Rick & Morty Fanbase

Slick_36

Bad Man from Borger, Texas
@Gold
Reaction score
I have seen 3 or 4 different articles this month on how terrible the Rick & Morty fanbase is. The authors always seem to say how much they like the show, an then distance themselves from the "toxic" fans that seem to be such an issue. Is it really that bad and I've just not been exposed to enough of them? I love the show, it's a perfect mix of silly toilet humor with high-concept sci-fi rigmarole. But what I think makes it special is the heart and depth it has, and the fearlessness in its portrayal of some the harder topics that haven't been fully explored on TV. Certainly not in anything related to the genre.

I get a weird feeling about the targeted heat the show is facing. I think it may be resonating in ways higher ups don't want and there's an attack on the fanbase to discourage people from enjoying it and talking about it. What do you think?

I haven't seen a lot of them, but some fans can be quite pretentious about it, and almost take issue with people who like it for it's basic comedic elements, and don't dissect every single gag and line of dialogue.

Don't think it's a big issue one way or another though.

You don't see it on here as much but on bigger sites, the fan base can be toxic.

I honestly think that it is popular to a large degree because viewers can give themselves a pat on the back because liking it makes them smart.

I watch the show but I don't think that the show is as smart as the writers like to think it is.

Take a really smart movie like Primer or a T.V. show like Bo Jack Horseman and compare it to the writing in Rick and Morty or

Well the fans were berating McDonalds workers just to get some shitty sauce over the weekend, so I can see why they have this reputation.

I also liked this last season. It wasn't as nuanced in showing that Rick, with his god-like intelligence, is not someone to be emulated. Part of the reason the fan base was so toxic was that they treated Rick's word as gospel. This last season really went hard at trying to show that he is an incredibly flawed human being.

I honestly think that it is popular to a large degree because viewers can give themselves a pat on the back because liking it makes them smart.

I watch the show but I don't think that the show is as smart as the writers like to think it is.

Take a really smart movie like Primer or a T.V. show like Bo Jack Horseman and compare it to the writing in Rick and Morty or
It's like people who watch Big Bang Theory, just not as bad.

its the worst fanbase on the planet right now

Makes me ashamed to even like the show

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also Rick’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick & Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick’s existential catchphrase “Wubba Lubba Dub Dub,” which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev’s Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon’s genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Rick & Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the ladies’ eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they’re within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

I haven't seen a lot of them, but some fans can be quite pretentious about it, and almost take issue with people who like it for it's basic comedic elements, and don't dissect every single gag and line of dialogue.

Don't think it's a big issue one way or another though.

^This. I haven't seen people ever take a animated sitcom as seriously as do with Rick and Morty. I even made a thread about not understanding one episode and you had people come in and getting academic about it. It's kind of off-putting actually.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also Rick’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick & Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick’s existential catchphrase “Wubba Lubba Dub Dub,” which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev’s Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon’s genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Rick & Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the ladies’ eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they’re within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

Troll posting, but this is what I mean. Some poster in the last Rick and Morty thread was talking exactly like this. I hope he was trolling, just for the sake of him investing so much into a cartoon.

Last edited:

tenor.gif

Good bait

Fuck off

^This. I haven't seen people ever take a animated sitcom as seriously as do with Rick and Morty. I even made a thread about not understanding one episode and you had people come in and getting academic about it. It's kind of off-putting actually.

I know this is probably troll posting, but this is what I mean. Some poster in the last Rick and Morty thread was talking exactly like this. I hope he was trolling, just for the sake of him investing so much into a cartoon.

Know Your Meme

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also Rick’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick & Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick’s existential catchphrase “Wubba Lubba Dub Dub,” which itself is a cryptic reference to. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon’s genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

8/10

Oh man, that last season of Bojack Horseman was incredible. The writing was really something special, I was begrudgingly telling myself that it's better than Rick & Morty from a writing standpoint. They're both head and shoulders above their peers though. Bojack plays the long game better than any other show I can think of, but Rick & Morty have great contained episodes and perform some real miracles in terms of the stories they tell in 21 minutes.

The pretentious crowd is entertaining it doesn't really bother me.

But the Zerg wave of teens that clearly don't understand the pop culture references and some of the jokes yet will shout pickle Rick and wabbadubdub like an austic retard is fucking annoying, and they are everywhere in any videogame you play.

I also liked this last season. It wasn't as nuanced in showing that Rick, with his god-like intelligence, is not someone to be emulated. Part of the reason the fan base was so toxic was that they treated Rick's word as gospel. This last season really went hard at trying to show that he is an incredibly flawed human being.
I loved that aspect of it. Ironically it's very intelligent people who tend to abandon wisdom for facts and cold logic, and that foolish mentality can spiral in to some awful things. The show has done a good job of jerking the audience and their expectations around.

I haven't seen the last season outside of the first episode which was amazing. I planned on catching up in the next day or two.

I just started watching it and it's pretty good stuff. I normally don't watch a lot of cartoons (wife does) but this one is pure gold imo....

Back