Recommend me an EDC folder

SpawnOfNyarlathotep

I trigger people
Banned
Reaction score
I lost my Spyderco Tenacious that I had for a couple of years. Liked that fucker. Went back a few times to look for it but the goddamned grass that I lost it in is just to thick. Have to wait for autumn or get a metal detector I guess... Since I can't bother with that shit I thought would just cut my loss and buy a new one. Then I came to think of the wonderful people here on sherdog who might be able to recommend me another model that I could upgrade to.

So, what I am looking for is:
- a folding knife (duh)
- not too big size (Tenacious was ok. I wouldn't be too comfortable with something much larger given the retarded laws in my country)
- good steel (the tip and edge should not be easily dulled from everyday work like wood work and the like, or repeated stabbing into someone's sternum or slicing of a mugger's throat)
- decent price (meaning I don't want to spend 4x what I spent for that Tenacious)
- ambidextrious one-handed opening and closing
- pocket clips that you can put on any side at any end of the handle. 4x or whatever they call it.
- spring assisted is a plus but nothing necessary, and if the spring deteriorates noticeably over time then I don't want it
- good grip (tenacious grip was nice)
- lightweight (Tenacious was ok in that regard)

That's it I guess.. Discuss!

I've always liked the Endura Wave 4. Has a bit sticking out so, it can draw quick when pulled out of your jean pocket.

Kershaw Leek.
Sypderco Delica.

Those have got to be the two best EDC choices in your parameters.

The Spyderco Paramilitary2 is a classic already, it's a really nice knife. Endura and Delica are great models as well.

If he is sensitive about the cost and the blade size, PM2 probably not a good choice, since it is pricey and pretty big.

If he is sensitive about the cost and the blade size, PM2 probably not a good choice, since it is pricey and pretty big.
Relatively, but yeah.

benchmade-griptilian.jpg

Griptilian by Benchmade. Multiple blade types too.

Or, the spring assisted Infidel they make:

I have:
-griptilian
-Emerson commander
-Emerson cqc7
-spyderco pm2
-Ontario rat1
-Crkt m16-14

I pretty much only use the griptilian.

I lost my Tenacious too. Loved that thing.
I'm getting a Cryo next. I can't justify spending more than $50 on a EDC.

My EDC work knife is my Hogue EX04

I usually wear my infidel with shorts and my ZT knives with jeans.

20151030_150457-1_zpsqh9pwypj.jpg

If ts can own autos there is the Kershaw Launch series for around $100

kershaw-launch-auto-blk-7800blk-cm-large.jpg

KS7100BWac.jpg

How useful are autos anyways? Assisted openers like Kershaw speedsafe are so violently fast anyways, what's the point of full auto with button/switch relative to an assisted opener? It just seems a bit gimmicky. Are they more fun to play with?

They just look heavy and over complicated to me. I can't imagine anybody in the real world uses such a thing for tactical purposes, relative to a fixed blade.

How useful are autos anyways? Assisted openers like Kershaw speedsafe are so violently fast anyways, what's the point of full auto with button/switch relative to an assisted opener? It just seems a bit gimmicky. Are they more fun to play with?

They just look heavy and over complicated to me. I can't imagine anybody in the real world uses such a thing for tactical purposes, relative to a fixed blade.
I think the Infidel it's a slide, it's not really button the way a switchblade works.

Just for fun/cool I suppose, it is maybe slightly faster. I don't own an auto side folder but I've messed with them and yeah it's mainly a cool/fun factor.

The launch 6 is $108, 3.75" 3.8oz(top pic). Not exactly cumbersome for the blade length.

An OTF on the other hand is awesome imo. Auto out and in. When working on cutting little things where you are picking up and putting down the knife a lot it's really nice to able to pop in and out. I don't like leaving my knives open if they are set down while I'm working on something.

I guess that makes sense --- it's consistent with the uber-functional OTF device that is more usually used for such purposes.

1280px-Box-cutter.jpg

Automatics are unfortunately not legal where I am.. :)
The weight and size of the Delica won me over. I'm in a country where knives are frowned upon, so the more discrete it is, while still having a decent sized blade, the better.. Thanks everyone!

Back