competing in the UFC and defending his belt.
View attachment 1027387

I just found out DDP competed in a grappling tournament and submitted all 5 members of Gracie Barra team. He’a not even a blue belt, Rob has a blackbelt in bjj.

True, first time I see Rob express his inner salt.

Winning wrestling medals in Australia is maybe the equivalent of winning some High School district matches here in the states lol…. The level of competition just isn’t there.

<JonesLaugh>

Peak maybe. Current loses more often than not.

Whittaker was winning the first 4 min of the 1st round before he got taken down, and was winning the 2nd round until he got clipped.

It's strange how so many believe he had nothing for DDP.

So if Whit doesn't get taken down and if he doesn't get clipped, he has a chance?

1st round - I don't disagree, but still the fight was almost even. I would have voted 10-9 Whittaker until the last minute.

PS: someone who believed Whittaker will beat him easily

There was nothing I saw from Whittaker in that fight that would make me think he would beat DDP 9/10 times. I would say the reverse is more likely.

Big Whittaker fan and I agree. Can’t say I recall anyone holding Rob on his back for that long before. Whittaker maybe more skilled in theory but DDP just gets it done, he’s a beast

So if Whit doesn't get taken down and if he doesn't get clipped, he has a chance?
<[analyzed}>

Outside of the takedown in the final minute, and the one time getting clipped, Whittaker was the superior fighter yet people talk like he had nothing for DDP.

Make the right adjustments and Whittaker could very well dominate a rematch, unless he's too far past his prime at this point.

Whittaker was winning the first 4 min of the 1st round before he got taken down, and was winning the 2nd round until he got clipped.

This exactly.
Sadly Rob has not the chin DDP has and couldn't get out from under.

Prime Whittaker? The one that fought Yoel twice?

Yeah I’d take him 9/10 times. But he’s not that guy anymore.

Those fights, the Adesanya KO, the damage from his entire career is all catching up to him.

He isn’t the same guy - THIS Whittaker it’s a coin-flip where you have to give the edge to DDP.

It’s kind of sad because fighters always see themselves as the best version of themselves even as they are obviously declining in real-time. So they over-rate their abilities based on performances and abilities they’ll never replicate.
Have to agree, seems like Whittaker is past it at this point

Whittaker is one of the most likeable fighters ever. Just an all around solid guy. I think he is right that he has a better skillset, but he still has to prove it.

We always talk about hunger and how some guys have it, and how hard it is to keep once you've reached the top. The will to win is an intangible that requires psychological training, not physical.

I wonder how often coaches are isolating this manner of training, instead of just trying to incorporate it into the things they're already doing. It probably deserves it's own focused session, especially for guys like Robert who have already reached the pinnacle.

1st round - I don't disagree, but still the fight was almost even. I would have voted 10-9 Whittaker until the last minute.

PS: someone who believed Whittaker will beat him easily

Even if you remove the most significant moments, which is an absolutely stupid thing to do, the fight was pretty even with Rob struggling to get past Dricus's high guard, and dricus struggling to to corner and find Rob. Both were landing some shots here and there, but nothing crazy and no one taking a big lead. Still, I have no idea why were are removing the most significant parts of the fight lol.

If someone who wasn't rob said this, the responses in the thread would be much, much more negative
Tbh I never get why fighters get crap for being confident in themselves in statements like this, most fighters need to believe they can beat everyone even if some of that might come off as delusional to others.
You are right tho, if a more well liked dude says it then he gets less shit for it in general from the fans. Which again is fine IMO, none of them should be getting crap since it's just how they feel about it.

luke rocksalt vibes

he was winning the first round until he lost it. He was winning the second round until he got KOd.

Lol

LOL. Maybe ten years ago. Bobby is a great guy and thats likely why he got another shot at the title .... which is couldnt win. He will never fight for a title again and will be finished in any meaningful fight he's in. Sad but true.

Back