Recent fights/results/news from Thailand

I mean if you look at Yodpanomrungs performance while having a big cut in the end of the 4th round and in early 5th round, would you call it lack of fight spirit? Lack of fight spirit to me is more stopping fighting and only trying to survive in the ring. I think the acknowledging defeat thing is a cultural thing more than a personal lack of fight spirit. Not a weakness

Dude, it was like two years ago you only came to know weigh ins are on the same day.

If you would have asked me right now, I still wouldn't be sure. Not sure how weight ins are any important in the bigger picture.

You and others don't want to participate in this "circle jerk" because you have no desire to do any digging. You have no problems participating in the kickboxing "circle jerk" because you actually follow it and know it.

digging? Don't act like it's rocket science to follow the sport. All information is freely available on the internet and everyone who frequents this forum knows where to find information. The last year I even came across to aquire at least decent enough thai skills to navigate myself through most thai sites and get the basic grasp.

I don't need this rotten community for it. Not in the slighest.

And there isn't a kickboxing circle jerk. Just an actually enjoyable community, that likes to talk about the niche sport we all love.

I don't see how i, or pretty much anyone on here, could be in any position to feel disrespected. The fighters don't owe me anything. They do however, clearly, owe something to the gamblers and gyms owners who are heavily invested in the outcome of the fight and these guys careers. Those guys are the fighters main benefactors, fans like us don't matter. By fighting the way they do, they give themselves the best chance to win, so I don't see how they're disrespecting the sport, and serve their benefactors. If they did anything else, or tried to fight like it was a kickboxing bout, that would be disrespectful to the people and sport who are giving them their livelihood.

you're right in the bigger picture, it makes sense. I was just looking at it from just a sport perspective, and trying to get my point across from that viewpoint.

And in stadium muay thai it's pretty common to see fighters put themselves at risk, by only throwing punches, during the end of the fight in an attempt to do something dramatic to turn the fight around. You pretty much never see this type of desperation in other combat sports when one person is clearly behind. Most of the time the fighter who is behind is just content to let the other cruise to a decision win and keep on fighting the same way. So from that perspective you see plenty of "fighting spirit" in the stadiums that you don't in other combat sports.

If a fighter doesn't actually give it their all or fight in a way which gives them the best chance to win, or show requisite "fighting spirit", they are going to hear about it from the gamblers and other people in the community as well.

If you would have asked me right now, I still wouldn't be sure. Not sure how weight ins are any important in the bigger picture.

digging? Don't act like it's rocket science to follow the sport. All information is freely available on the internet and everyone who frequents this forum knows where to find information. The last year I even came across to aquire at least decent enough thai skills to navigate myself through most thai sites and get the basic grasp.

I don't need this rotten community for it. Not in the slighest.

And there isn't a kickboxing circle jerk. Just an actually enjoyable community, that likes to talk about the niche sport we all love.

To follow the sport and actually develop awareness is most certainly something that takes time. Following Muay Thai is almost like what participation is in most things. where practice and repetition is the key to getting somewhere.

To follow the sport and actually develop awareness is most certainly something that takes time. Following Muay Thai is almost like what participation is in most things. where practice and repetition is the key to getting somewhere.

is that an empty phrase or are you actually trying to tell something?

I don't consider giving up disrespectful, but I agree with some of the sentiment. Not fighting a round would be like making no attempt to avoid having a game called by mercy rule at halftime. Or giving up when you're two sets down in tennis. I wouldn't be surprised if that were described as showing a lack of competitive spirit.

And in stadium muay thai it's pretty common to see fighters put themselves at risk, by only throwing punches, during the end of the fight in an attempt to do something dramatic to turn the fight around. You pretty much never see this type of desperation in other combat sports when one person is clearly behind. Most of the time the fighter who is behind is just content to let the other cruise to a decision win and keep on fighting the same way. So from that perspective you see plenty of "fighting spirit" in the stadiums that you don't in other combat sports.

What? You see guys try to turn it around in the last round all the time in other combat sports?

If a fighter doesn't actually give it their all or fight in a way which gives them the best chance to win, or show requisite "fighting spirit", they are going to hear about it from the gamblers and other people in the community as well.
In somewhat close kickboxing fights it's much less certain who the winner will be so it makes sense to keep on fighting until the end hoping you'll get the nod. One sided beat downs and mismatches are also more common though in 3 round fights where no gambling is involved. I'd guess fighters at MX and MAX fight until the end just as much as kickboxers do. KO's and putting on exciting fights seem to be more valued in those as compared to stadiums where very much is at stake and fighters try to maximize chances of winning.

What? You see guys try to turn it around in the last round all the time in other combat sports?
In kickboxing it's not uncommon to have a guy getting beat up even in the last round, just trying to survive until the bell rings.

