red blue divide in takeup of electric vehicles

Ya my uncle has the model X. and it takes some getting used to. It's really bizarre how you don't even have to start the car. If the keyfab is present it just goes. The thing is fast as hell and handles much like a luxury car
That's what I like to hear! Everything is on the touch screen too, right?

I think I'll get used to it. Takes 9 months to a year to get though.

This guy nailed it
raw

That's what I like to hear! Everything is on the touch screen too, right?

I think I'll get used to it. Takes 9 months to a year to get though.

Yep. The enormous 17 inch touchscreen. A ton of advanced driving and efficiency settings. It was honestly too much for me as I'm not exactly a car enthusiast.

Ya I think you have to put some $$ down and then just wait

Yep. The enormous 17 inch touchscreen. A ton of advanced driving and efficiency settings. It was honestly too much for me as I'm not exactly a car enthusiast.

Ya I think you have to put some $$ down and then just wait
I'm not a car guy either (big sports guy). I think the deposit for the model 3 is $3k.

I'm not a car guy either (big sports guy). I think the deposit for the model 3 is $3k.

Same here. I only have a car to get me places lol. I'm not man enough to know much about them

Don't forget the right wing morons altering their trucks to burn gas less efficiently and shoot more pollution into the air.

Did you read the article? Liberals are happy to use other people's money to fund tax credits and grants to promote a technology that isn't otherwise valuable enough to persuade customers to buy it or for companies to accommodate it (with charging stations). Liberal states spend more to promote electric vehicles than red states do.

Even if you get range to be several hundreds of miles, electric vehicles aren't suitable for road trips because of the recharging time. That means most families wont buy an electric vehicle to be their only / primary vehicle.

Also, electric vehicles typically aren't capable of the same acceleration as their ICE counterparts (Teslas are the exception here). In some places, a slowly accelerating vehicle is a danger to the occupants and those nearby. Regardless of the danger issue, the inability to merge quickly costs people in slow vehicles, by prolonging their commutes.

Regarding maintenance, not every shop is prepared to service electric vehicles. This makes maintenance more difficult, and can make it more costly as well. A friend of mine recently had to have their Tesla towed hundreds of miles because they tried to make a point about taking an electric car on a road trip. It broke down on them hundreds of miles from home, and none of the nearby shops wanted to work on that car. That maintenance cost them plenty of money, and time, and ruined their vacation.
as i understand it the incentives vary by state, and are an inducement to take up a new technology instead of the overwhelmingly established one.
they probably have clean air targets to meet and this is a cost saving method of reaching them.
i would imagine gas car producers have been the happy recipients of billions in tax breaks and special deals by states over the years.
not to mention the trillions spent on foreign "adventures " to secure cheap oil supplies.
fast chargers can recharge 80% of the battery in 30 to 45 minutes, its just a matter of time before the infrastructure is in place to support nationwide charging.
anyway, as i said, range extenders make that argument a non starter.

i was under the impression that electric motors were considerably faster accelerating than a gas powered gearbox driven car, certainly tesla has supercar performance.

using a single incident to illustrate the reliability of electric cars is not really going to stand up as an argument.
its a relatively new technology,and a tesla is probably under warranty for repair only by authorised dealers.
i imagine if a ferrari broke down in alabama you'd be hard pressed to find a nearby repair shop to tackle the job, as with the charging infrastructure, give it a few years and a more established network will grow to service it.

maintenance costs are a fraction of a gas powered car, simply by having less components to go wrong (3000 compared to several hundred), and less to replace as they wear.

i understand these vehicles arent for everyone, some want a truck for hauling and off road capability, well thats coming too.
there are arguments to be made that it will adversly affect jobs in the auto sector, less mechanics, parts dealers, etc, and thats understandable

but these objections dont really convince me you have thought this through.

Last edited:
There is one thing that scares the shit out of me about electric cars and it's what happened when Hammond crashed that Croatian made hyper car. If Clarkson and Co can be believed the thing was STILL catching fire from the batteries weeks later.
wouldnt be the first time they've bullshitted about anything powered by a battery, even they were impressed by tesla
just as there are bad gas cars, no doubt there will be a few dodgy electric models.

i like the concept of the electric vw bus, but that awful steering wheel has to go, its out in 2020

I'd love to have an electric car. Cost along with no where to charge it make it kinda of difficult.

