Rick & Morty Fanbase

Dude, Everything your post is saying, applies equally to people like you who are pretending this show is something deep and great and totally original.

Pseudo-intellectual douche baggery? That's the people claiming this show is so deep. Is it snobby to point out the snobbery of others? Maybe. Doesn't make the other people any less snobby.

Keep in mind, same show that has people freaking out over a made up Mcnugget sauce. So fucking deep.
Eureka!! I'm a snob! The difference isn't I'm not a self-deluded snob! That's how you do this, grasshopper. You either push your chips in, or you step away from the table; in between is armchair hypocrisy. Your failure is in self-delusion. You won't own what you are.

It's funny to me because I'm watching the world slowly wake up to this fact. "Agree to disagree", the watered down plebeian axiom of post-modernism is horseshit for the weak-minded. That was never true. Everyone thinks their opinion is the right opinion, and there is always a central argument that is favored.

The right to have an opinion doesn't entail validity of that opinion. There are objective truths which can be reached, and where there isn't, or where there is, it doesn't matter...it's war. Art is war. It's a fucking war of ideas, man. It's not expression. It's the simplest and most ancient argument: the one over what is true.

Why do you think all those great, white, male authors are being cast off? Does it feel like a friendly "agree to disagree" change that is taking place in curriculum and on syllabi around the country? Of course not. The notion of cultural relativism was actually a strategy to displace and subjugate one writing culture with another.

Harold Bloom has been calling this out his entire life. It's a war between cultures. It's a war between generations with each generation inventing itself anew in contrast to the generation(s) that preceded it. Postmodernists are the unctuous used car salesmen who want us to evaluate good and evil on a relative scale between cultures in the present day; yet they don't mind objectively judging those individuals who belonged to the "corrupt" institutions of history, or afford them any meaningful refuge.

The truth is Christians think they are right, Muslims think they are right, Atheists think they are right, and everybody can't be correct all at once. What can't be proven is irrelevant to what is asserted. As Colbert once observed: everyone thinks he is the one who gets the "big picture". So one shouldn't pretend that he's someone who is upset that somebody else's vision of the "big picture" is different than his own. You have your idea. They have theirs. Your opinion is also one of the show, but one defined by an emotional reaction to something that isn't in the show. When confronted about this you pretend that you aren't arguing your "big picture" at all. That's when snobbery becomes irritating. That's leading a charge into battle by waving a white flag; ruthless intellects won't show you mercy.

You don't think there is much to the show. That's your opinion. You're wrong. Don't couch your inability to articulately critique the show in one of disgust with vanity. You yourself are vain. We all are.

So don't be a weak-minded postmodernist. Own it.

I've never seen the show, but after this thread I'm not sure if I want to watch it.

That's always such an odd thought process to me. I know people who won't watch Game of Thrones just because the fanbase loves it so much.

"Yeah man, I totally won't watch this amazing show just because people really enjoy it"

I'm finally diving into season 4 of Bojack Horseman, I put it right up there with Rick and Morty as the kings of animated comedy right now.

I've never seen the show, but after this thread I'm not sure if I want to watch it.
It's good. Enjoy it for what it is: a funny cartoon show that occasionally hints at something deep, right before it goes back to being gross and funny.

It's good. Enjoy it for what it is: a funny cartoon show that occasionally hints at something deep, right before it goes back to being gross and funny.

It's quite a bit more than that, and even if it wasn't, it's INCREDIBLY funny.

It's quite a bit more than that, and even if it wasn't, it's INCREDIBLY funny.
I you say so. I found season three to be below seasons 1&2, hopefully it picks back up in a year or so when it comes back on.

That's always such an odd thought process to me. I know people who won't watch Game of Thrones just because the fanbase loves it so much.

"Yeah man, I totally won't watch this amazing show just because people really enjoy it"

I'm finally diving into season 4 of Bojack Horseman, I put it right up there with Rick and Morty as the kings of animated comedy right now.

My comment wasn't made as a result of the fans. It's the way the show's been described here that has me thinking that.

I don't know, I don't have cable so I haven't seen it. If it comes on Netflix I'll check it out

I you say so. I found season three to be below seasons 1&2, hopefully it picks back up in a year or so when it comes back on.

