Republicans blatantly attempting (and succeeding) to erase the black vote in Georgia

Lustercross

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
On Thursday evening, the election board of Randolph County, Georgia, met to discuss a startling proposal to eliminate three-fourths of the county’s polling places months before the November election. A rural, impoverished, and predominantly black county, Randolph has just nine polling locations, all of which were open during the May primaries and July runoffs. The election board may soon shut down seven of them, including one in a precinct where about 97 percent of voters are black. Its plan would compel residents, many of whom have no car or access to public transit, to travel as much as 30 miles round trip to reach the nearest polling place.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...ds-on-erasing-the-black-vote-its-working.html

Republicans are so shameless. How is this not illegal???

Are there funds to keep them open? If so there should be no reason to close them, if not, then it’s a money issue not a party issue

What in the fuck.

Didn't they give an official reason for doing this?

We need more voting places ffs, sad. Every legal American should find it easy to cast a vote.

That some low down dirty bird politics...

An accurately written history of this period will note that Republicans effectively launched a coup against our system of government.

30 miles round trip isn't too bad. That's only 15 miles away. I think if they do have to close those locations, they should wait until after the general election in November.

Are there funds to keep them open? If so there should be no reason to close them, if not, then it’s a money issue not a party issue

In all of Georgia? Pretty sure they can find a few dollars.

Just not allocating the money is no different.

@7437

It’s rural GA, most of the time rural places don’t have money to spare. Traveling 15 miles from the country really isn’t that far. I’m not saying shut them down, I’m asking why, I’m not jumping the gun screaming racism

If the Republicans succeed, they should pay the public school bus drivers to bus the citizens to their new polling locations.

@7437

It’s rural GA, most of the time rural places don’t have money to spare. Traveling 15 miles from the country really isn’t that far. I’m not saying shut them down, I’m asking why, I’m not jumping the gun screaming racism

It's in the article. No problems with money.

I'm in a rural area. I'm currently doing a 30 mile round trip beer run.

In before "Bu bu but Dixiecrats!"

It is insane that this is happening

Back