Recent fights/results/news from Europe

Didn't really take all those Thai "signings" that seriously at the time. Figured Jom was realistic and anything beyond that was extra. And Buakaw...sure sure.

Didn't they sign that Jaidee guy who was a top guy from the borderland fights?

The SK selections were live on Youtube with English commentary, the main show is tomorrow.

SK CEO Irimia says a new board will take over in 2018, budget 3 million euros for purses + cars at every special edition. Plus debut in the US.

Colosseum again, third or fourth event of the new Romanian promotion. They looked to have also signed Bogdan Stoica now, after Amansio Paraschiv, Milea or Hurduc brothers. With Digi Sport behind, largest sports television of Romania.

21370950_2023129821302038_8968478086983167589_n.jpg

Yodkhunpon is good for getting likes on facebook but i think the fight will be pretty boring with Tyjani winning on points

Didn't see any threads on it here but what did you guys think of Saki's UFC debut? I thought his striking looked great initially but his conditioning started to fail him a bit after Da Silva forced him to grapple. Da Silva is definitely not a world beater but in terms of a debut it was a pretty difficult opponent, I was kinda thinking Saki might end up like Andy Souwer but his take down defence wasn't that bad for a guy with 6 months of sprawl training.

Didn't see any threads on it here but what did you guys think of Saki's UFC debut? I thought his striking looked great initially but his conditioning started to fail him a bit after Da Silva forced him to grapple. Da Silva is definitely not a world beater but in terms of a debut it was a pretty difficult opponent, I was kinda thinking Saki might end up like Andy Souwer but his take down defence wasn't that bad for a guy with 6 months of sprawl training.
Yeah he looked good. Crazy how some disagree with me when I talk about guys like Yodwicha and Superlek in MMA but look at Saki. I bet Yodwicha would have great take down defense. The changes he would need to make for MMA would come a lot more naturally to him and he's so much younger with more tools in his arsenal.

Saki's game seemed to shut down as soon as there was no ref to break the clinch and the Brazilian guy kept kneeing him. I gotta give him credit though, his TDD was on point. It will be interesting to see how many new tricks the old dog can learn.

I don't think that fight was very insightful about his TDD as brazilians have the worst takedown skills ever.
His striking is obviously on another level but it's a whole new game and he's only getting older. I hope he has some friendly matchups and put on fun fights and only if his development as a well rounded mma fighter is off the charts he should face legit grapplers.

Yodwicha would be a totally different story, he's young and has a decent grappling background to rely on. On theory he would be the perfect guy to break ground into mma but even then it 's a huge gamble.

Yodwicha would be a totally different story, he's young and has a decent grappling background to rely on. On theory he would be the perfect guy to break ground into mma but even then it 's a huge gamble.
Why would it be a gamble? He could easily learn mma for 6 months whilst competing in mt. He doesn't need a lot of time to get ready for mt fights. Then when the time is right face a nobody in mma and gradually raise the competition whilst simultaneously becoming less active in the mt world. Nothing wrong with taking a loss in mma but if he keeps losing and decides to stop there's always mt to fall back on.

I don't think that fight was very insightful about his TDD as brazilians have the worst takedown skills ever.
His striking is obviously on another level but it's a whole new game and he's only getting older. I hope he has some friendly matchups and put on fun fights and only if his development as a well rounded mma fighter is off the charts he should face legit grapplers.

Yodwicha isn't a heavyweight or light heavyweight either, so he would actually have to face decent fighters on the way up. All the notable kickboxing crossovers have been heavyweights, in no small part because that division sucks.

Why would it be a gamble? He could easily learn mma for 6 months whilst competing in mt. He doesn't need a lot of time to get ready for mt fights. Then when the time is right face a nobody in mma and gradually raise the competition whilst simultaneously becoming less active in the mt world. Nothing wrong with taking a loss in mma but if he keeps losing and decides to stop there's always mt to fall back on.

