Remember that time elderly Mark Coleman beat Stephan Bonnar?

I was pretty shocked with the result. Say what about want about Bonnar, but he was always competitive in his career other than a pre-UFC cut stoppage loss to Machida. He was known for having good cardio, unbelievable toughness, and a competent mixed martial arts game. Prior to their fight, Bonnar had lost to Bones, but came away looking near unfinishable as he survived a brutal elbow to the back of the head and ended up winning the third round. Coleman looked like hot garbage against Shogun in their gasfest. It seemed like Bonnar would have a major cardio edge. The problem was Bonnar's wrestling was just too weak to sap Coleman and Coleman's wrestling top game was enough to negate Bonnar's BJJ. Wasn't a dominant win, but a pretty embarrassing loss for Bonnar.

Coleman got old, but he is on the list of guys you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley at any age. Some guys are just tough...Him, Bas, Hunt, Frye, Shamrock....just tough dudes.

A stiff breeze of air could knock out Shamrock, I wouldn't be too terrified if that guy started raising his voice at me.

Styles make fights. Hardnosed, high level wrestler beats Bonnar, a fighter who was competent everywhere but not elite anywhere. Even if Coleman was past it, at that point, he had the skillset needed to decision Bonnar.

True. Bonnar was a proto-modern MMA fighter, jack of all trades but master of none.

It was a great moment from a great fighter.

Bonnar was top 10 LHW in 2006.

For beating Jardine and Irvin? Seems extremely generous, especially since the Pride 205 division was still running high. Plus Bonnar failed a drug test for boldenone that year.

The best MMA wrestler I've seen.
I agree.

Him and GSP. They might not have been the prettiest or most technical wrestlers. They stuck to the basics but they were the most effective wrestlers I have ever seen. They had unstoppable double legs and could actually keep people down.

Nobody could escape from underneath Coleman. He had an unsweepable base. He could do so much damage from inside someone's guard.

I couldn't fucking believe it but it made me so happy.

As a fan of old school UFC it was one of my favorite victories, a relic from the no gloves no rules no holds barred era dominating a young TUF era fighter in his old age, I loved every fucking bit of it, dedicate that fight to all the millennial clowns that think old school UFC wasn't MMA or that it shouldn't count or whatever, shit was legit back in the day.
Old school UFC was way more dangerous than it is today, I can't imagine someone thinking it wasn't legit.

He had shogun in some tough spots too lol coleman is a true mma legend

The best part was, if anyone saw the post fight interview, even Mark Coleman was surprised as fuck that he somehow pulled that shit off.

<Lmaoo><45><45><Eek2.0>:eek:

elderly mark coleman beat up shogun too lol

Bonnar was top 10 LHW in 2006.

In the UFC? or Overall? I can't see Bonnar being ranked in the top 10 LHW world wide in 2006

Wand
Chuck
Rampage
Shogun
Lil Nog
Tito
Forrest
Randy

Then you have guys like Vitor and Hendo who jumped around in weight. Bonnar definitely should not have been a top 10 LHW and if he was actually ranked there, it is a joke

The same year as the Bonnar fight. Coleman almost won and it was fight of the night.

I was joking about beating him up. But it was a very good fight.

Goes to show you how good Coleman was that he almost pulled that off at 44 and it being his first fight in 3 years.

Yeah but Shogun no spring chicken either

Coleman is 17 years older than Shogun haha

Shogun was definitely slowing down from injuries by then, but you can't really compare a guy in his late 20's to a guy in his mid 40's (when they fought)

Shogun was definitely slowing down from injuries by then, but you can't really compare a guy in his late 20's to a guy in his mid 40's (when they fought)

Shogun is older than his age

Ya shogun's age was what allowed him to comeback from those big early injuries (until he reinjured himself).

It was hilarious when dana approached him backstage to fight chuck right after the coleman fight. He thought he could get chuck a big name win against a guy that struggled vs old coleman. But he was back in form for the liddell fight. Poor chuck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back