Right, let us finally put an end to the 'Reem is the best HW striker in MMA' falsehood.

rd1992

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'm glad people are finally starting to analyse fighters from what they see with their own eyes instead of blindly falling for Rogan's hyperbole. I've said it years back and I'll say it again, Overeem is one of the most overrated strikers I've ever seen in MMA. His boxing quite frankly is mediocre at best, he has absolutely zero head movement, has very good leg kicks but can't use them as much owing to his bad defence and chin, and to top it all off, he rarely throws combinations.

The greatest striker the HW division has ever seen (going by Rogan's claim) barely outstruck Bigfoot Silva and I would argue wasn't that much better on the feet at all, hence why he took him down. IMO, to qualify as the greatest striker of your division, you should have to be so good in the striking department that you feel comfortable standing in front of the other guy, knowing your defence and offence will make the other guy shoot for the takedown. With Overeem, he's actually been the first one to initiate the takedown on numerous occasions, and it's because he isn't this amazing striker people make him out to be. More embarrassingly, he literally ran away from Stipe to avoid a stand up battle which is something no true elite striker would ever do. Hell, Werdum pretty much got he better of the the striking exchanges in his last to fights against the reem.

He's definitely not the greatest striker the HW division has ever seen... that's for sure.

He does have some brutal tools at his disposal.... but no.

Depends how you define "best". I'd argue he's got the best technical striking skills of any heavyweight, and he's got the best striking pedigree of any heavyweight seeing as he's a former K1 champion.

People who have said that have always been retarded. Like a fighter who has that big % of losing a fight standing could be considered the best striker. Lol.

"But..but.. he is more technical"..

He's definitely not the greatest striker the HW division has ever seen... that's for sure.

He does have some brutal tools at his disposal.... but no.
His knees, as brutal and effective as they are, are not enough on their own to justify the overblown praise he gets for his striking.

The K1 champion credential is definitely a bit overrated, especially given how he won that GP.

Depends how you define "best". I'd argue he's got the best technical striking skills of any heavyweight, and he's got the best striking pedigree of any heavyweight seeing as he's a former K1 champion.
Ok, what are these technical skills (excluding his knees) that are so much more advanced than the rest of the division? Are you referring to haymakers, not throwing combos and shooting for takedowns the moment things get tough?

I'm glad people are finally starting to analyse fighters from what they see with their own eyes instead of blindly falling for Rogan's hyperbole. I've said it years back and I'll say it again, Overeem is one of the most overrated strikers I've ever seen in MMA. His boxing quite frankly is mediocre at best, he has absolutely zero head movement, has very good leg kicks but can't use them as much owing to his bad defence and chin, and to top it all off, he rarely throws combinations.

The greatest striker the HW division has ever seen (going by Rogan's claim) barely outstruck Bigfoot Silva and I would argue wasn't that much better on the feet at all, hence why he took him down. IMO, to qualify as the greatest striker of your division, you should have to be so good in the striking department that you feel comfortable standing in front of the other guy, knowing your defence and offence will make the other guy shoot for the takedown. With Overeem, he's actually been the first one to initiate the takedown on numerous occasions, and it's because he isn't this amazing striker people make him out to be. More embarrassingly, he literally ran away from Stipe to avoid a stand up battle which is something no true elite striker would ever do. Hell, Werdum pretty much got he better of the the striking exchanges in his last to fights against the reem.

He is not the best striker (or even close) simply because he loses fights standing so easily. Thats it.

If not him then who?
Good point. I don't think the HW division has a striker who deserves the praise that Overeem gets for his striking (he of course doesn't either), so the best striker would have to be someone who isn't perfect but who's striking has been highly effective to the extent that its generally gotten the better of their opponents. I would say its between Stipe and Werdum believe it or not. Both have holes in their striking don't get me wrong, but imo they are more diverse in their striking than the Reem and have looked much more comfortable on the feet.

Good point. I don't think the HW division has a striker who deserves the praise that Overeem gets for his striking (he of course doesn't either), so the best striker would have to be someone who isn't perfect but who's striking has been highly effective to the extent that its generally gotten the better of their opponents. I would say its between Stipe and Werdum believe it or not. Both have holes in their striking don't get me wrong, but imo they are more diverse in their striking than the Reem and have looked much more comfortable on the feet.
Lol werdum? You serious?

If Stipe beats Ngannou, I'd consider him goat. I just wish Cain would come back

Landing more impactful shots and throwing much better combos, a sure sign of a better striker.
You do realize that Overeem rarely throw combo right?Oh and Overeem was beating werdum before he got caught.and landing more doesn't mean you're a better striker in some cases

You do realize that Overeem rarely throw combo right?Oh and Overeem was beating werdum before he got caught.and landing more doesn't mean you're a better striker in some cases
Because his striking arsenal isn't that sophisticated, he relies upon more one hit power shots. And he was barely doing anything to the extent that he was never comfortably winning which is why Werdum capitalised with a great combo.

Because his striking arsenal isn't that sophisticated, he relies upon more power one hit power shots. And he was barely doing anything to the extent that he was never comfortably winning which is why Werdum capitalised with a great combo.
Maybe because he don't throw haymaker?throwing combo have nothing to do with how good your striking is and you do realize Overeem main weapon is his knee and kicks? There's a reason why Overeem was able to beats elite kickboxers

Good point. I don't think the HW division has a striker who deserves the praise that Overeem gets for his striking (he of course doesn't either), so the best striker would have to be someone who isn't perfect but who's striking has been highly effective to the extent that no one really wants to stand with them. I would say its between Stipe and Werdum believe it or not. Both have holes in their striking don't get me wrong, but imo they are more diverse in their striking than the Reem and have looked much more comfortable on the feet.

Reem has handily outclassed both on the feet though... and let's face it both have sloppy brawling tendencies

Back