Recent fights/results/news from Japan II

I was expecting one of those buddhist looking ones, but he's got the American History X one lol

This thread isn't the same without @Karaev fan :(

Don't worry we have loads of quality ongbakboy posts to look forward to now

9T1kgIr.gif

In place of @Karaev fan, the April 22nd K-1 Japan SuperBantam Tournament card thus far:

Tourney:
Ishida Keisuke vs Charles Bongiovanni
Takei Yoshiki vs Antonio Orden
Terado Nobuchika vs Jamie Whelan
Kubo Kenji vs Leung Pakyu

Reserve fight:
Izawa Namito vs Suzuki Yuya

Superfights:
Takeru vs Victor Saravia
Hiroya vs Yamato Tetsuya

Super Lightweight Title Fight
Kaew Weerasakreck vs Yamazaki Hideaki

Super Lightweight Title Fight
Kaew Weerasakreck vs Yamazaki Hideaki
Meh. Only interested in seeing Kaew vs Roosmalen or Qiu Jianliang. Not many other threats at his weight class.

Don't care for that matchup as Hideaki is coming off two losses. Certainly not deserving of a title fight. Gonna be an execution, at least we'll get that highlight.

I wonder how Kaew vs Singdam would go in KB rules. Singdam did beat Kaew a few times in the Stadiums.

Yeah, I think Noiri might be the best kicker he fought in KB, but kickers in KB are more low kick and head kick guys than the chop-you-in-half middle kicker like Singdam.

I wonder how Kaew vs Singdam would go in KB rules. Singdam did beat Kaew a few times in the Stadiums.
Iirc they fought once as part of a tournament and Singdam brutalized Kaew with long knees. The fight used to be on youtube.

Last edited:
Kaew is a much improved fighter. Remember that.
All that time spent kickboxing has shown Kaew how to box and control distance in a way he never did before when he was a stadium fighter. K1 improved Kaew the same way it did Buakaw.

Once Thais spend a bit of time kickboxing abroad they realise that what worked in Thailand won't work abroad, so they spend time studying the foreigners techniques and incorporate them into their own thai style. In much the same way that Dekkers revolutionised muay thai in the early 90s by showing the effectiveness of boxing, so too have the best thais of this generation learned to incorporate new and innovative techniques after having seen the different styles on offer when they fight abroad. Take Saenchai for example, the greatest muay thai fighter of his generation, who uses such unorthodox techniques as cartwheel kicks, jumping roundkicks, jumping pushkicks and other moves not found in rigid traditional muay thai. It was only after spending so much time abroad that Saenchai was able to take the next step in his progression as a martial artist by absorbing the foreign modern techniques and dominate his stadium competition. If he had not spent his time so wisely abroad improving himself I think we can assert, with great confidence, that the later part of his career would not have been as fruitful as it was.

I have great optimism that this represents the wave of the future in muay thai and that as more and more thais gain exposure to western thought, the rigid chains which have long governed what techniques were seen as acceptable in traditional muay thai will be broken. Now, having overcome that impediment a boundless ocean of unlimited possibilities lies before us. And I predict that in the coming years a new and revolutionary hybrid of traditional and modern muay thai (neo muay thai, if you will) will emerge to dominate the sport by incorporating the best insights of both. The ultimate confluence of eastern and western thought.

Last edited:
Back