I have no doubt he could crush nobodies in mma if he trained for a good while (more than 6 months IMO). I think it's a gamble whether he could become really good (like top 50 at LW) in mma though because learning defensive grappling to the point of defending effectively against lifelong wrestlers and submission artists is no joke and even the transition of striking from muay thai to mma is not a sure thing. nak muays and kickboxers are used to defend a lot of strikes with gloves that would land flush in mma and throw kicks that would get them taken down into a surefire loss.

learning defensive grappling to the point of defending effectively against lifelong wrestlers and submission artists is no joke and even the transition of striking from muay thai to mma is not a sure thing. nak muays and kickboxers are used to defend a lot of strikes with gloves that would land flush in mma and throw kicks that would get them taken down into a surefire loss.
Yodwicha is 21. What about all those fighters that started MMA in their early 20's with no grappling background and went on to be successful? Not everyone in fighter comes from a grappling background. Conor McGregor for example. Made his pro debut at 20. Had no grappling experience. He won his first 2 fights than got submitted in his 3rd fight but look where he is now. Yodwicha might take a loss here and there but he's used to that. And Yodwicha does have grappling experience. Just different but enough to make it work if trained correctly.

All these changes you speak off like the mma gloves and grappling will not be a serious issue for him until he reaches a certain level which will take a while and when that time comes he should be more than ready.

Yodwicha is 21. What about all those fighters that started MMA in their early 20's with no grappling background and went on to be successful? Not everyone in fighter comes from a grappling background. Conor McGregor for example. Made his pro debut at 20. Had no grappling experience. He won his first 2 fights than got submitted in his 3rd fight but look where he is now. Yodwicha might take a loss here and there but he's used to that. And Yodwicha does have grappling experience. Just different but enough to make it work if trained correctly.

All these changes you speak off like the mma gloves and grappling will not be a serious issue for him until he reaches a certain level which will take a while and when that time comes he should be more than ready.

you're being overly optimistic only looking at the good side (which is cute) while I'm being pragmatic and realistic (maybe cinic). I don't know what would happen - that's my point. you're acting like it's a black and white deal like 'elite muay thai + 6 months of sprawl training = OMG MMA GOAT!!!'

those guys that started MMA in their early 20's likely had at least a few years of grappling training before their debut and learned striking in an MMA context. Conor relies on distance control and throwing one single kill punch, he doesn't throw combinations and heavy round kicks. Yodwicha would have to adapt his stand up game so much, much of what he knows and is great at wouldn't work. walking forward eating some shots is a bad idea in mma.

having said that, he could very well turn out to be a natural for defensive grappling given his clinch skills and adapt his striking style effortlessly and become top ten at the most stacked division within an year. no one knows.

you're being overly optimistic only looking at the good side (which is cute) while I'm being pragmatic and realistic (maybe cinic). I don't know what would happen - that's my point. you're acting like it's a black and white deal like 'elite muay thai + 6 months of sprawl training = OMG MMA GOAT!!!'
I just want to see it more than anything and that's why im being optimistic. Its curiosity. Breaking down all the positives and seeing what Yodwicha can work with. For all we know he could be shit but we'll never know until we see it. Thai fighters are some of the most skillful fighters in all combat sports. We've seen them go into kb and dominate. We've seen them go into boxing have some success so I'm curious as to what would happen in mma. I also like the culture of mt and I think a dominant Thai in mma would bring more needed attention to it. I still think among most mma fans there's still a lack of appreciation/recognition for real mt.

I just want to see it more than anything and that's why im being optimistic. Its curiosity. Breaking down all the positives and seeing what Yodwicha can work with. For all we know he could be shit but we'll never know until we see it. Thai fighters are some of the most skillful fighters in all combat sports. We've seen them go into kb and dominate. We've seen them go into boxing have some success so I'm curious as to what would happen in mma. I also like the culture of mt and I think a dominant Thai in mma would bring more needed attention to it. I still think among most mma fans there's still a lack of appreciation/recognition for real mt.
Lol i can appreciate the sport but mma culture is the worst.

Back