Right, let us finally put an end to the 'Reem is the best HW striker in MMA' falsehood.

Offensively he is excellent. He's unfortunately held back by sometimes poor decision making, average defence and a bad chin.

He might be the best striker at heavyweight in mma. But if he can't stand up to a mediocre striker because he gets hit and takes damage too easily it means squat.

I might be the best striker in mma. But if i get taken down or knocked out six seconds into a round it's a fairly useless talent.

Reem has handily outclassed both on the feet though... and let's face it both have sloppy brawling tendencies
How on earth has he handily outclassed both?? Stipe was much more effective on the feet with his mixed boxing attack. All Overeem did was land a well timed punch (which was good tbf) and a haymaker. That was it. Stipe looked much more fluid on the feet than Overeem did. And Werdum was miles better on the feet than Reem in their first fight (which is was mind boggling how he get wanting the reem to come into his guard), and like I said earlier, Reem, although winning on the scorecards, was barely doing anything significant with his striking at all. Werdum timed him perfectly with the best striking combo of that fight.

How on earth has he handily outclassed both?? Stipe was much more effective on the feet with his mixed boxing attack. All Overeem did was land a well timed punch (which was good tbf) and a haymaker. That was it. Stipe looked much more fluid on the feet than Overeem did. And Werdum was miles better on the feet than Reem in their first fight (which is was mind boggling how he get wanting the reem to come into his guard), and like I said earlier, Reem, although winning on the scorecards, was barely doing anything significant with his striking at all. Werdum timed him perfectly with the best striking combo of that fight.
<36>

Maybe because he don't throw haymaker?throwing combo have nothing to do with how good your striking is and you do realize Overeem main weapon is his knee and kicks? There's a reason why Overeem was able to beats elite kickboxers
You kidding me right? Overeem has thrown amateurish haymakers in two of his last four fights haha. And like I said, having good knees and kicks don't make you the best striker on their own. And winning the K1 was impressive, but if you want to use that logic, you would say Bob Sapp is a great striker as he beat one of the greatest strikers who ever lived in Ernesto Hoost.

You kidding me right? Overeem has thrown amateurish haymakers in two of his last four fights haha. And like I said, having good knees and kicks don't make you the best striker on their own. And winning the K1 was impressive, but if you want to use that logic, you would say Bob Sapp is a great striker as he beat one of the greatest strikers who ever lived in Ernesto Hoost.
Lol when did Overeem throw haymaker in his last two fight? Overeem was dropping and hurting werdum when Overeem strikes connected.
And Overeem threw like 2 strikes in ngannou fight.
And bob sapp was actually trying in the hoost fight.

Lmfao the first fight? Where Werdum would blitz in throw wild shots which all got blocked and flopped to his ass every time he was hit by a counter???

k00d51.gif
2h5ise8.gif
vrsj2u.gif
34xrlmp.gif
11syuty.gif
jiidt5.gif
11loe2u.gif

Lol when did Overeem throw haymaker in his last two fight? Overeem was dropping and hurting werdum when Overeem strikes connected.
And Overeem threw like 2 strikes in ngannou fight.
And bob sapp was actually trying in the hoost fight.
Threw a couple against Stipe and the punch he threw at Francis was technically a haymaker. And Overeem had more power yes, but he ws getting outstruck, watch the fight again. And hahahaha "sapp was actually trying". You make Sapp out to be a decent striker haha.

In his prime you could certainly make the argument, if you cared about such things, which I don't.

nevn9h.gif

ClosedClutteredElectriceel-max-1mb.gif

5.gif

You can clearly see the difference,every time Overeem connected,it drops werdum.
And Overeem was never in trouble in The first fight
Threw a couple against Stipe and the punch he threw at Francis was technically a haymaker. And Overeem had more power yes, but he ws getting outstruck, watch the fight again. And hahahaha "sapp was actually trying". You make Sapp out to be a decent striker haha.
last 2 fight was against ngannou and werdum,and Overeem was clearly hurting and dropping werdum before he got caught.
and let's just assume those two strikes Overeem threw was haymaker.it still doesn't change the fact that overeem has 73 % of total successful strikes landed and werdum is only 57%

Last edited:
doesn't he have the highest striking accuracy in UFC history? I remember seeing some stats, he was handily above everyone else

we've seen him absolutely light up and turn people like Mir and Nelson into punching bags for 3 rounds

when was the last time you saw a HW land a crane kick on another that led to TKO?

