RNC, Chamber Of Commerce Want Robocallers To Be Able To Spam Your Voicemail Without Phone Ringing

VivaRevolution

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
RNC, Chamber Of Commerce Want Robocallers To Be Able To Spam Your Voicemail Without Your Phone Ringing
from the the-evolution-of-annoyance dept
The GOP’s leading campaign and fundraising arm, the Republican National Committee, has thrown its support behind an initiative that could allow marketing firms and robocallers to spam your voicemail inbox -- without your phone ever ringing. Under former FCC boss Tom Wheeler, the agency notably ramped up its assault on annoying robocalls. That included some particularly notable pressure on AT&T, which for years had provided a rotating crop of excuses as to why its customers continued to get hammered by phone marketers even if included on the National Do Not Call Registry.

Under current law, marketers aren't allowed to annoy you via your cellular phone unless you give your express, written consent. In the hopes of boosting revenues without running afoul of the law, the industry has begun pushing for exemptions in the Telephone Consumer Protection Act for "ringless voicemail," which would allow a company to leave you a marketing message in your voicemail, without your phone ringing. Of course you'd be hard-pressed to find a single consumer that thinks this is a good idea, which is apparently why the current FCC is exploring precisely this option:

"Back in March, a marketing firm called All About the Message LLC specifically asked the telecom agency to issue a ruling on the legality of its “ringless voicemail” technology. In its petition, the company said it doesn’t cause “disruptions to a consumer’s life,” such as “dead air calls, calls interrupting consumers at inconvenient times, or delivery charges.” And it stressed that its technology isn’t even a “call” by conventional standards."

In comments filed with the FCC (pdf), the RNC effectively warns the FCC not to stand in the way of its quest for ringless voicemail spam, and tries to argue that blocking such marketing is somehow an assault on the First Amendment:

Political speech is "at the very core of the First Amendment," and subjecting direct-tovoicemail political messages to the TCPA would unnecessarily and improperly restrict that speech. It is a basic canon of constitutional law that the government may not restrict constitutionally protected speech unless “it chooses the least restrictive means to further [a compelling] interest. While the government may have an interest in protecting individuals from unwanted and intrusive phone calls, direct-to-voicemail messages are designed to be nonintrusive so as not to interrupt the recipient.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...ur-voicemail-without-your-phone-ringing.shtml

________________________________________________________________________________

So when can we start working on setting a date for us all to meet in DC, and Lynch our government?

Discuss...........

Zero people want ringerless robocalls like these. Zero, in America. Can we please, if it's not too much trouble, not allow the thing that zero people want in this country?

Fuck politicians like this

Fuck lobbying. Lobbying should be illegal

Fine with me I don't even have my voicemail setup. If you want to leave a voicemail don't fucking call me.

Another slimy business practice backed by your favorite officials.

Fine with me I don't even have my voicemail setup. If you want to leave a voicemail don't fucking call me.

So because it doesn't affect you fuck the rest of us? How about fuck you, how about that?

Are they gonna make a movie about Robocaller?

Blah blah blah free market doh

Same with ISPs selling our data. Government is useful for coming up with consumer protections. It's fairly fucked that the GOP chooses to be on the wrong side of that fairly often lately. Still shaking my head on revoking the fiduciary rule with investing.

Same with ISPs selling our data. Government is useful for coming up with consumer protections. It's fairly fucked that the GOP chooses to be on the wrong side of that fairly often lately. Still shaking my head on revoking the fiduciary rule with investing.

Im not seeing any conclusion other than the GOP is against consumer protections.

Im not seeing any conclusion other than the GOP is against consumer protections.

They're against anything other than the absolute maximizing of profits. If things get too bad the rich will just run along to the next trough.

Zero people want ringerless robocalls like these. Zero, in America. Can we please, if it's not too much trouble, not allow the thing that zero people want in this country?

There are prob ten people here that wouldn't mind it lol

I think there is probably a few hundred people that think they can make money on this idea, so technically it wouldn't be zero..

Its well established at least 40% of this country will always vote against their best their best interest and GOP knows it.

I think there is probably a few hundred people that think they can make money on this idea, so technically it wouldn't be zero..
For sure, but I'd bet they wouldn't want to receive them.

giphy.gif

For sure, but I'd bet they wouldn't want to receive them.

No they would probably be annoyed like anyone else would be. Maybe a little less so, but still annoyed.

How does straight-to-voicemail from the caller's end work? Seems like waste of time and resources to call people who don't want it. I can kind of understand the reasoning from lawmakers, that it's weird that there are working numbers that you are just not allowed to even call, but I don't know why any company would want to hire someone to make a bunch of dead-end calls.

Back