Rickson Gracie vs Rolls Gracie

Me Neither !
Rolls was really on a High judo level comparing to rickson ( footsweep , sode to osoto etc..) besides his amazing ground work skills

Rolls dominated Rickson - always on top and forcing Rickson to fight from his back. Some good Judo from Rolls too, I especially liked that left-side Osoto Gake - very slick.

Pretty good quality as well, this has to be around 1976-1980ish.

Man could you imagine seeing those legends train and fight. The gracies really had something special. Rolls and Rickson just sparring not knowing that both their names would one day be considered by most BJJ practitioners as the greatest fighters in brazilian jiu jitsu and vale tudo.

I wish there was more.

Thanks for sharing! Now I am definitely going to purchase that DVD!

Thanks. Tragic that Rolls died not too long after that video.

Rickson getting dominated....mind blown.

Can't help but think BJJ would be quite different with Rolls still around.

people not worrying about belts and no butt scooting...

this video is gold

great roll, bjj the way it should be fought, no butt scooting and playing patacake, working the takedowns.

Fuck Rolls is good...

So can we all acknowledge that Rickson is at least 400-2 now?

I watched The Gracies and The Birth of Vale Tudo last night. This video is a small clip from that dvd. Awesome to see.

Thanks for sharing! Now I am definitely going to purchase that DVD!

really good dvd. you really get so see what badasses the old timers were.

you watch the training like in that video and you definitely wish you knew what it was like to train like back then. back then they were fighting dudes and shit to prove bjj.

now, it is kind of like "damn bunch of sissies now, not wanting to fight and shit and BJJ is just a business transaction"
(if this is you, don't get but hurt)

yeah, it was good. I didn't like the voice over of the brazilian dude but I found all of it very interesting.

Rolls was better than I imagined. The DVD showed one of his fights versus a Karate guy and it was just a brutal display of textbook modern MMA: ground and pound with elbows and finally a rear naked choke.

It's a shame he died so early. He was the Chosen Gracie that was but wasn't.

Wow. That was incredible to see. I honestly thought I was going to get Rick Rolled or something... I had no idea this footage existed.

I believe that Rolls' death was a tragedy for not just the Gracie family, but BJJ itself. His interest in incorporating the best of other grappling styles into BJJ has always struck me as the antithesis of Rickson's rhetoric about the "purity" of his jiu-jitsu. If Rolls were alive today, our sport might look different. It's a shame we'll never know how his innovative style would have evolved.

Sigh. Rafa Mendes better not go hang gliding! Ever!

Back