If a thai is behind in the 5th round he will do his best to catch up or score a knockdown. But if a fighters only chance of winning is to score a knockdown he will be very predictable, it will be easy for the winning guy to dodge all his shots. From what i've seen it's pretty rare for the winning guy to get kO'd in the last round. I think Palangpon was winning in the 5th round in his last fight, but got KO'd by a headkick

In somewhat close kickboxing fights it's much less certain who the winner will be so it makes sense to keep on fighting until the end hoping you'll get the nod. One sided beat downs and mismatches are also more common though in 3 round fights where no gambling is involved. I'd guess fighters at MX and MAX fight until the end just as much as kickboxers do. KO's and putting on exciting fights seem to be more valued in those as compared to stadiums where very much is at stake and fighters try to maximize chances of winning.
Yes, obviously the context is very different, so it's no real surprise you get fighters fighting differently. Stadium muay thai basically has an open scoring system. Guys know, within some degree of approximation, whether they are ahead or behind so they can make decisions on how to fight accordingly. It doesn't leave any room for excuses or a fighter deluding themselves into believing that they are winning a fight, when they are way behind. So guys will sometimes stop fighting, if they've way behind and don't see any way of turning the fight around.

Last edited:
First 3 fights

Kaimookao/Rodtung

Yothin/Kengart

Petmorakot/Yodpanomrung

Those sweet camera angles! Anyone know what weight Petmorakot and Yod fought at? Petmorakot is looking massive. Hard to believe he was fighting at 130 not long ago.

I haven't seen the theptaksin fight but muay thai fights often appear as "close" to the untrained eye, but the trained eye can see who is leading very clearly. If one guy lands 3 clean kicks in a row without getting countered, it can be difficult to catch up for the other guy. If they quit fighting in the 5th round one guy is usually too much ahead. If the fight is close round 5 will be fought intensively aswell. In the 5th round, the guy going backwards is most often the one that did better in rounds 3 and 4, while the guy that is chasing is trying hard to score so much, or to get a knockdown so that he could turn around the fight.

In the Sangmanee/Superlek fight, i didn't see Sangmanee winning by the 3rd round, and by the 4th round it was clear he was going to lose unless he pulled off some magic.

Ha ! Well I guess that I'll never be able to score a MT fight (although I'll keep on trying), but one thing I learned is that the big puncher going forward in the 5th is the guy loosing.

So I knew the outcome. But I was surprised to see the sign that announced the outcome, let's put it this way.

3rd was close but Superlek edged it out then Superlek ran away with it in the 4th. Takes a while to get used to the scoring, there are still outcomes that surprise me.

I don't see how i, or pretty much anyone on here, could be in any position to feel disrespected. The fighters don't owe me anything. They do however, clearly, owe something to the gamblers and gyms owners who are heavily invested in the outcome of the fight and these guys careers. Those guys are the fighters main benefactors, fans like us don't matter. By fighting the way they do, they give themselves the best chance to win, so I don't see how they're disrespecting the sport, and serve their benefactors. If they did anything else, or tried to fight like it was a kickboxing bout, that would be disrespectful to the people and sport who are giving them their livelihood.

I agree with this post.

Many dynamics in stadium MT are obviously idiosyncratic (all the money / gambling / promoter / gym owners / etc. game) compared with many other combat sports, so it is impossible to look at stadium MT the way that we would look at MMA / K-1 / whatever.

Stadium MT is obviously not marketed for us and the taste and fighting "ideals" of Western fans is probably the last thing on these guys' mind.

Therefore for a total outsider to talk about "disrespect" in that context is abit idiotic. Disrespect to whom ? I doubt any of the people that matter in any way feel disrespected.

you attended one of the most stacked muay thai cards of past times and that's what you have to say? must've been real fun.

so I suppose to praise the fights just because it was stacked in paper ?
I also went to lumpinee stadium in december when Muangthai fought yodpanumrung and the fights were much better overall with less dancing around, this 1 minute bullshit didnt happen in most fights

this is 1 minute thing is clearly an unspoken rule that is a shame and waste of time, just like the celebrating after each round to impress the judges

and people defending the thai rules to score the fight are been fanboys

its like I make a tournament with the best fighters who prepare their whole lifes and the winner of the fights wont be the one who makes more damage, not who do anything related to fighting or beating the crap of the opponent, but the one who slaps the butt of the opponent more times

Im not saying that they are not good fighters, for sure they are probably the best striking fighters in the world, but this scoring system is so bizarre that it's a waste of good fighters, even though im not saying a noob should be able to score professional fights, everyone knows what a FIGHT means, and the objective and the rules should award the fighter who won the fight ( in the essence of the word )

so I suppose to praise the fights just because it was stacked in paper ?
I also went to lumpinee stadium in december when Muangthai fought yodpanumrung and the fights were much better overall with less dancing around, this 1 minute bullshit didnt happen in most fights

this is 1 minute thing is clearly an unspoken rule that is a shame and waste of time, just like the celebrating after each round to impress the judges

and people defending the thai rules to score the fight are been fanboys

its like I make a tournament with the best fighters who prepare their whole lifes and the winner of the fights wont be the one who makes more damage, not who do anything related to fighting or beating the crap of the opponent, but the one who slaps the butt of the opponent more times

Im not saying that they are not good fighters, for sure they are probably the best striking fighters in the world, but this scoring system is so bizarre that it's a waste of good fighters, even though im not saying a noob should be able to score professional fights, everyone knows what a FIGHT means, and the objective and the rules should award the fighter who won the fight ( in the essence of the word )
It's called muay thai, not street fight.

Either scoring system willbhave advantages and disadvantages though. In stadiums you don't get many controversial decisions like in other promotions.

Back