I do say so, and thought season three was the best so far.

My comment wasn't made as a result of the fans. It's the way the show's been described here that has me thinking that.

I don't know, I don't have cable so I haven't seen it. If it comes on Netflix I'll check it out

Type in Rick and Morty live stream on youtube and catch a few episodes. It really is groundbreaking stuff. I like depressing stuff, I think Bojack Horseman hits me more on a personal level though.

And a really good video about Bojack and Rick and Morty.

I do say so, and thought season three was the best so far.
Nah. It seemed to lack direction at times, and overall the jokes weren't as good. The finale was especially weak, and left me going "really? That's the season finale?"

Only good part about that finale was that it looks like it reset everything, and douche Rick got his comeuppance.

Of course, that's my opinion.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also Rick’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick & Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick’s existential catchphrase “Wubba Lubba Dub Dub,” which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev’s Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon’s genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Rick & Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the ladies’ eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they’re within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

After all of this, it's personal.

These are the types of people who shout at you, "Uhhh! Shut up!!" when you point out Cronenberg's The Fly is all about abortion and domestic abuse.
Isn't The Fly about aging, disease and death?

Nah. It seemed to lack direction at times, and overall the jokes weren't as good. The finale was especially weak, and left me going "really? That's the season finale?"

Only good part about that finale was that it looks like it reset everything, and douche Rick got his comeuppance.

Of course, that's my opinion.

The season did wander a bit but had some of the best moments of the series.

Isn't The Fly about aging, disease and death?
Less immediate themes, but yes; alternatively, more immediate themes to the main male character, but he isn't the work's protagonist and narrative center. "Disease" subsumes mental illness. Aging and death are interminably intertwined (don't forget that abortion also technically entails death).

Cormac McCarthy once said that the difference between entertainment and art is the confrontation with Death. If your work doesn't in some way deal with it, then it's impossible for it to truly mean anything. This statement has never left me. When the Comics cheat death with stupid retconns (in order to bilk famous superhero icons for a fresh narrative) I always think of it. It's one the greatest critical insights into art ever made, IMO.

I haven't seen a lot of them, but some fans can be quite pretentious about it, and almost take issue with people who like it for it's basic comedic elements, and don't dissect every single gag and line of dialogue.

Don't think it's a big issue one way or another though.

I think people over analyze it and can't appreciate it as a whole and put unrealistic expectations on the while series.

I just now bought seasons 1&2 off ebay (literally in last 5 minutes). I'm still a DVD nut so when I find something I really enjoy I have to add to the collection.

Move on to Blurays....

;)

Move on to Blurays....

;)
Yup, it's not just that it's in HD, they are more scratch resistant so they'll last longer. That alone to me is worth the few bucks extra.

Eureka!! I'm a snob! The difference isn't I'm not a self-deluded snob! That's how you do this, grasshopper. You either push your chips in, or you step away from the table; in between is armchair hypocrisy. Your failure is in self-delusion. You won't own what you are.

It's funny to me because I'm watching the world slowly wake up to this fact. "Agree to disagree", the watered down plebeian axiom of post-modernism is horseshit for the weak-minded. That was never true. Everyone thinks their opinion is the right opinion, and there is always a central argument that is favored.

The right to have an opinion doesn't entail validity of that opinion. There are objective truths which can be reached, and where there isn't, or where there is, it doesn't matter...it's war. Art is war. It's a fucking war of ideas, man. It's not expression. It's the simplest and most ancient argument: the one over what is true.

Why do you think all those great, white, male authors are being cast off? Does it feel like a friendly "agree to disagree" change that is taking place in curriculum and on syllabi around the country? Of course not. The notion of cultural relativism was actually a strategy to displace and subjugate one writing culture with another.

Harold Bloom has been calling this out his entire life. It's a war between cultures. It's a war between generations with each generation inventing itself anew in contrast to the generation(s) that preceded it. Postmodernists are the unctuous used car salesmen who want us to evaluate good and evil on a relative scale between cultures in the present day; yet they don't mind objectively judging those individuals who belonged to the "corrupt" institutions of history, or afford them any meaningful refuge.

