Request Poll: If the fight continued, do you think Chiesa was going to escape the choke?

I don't think so, but I didn't think Kish could have escaped either

There is a huge difference in the power, force, and overall grappling prowess between Felice Herrig....and a submission expert and NCAA wrestler like Kevin Lee.

WMMA takes another fail. If you let another fighter slip out of a RNC, thats says a lot.

Me neither but theres plenty of times where ive said 'Ive never seen that before'

And the stoppage was a shame. but let's not pretend there was any chance.

McGregor has a higher chance of technically dominating Floyd in the boxing ring for 12 rounds than Chiesa had of escaping that choke.

We don't fucking know, obviously.

Thanks Mario.

Imagine if Hughes/Trigg2 was stopped after Trigg latched on the RNC.

Uhm, Hughes was defending the choke....pulling the arm down, scrambling to his knees and eventually got a body lock from it. Chiesa literally just stopped fighting

Going stiff is a sign of unconsciousness.

If you watch MMA, how have you never noticed a fighter stiffen up when going unconscious, either by a submission or being knocked out? It's pretty common.

Was Mike just throwing his arms in the air to show us he was ok? Decided to stop defending the choke to show off?

He clearly wasn't unconscious. There is no way in hell his regaining of consciousness just happened to coincide with the very second Yamasaki stopped the fight. Not to mention, he was very vocal and energetic for someone who had just "gone unconscious". He wasn't unconscious. I can't believe this is even being disputed.

As soon as the choke got tight he stopped defending and just started flapping his arms in the air like a tranquilized T-Rex.

No way he was coming back

McGregor has a higher chance of technically dominating Floyd in the boxing ring for 12 rounds than Chiesa had of escaping that choke.

In what world do you live in where there is no chance when you aren't tapping?

So now we are going to try to guess what a fighter is doing when he isn't tapping or out? Are you retarded?
Both of his arms bounced in sync and the rest of his body wasn't moving

That's a telltale sign a guy's about to go unconscious

As a 4th degree ju-jitsu black belt himself, I'm willing to bet Yamasaki has seen this plenty of times and knows how to read it

But you probably know better than him

Yamasaki should have let it go on a bit longer but at least he didn't wait too long like this youtube video.

In what world do you live in where there is no chance when you aren't tapping?

tapping is the way you surrender when you are in a position where you can't get out. It isn't the key definer of when you can or can't get out of a submission. Lots of people tap out to submissions that aren't even deep, but there was still a chance. It's totally different.

BOTH of his hands started doing the chicken dance at the same time which means he wasn't defending and was at most 1-2 seconds away from being asleep. Not only would he never have escaped but the stoppage was a good one. And for the record I hate Lee and Mario Mazzigotti...

I wouldn't call it a bullshit stoppage, but it falls into the "a little early" category

The onus was on Chisea to fight his way out of that, or signal to the ref he was ok. Bouncing arms and a glazed look in your eyes don't say "I'm ok"

That all it is.. I just don't want to hear people complain like Chiesa had a chance. The RNC is Kevin's signature submission. He had the body lock, arm under chin and palms latched on Michael's back

Props to him for trying to go out like a warrior. But.. He was going out.

Uhm, Hughes was defending the choke....pulling the arm down, scrambling to his knees and eventually got a body lock from it. Chiesa literally just stopped fighting

Yeah, at the end.

At the worst moment, the RNC was locked with the hooks in. Fighters go out with their hands on the other fighters gloves all the time.

Only way to avoid these debates and bullshit stoppages is to only stop the fight due to submission is by tap or unconciousness.

Period.

Pretty obvious now Chisea played possum so the ref would stop it and he wouldn't have to admit defeat against Lee

I didn't think Wonderboy was going to survive Woodley's DEEP choke either. I was wrong.

tumblr_ogknkvVFUR1vu6duzo7_500.gif
Kinda see your point! But and I'm in guillotine is a lot different from fully sunkin rear naked choke, where the fighter that is being choked isn't even fighting to get out of it. Mike had given up already

People who go stiff don't literally flatten noob
They don't get up in .1 seconds if you're going "stiff" either noob, let him sleep or tap.

You're just speculating
ConstantHiddenCivet.gif

that's what it looks like when a fighter goes stiff, notice her arms are actually limp?
notice how she doesn't immediately get up?

class dismissed..

Last edited:
In the post fight press conference he said he knew what he was doing and in the process of squeezing his shoulders together to fight the joke. I watched the fight again and tried hard to imagine him doing what he was saying, but it appeared he could barely move a muscle, let alone fight the joke.

Back