UnripeDirectBaldeagle-size_restricted.gif

3o8dp24FVXhb3qeb3a.gif

giphy.gif

showing the various tools at his disposal and all of these guys are people that others would say have elite striking as their main strength

he's absolutely the best striker in the HW division - but he isn't so far ahead of everyone else and I think it's more so that striking at HW all around in MMA isn't all that super elite technically

the fact he's so mentally fragile is the biggest reason he often ends up throwing a gameplan out of the window, but when he's at his best and give time to dictate a fight you can see how high lvl his striking can be

nevn9h.gif

ClosedClutteredElectriceel-max-1mb.gif

5.gif

You can clearly see the difference,every time Overeem connected,it drops werdum.
And Overeem was never in trouble in The first fight

last 2 fight was against ngannou and werdum,and Overeem was clearly hurting and dropping werdum before he got caught.
and let's just assume those two strikes Overeem threw was haymaker.it still doesn't change the fact that overeem has 73 % of total successful strikes landed and werdum is only 57%
Well all you have proved is that Overeem hits harder, which I agree with but still doesn't take away the fact that he got outstruck in this fight. And percent landed can be deceiving as hell. Go watch the Bigfoot fight. Overeem had a very high percentage, but looked very average doing so and did nothing to actually trouble Bigfoot on the feet.

If Reem had an iron chin, he'd outstrike any HW, in terms of skill and effectiveness.
You just can't have a glass chin at HW, costs you too much

Last edited:
Overeem's striking has declined heavily at a technical level.

To highlight my point:

Overeem+GIF+4.gif

Look at his shot selection, how he threw his combos, how he set up his punches. He finds the hole in Aerts' defense on each shot, mixes in kicks, punches, and knees beautifully, and unloads only once he's got Aerts completely defensively. That was his style in K1.

The reality is, Overeem's adjusted his striking to the style of coaches at each gym he travels to. His striking was a lot sharper while he was at Golden Glory and it's slowly declined since then. The coaches there put together the best style for him. He mixed his strikes up the best during that phase.

Are we seriously using the strikeforce fight as "proof" that werdum's a better striker? Cuz that fight was an embarrassment to mma and FW publicly apologized afterwards. You can't throw 2 jabs, flop on your ass the moment the other guy throws one back, and claim you won. He wanted NOTHING to do with overeem on the feet and made that abundantly clear.

Joe Rogan has gone full hot take. He speaks in hyperbole so that he can get them clicks! Whoever wins in the main event at 219 will be the GOAT female fighter and whoever wins the main event at 220 will be the GOAT HW according to joe. Book it

Overeem is the best HW striker in MMA, you have to mention someone better to claim that it is false and you didn't, at least not in a sucessfull way, i'm a great Werdum fan but fuck no, certainly he isn't better than Overeem.
Reem always was, by far, the most technical, the problem always was his chin what made him lose many fights he should have won and was ahead, Stipe has better boxing overall speaking but other than some inside kicks he barely use his legs and he is too flat footed sometimes, with not many head movement. Reem can box, has vicious knees (the best in the game) and his mid/high kicks are super dangerous. I'd give Kharitonov a honorable mention, but yeah i rank Overeem as the best HW striker thus far.

You do realize that Overeem rarely throw combo right?Oh and Overeem was beating werdum before he got caught.and landing more doesn't mean you're a better striker in some cases
lol yeah he does, Werdum throw a lot of combos, he doesn't have too much power so if he didn't used combos he would be one of the most easy fight at HW, Werdum is, at least, one of the 3 most active heavyweights in striking, he is always doing something since he doesn't have cardio problems

The K1 champion credential is definitely a bit overrated, especially given how he won that GP.
ya that tourney was weak that year. but didnt k1 have to change their rules cuz reem would just clinch and KO fools.

One thing people routinely don't ackknowledge is that using hands in mma isn't exactly true boxing, and using hands and legs isn't exactly true kickboxing, mma striking is it's own entity. The skills transfer over, but the threat of elbows, takedowns, clinch and all forms of grappling change the dynamic significantly even though it doesn't always look like it.

Overeem's a great kickboxer, and has impressive credentials, but there are more effective mma strikers than him in the HW division.

Stipe has better boxing than Overeem for example, uses crisper technique and knows how to land them with smooth combos. Overeem has more variety of kicks and is experienced with setting up and landing them.

Mma is so varied, you can't be the best at everything.

Back