I'd love to have an electric car. Cost along with no where to charge it make it kinda of difficult.
give it a few years, there will be a well established second hand market, and as they bacome more common, i think production scale will bring new prices down.
as for charging, i dont know your driving needs, but in the uk most journeys 90% are less than 30 miles a day, so less charging needed, and public fast chargers, they are working on a 15 minutes version will make it more accesible to people, drive to work, plug in, or drive to the coffee shop, think of wireless internet, it was patchy at first, now its everywhere.
people who predict this sort of thing have brought forward the "tipping point" for mass uptake , its inevitable that at least 50% of ther cars on the road will be electric in the near future.

wouldnt be the first time they've bullshitted about anything powered by a battery, even they were impressed by tesla
just as there are bad gas cars, no doubt there will be a few dodgy electric models.

i like the concept of the electric vw bus, but that awful steering wheel has to go, its out in 2020

It was on their Amazon show so it's newer and they were raving about this car but Hammond fucking flipped it going around a corner and there's video of it on fire and it wouldn't surprise me given the amount of batteries in it that they could keep shorting out days later causing fires.

It was on their Amazon show so it's newer and they were raving about this car but Hammond fucking flipped it going around a corner and there's video of it on fire and it wouldn't surprise me given the amount of batteries in it that they could keep shorting out days later causing fires.
for a 'car guy' hammond sure crashes a lot , i see your point but not sure its any more dangerous than a tank of flammable liquid under you, and if it proves to be a problem, a fire suppresion system has to be a workable fix.

Liberals like to pretend they are Al Gore because they drive a prius.

In the "dog" thread you made so much sense and sounded like a great human being.....and then you post this bullshit.

for a 'car guy' hammond sure crashes a lot , i see your point but not sure its any more dangerous than a tank of flammable liquid under you, and if it proves to be a problem, a fire suppresion system has to be a workable fix.
They ripped on him for the entire season about it:

"So Hammond, we've found out that UNLIKE an American you can't drive in a straight line (referencing the funny car dragster crash) but we've ALSO found out that just LIKE an American, you also can't drive around a corner... just what the hell are you good for?" -Clarkson
"Waking up with firemen cutting his trousers off while he's strapped to a board" -May

First there is the distance you get on a charge.

Then there is not much you can work on yourself.

Then the resale value is low.

I'm sorry men, if you drive an electric car, you might as well wear one of these:
3b6eee143842499802f9060a3033adfb--for-men.jpg

My biggest concern right now with electric cars (other than the whole batteries shorting out in a wreck thing) is the mileage on them sounds great... but I have to imagine if you're driving over like the Snoqualmie Pass in WA or driving through a blizzard that changes the charge on the battery cause of the strain (driving over the pass) or temp (the blizzard).

I know they have meters and shit inside to tell you how much time you have left but if I am driving from Seattle to The Columbia River Gorge for a music festival, as of now, I seriously doubt there will be many charging stations on the way.

give it a few years, there will be a well established second hand market, and as they bacome more common, i think production scale will bring new prices down.
as for charging, i dont know your driving needs, but in the uk most journeys 90% are less than 30 miles a day, so less charging needed, and public fast chargers, they are working on a 15 minutes version will make it more accesible to people, drive to work, plug in, or drive to the coffee shop, think of wireless internet, it was patchy at first, now its everywhere.
people who predict this sort of thing have brought forward the "tipping point" for mass uptake , its inevitable that at least 50% of ther cars on the road will be electric in the near future.

Charging is an issue due to living in an apartment. Prolly won't get away from having a decent sized truck though being in construction, but for driving around town don't understand how anyone wouldn't want an electric car.

Don't forget the right wing morons altering their trucks to burn gas less efficiently and shoot more pollution into the air.
I want a diesel truck but I've never understood the whole "rolling coal" thing. It ruins engines so you have guys with amazing engines like the Cummins that come in Dodge trucks and they fucking ruin them by monkeying with them like that.

EDIT:
I'll freely admit I'll probably put what's called a "leveling kit" into my next truck so that it sits level as most trucks lean slightly forward so it sits level when the bed is loaded up. Only reason I'll do that is so I can put on some more AT/MT type tires given what I use my truck for so that won't help the mileage there... but at least I'm not fucking with ECU chips and purposely making it run shittier for the sake of some black smoke.

Last edited:
Back