The truth is Christians think they are right, Muslims think they are right, Atheists think they are right, and everybody can't be correct all at once. What can't be proven is irrelevant to what is asserted. As Colbert once observed: everyone thinks he is the one who gets the "big picture". So one shouldn't pretend that he's someone who is upset that somebody else's vision of the "big picture" is different than his own. You have your idea. They have theirs. Your opinion is also one of the show, but one defined by an emotional reaction to something that isn't in the show. When confronted about this you pretend that you aren't arguing your "big picture" at all. That's when snobbery becomes irritating. That's leading a charge into battle by waving a white flag; ruthless intellects won't show you mercy.

You don't think there is much to the show. That's your opinion. You're wrong. Don't couch your inability to articulately critique the show in one of disgust with vanity. You yourself are vain. We all are.

So don't be a weak-minded postmodernist. Own it.
Wow, I couldn't have possibly asked for better timing to illustrate my point. Watch the 45 second video to the end. I found a YouTube vid of it below:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/11/politics/sarah-sanders-trump-taxes/index.html

RICK AND MORTY: GAME OF THRONES CREATORS CALL PICKLE RICK MONOLOGUE ‘THE BEST WRITING OF 2017'
The eighth and final season of Game of Thrones doesn't arrive until next year, but you don't have to wait until 2019 in order to get your Westerosi fix. Thanks to an Adult Swim-HBO crossover of epic proportions, Thronescreators D.B. Weiss and David Benioff as well as star Peter Dinklage (Avengers: Infinity War) recorded commentary for the Rick and Morty Season 3 episode titled "Pickle Rick," in which Rick Sanchez (voiced by Justin Roiland) turns himself into a pickle so he can avoid going to therapy with his daughter, Beth (Sarah Chalke), and grandchildren, Morty (also Roiland) and Summer (Spencer Grammer). However, he accidentally falls into the sewer and must get creative to fight a horde of angry rats and black-suited agency men with guns.

The episode ends with Rick, never good with discussing his feelings, finally showing up to the therapy session and shaming the therapist (Susan Sarandon), saying that he looks down on psychology because he's a man of concrete science. Entertainment Weekly has teased out Benioff, Weiss, and Dinklage's commentary during this scene, where they can be heard laughing and praising the insane genius of the show's writing staff.

"This may be the best writing of 2017," says Benioff. "Whoever wrote that, stand up and take a bow."

"Pickle Rick" was penned by Jessica Gao, who has also done work on Star Wars: Detours and HBO's hit comedt Silicon Valley. The Season 3 episode (which also co-starred Danny Trejo and Peter Serafinowicz) has since become iconic for Rick's constant refrain of "I'M PICKLE RIIIIIICK!!!"

Rick and Morty co-creator/star Justin Roiland teased the invasion of Game of Thrones royalty last summer when he tweeted out the following picture:

It's not the first time Weiss and Benioff have "crossed over" onto another TV series. They both wrote the Season 9 episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, "Flowers for Charlie," where Charlie Day's character becomes smart after taking an experimental pill, an overt parody of Flowers for Algernon. The duo returned in the show's 12th season not as writers, but as actors for "The Gang Goes to a Water Park," in which they played uninterested lifeguards. Benioff and Weiss were also recently hired by Lucasfilm to write and produce a new Star Wars film series.

You'll be able to hear the full "Pickle Rick" commentary on the home video release of Season 3 when the DVD and Blu-ray drop May 15.

Uh oh. Whatever will we do about this toxic cerebral alt-right (they're alt-right, right? do we know if they're alt-right? nvm, we can safely call anyone that without risk of libel) fanbase of Rick and Morty??!!!

If you think I'm being hysterical-- I'm not. This is one of the articles our TS is almost certainly referencing:
The Telegraph > Rick and Morty mania: how toxic fans turned a hit cartoon into a hate movement

Last edited:
I don’t really know anything about the fanbase. But I have seen the show a few times and I am convinced it is the best show currently on tv. It is really great. I fully intend to buy the blu ray box set.

The worst ive seen is people claim your stupid if you dont like the show.

I just dont like cartoons. Its a funny show, im kind of tired of hearing about it tbh

Back