Real talk: Difference between what Colby said and Brazilian fans remarks over the years?

Why would i need to do anything?

She's not really a filthy cunt so it means nothing and if she is a filthy cunt then it's honesty. No reason to let words affect you in any way.

So you're gonna let some guy call your mom a cunt right in front of you, and you're not the pussy, but the people who punch the guy out are the pussies.

Ok!

I mean thousands of Brazilian fans over the years have always chanted "You will die!" to non-Brazilians and never showed respect for non-brazilian fighters when fighting in Brazil. Then comes Colby and pretty much says the same thing and everything blows up and Brazil feels its the most disturbing thing thats ever happened. Why the double standard?

Brazil does not even know about it, much less who is Colby. MMA coverage has gone dead here with Anderson downfal

TS has a point, but I think the key thing is that the Brazilian fans chanting and jeering non-Brazilian fighters is couched within the context of the sporting event. I imagine that if Colby saw some Brazilian fans on the street after the event had he not said anything toward them, they would not have wished him any ill will and he probably would have been able to interact with them without much beef. Maybe I'm being naive but that's just my thought. As vocal supporters (and over the top at times) of their fellow Brazilians, they are caught up in the event but they are not looking for blood against those that beat their countrymen, which I feel Colby is trying to portray.

But if that anger and ire is confined to the sporting event, Colby is bringing his animosity (whether it is all showmanship or hype or legitimate beef) out to the streets and everywhere he goes now. I mean walking by Cordero and Werdum and calling them animals...what point does that serve? There are no camera rolling then and there.

That said, good thread TS but I'm sorry, every time I see the words Real Talk, this will always be the first thing I think of.

Because it's funny.

First of all, all Brazilians are not the trash you describe. There are plenty of educated men, women, children, who come watch the fights and don't yell profanities at non-brazilian fighters. Calling all Brazilians filthy animals is offensive nonsense that should be fined/punished. You don't call an entire nation a profanity.

The few Brazilian fans who go crazy at the non-brazilian fighter, shouldn't be rewarded with a response. Besides, if someone calls you a son of a whore, calling him a son of a whore in return IMO just lowers your own worth more than it lowers his.

Yea because I've never heard American fans chant "asshole" .....I've listened to fellow yankee fans in the bleachers call the opposing teams outfielder a "fucking :eek::eek::eek:g*t" and you wanna sit here and justify that piece of shit Covington. There's no excuse. Stop acting like a couple chants represents the whole nation.

At the end of the day, no Brazil = no UFC

If you wanna be a heel and cut a promo that's fine, but there's no need to cross that line. It's like going into Harlem and dropping the N bomb

The GOAT insult.

giphy.gif

So offensive it's used multiple times in the classic kids movie Home Alone. If people are offended then they're sad crybabies.

I mean thousands of Brazilian fans over the years have always chanted "You will die!" to non-Brazilians and never showed respect for non-brazilian fighters when fighting in Brazil. Then comes Colby and pretty much says the same thing and everything blows up and Brazil feels its the most disturbing thing thats ever happened. Why the double standard?
nah.
Only to ignorant fools who don't want/care to recognize the blatant difference.

When UFC arrived in Brazil, they made all their shows as Brazil against the World.
This pretty much set the tone for most UFC events in Brazil, and hence locals obviously took side of their fighters.

To explain the difference, just note how the cards are here in US. Fights are not set with an American against non-Americans, and we still get plenty of chants of "USA!!! USA!!!".
UFC caters to nationalism, and it obviously works.
Add the fact Brazilian as nationalistic as Americans (or most other nationalities).

But before you start trying to compare the "USA!! USA!!!" chant with the "UH, Vai Morrer", you have to understand the irreverence of Brazilians.
At about the same time UFC arrived, there was a VERY popular movie in Brazil (Elite squad - watch it if you can! it is an amazing movie!). - That's where the chant comes from.

Brazilians simply found amusing to use the phrase from the movie on the inherent violence from MMA, and hence the chant started, created roots with the UFC Brazil and since this chant became more or less the same meaning that "USA!!! USA!!!" has to Americans... but obviously with the aforementioned Brazilian irreverent sense of humor.

Once you understand this, it is quite clear to see they don't mean it.
No fighters were EVER attacked by the fans. Quite the opposite.
Most fighters roam free in Brazil before (and after) the event, and they are treated very well (said by all fighters during interviews).
Heck, even Sonnen (who was absolutely HATED due to his disrespect of the Nogs and Anderson Silva) was treated very nice while he spent months in Brazil - without security - while filming his TUF against Wandi.
He even owns a beach house in Brazil...where he goes... ALONE (or with his family)...

so now I need to ask you: Does that look like a place where they really wish fighters to die?
The answer is obviously no, despite what the taunt they scream at events translates to.

So no, the taunt isn't an offense thrown at the fighter. But what Colby said WAS an offense he hurled at Brazilians who were merely rooting for his fighter... one who is one of the most respectful guys in all of MMA. So I am sorry, they are not even close to the same thing!

"you will die" is less offensive than "filthy animals"

So you're gonna let some guy call your mom a cunt right in front of you, and you're not the pussy, but the people who punch the guy out are the pussies.

Ok!

Words just mean nothing.

They only affect you if you let them.

But every non-Brazilian fighter walking into the Octagon deserves to die?

This is also an issue with direct translation of any language. The Brazilian chant directly translated perhaps dies say " you will die" , however ... when they are chanting it at soccer games and MMA cards it's more of a " you're going to lose". In English we say things about sports like " we're killing them", "you're going to get hammered ', or whatever else. That doesn't mean that fans and the opposing team and actually going to kill them or take hammers to them. It's perspective.

If a fighter doesn't want to hear these things going into a country where it happening, a tradition as it were. If the fighter is that sensitive, then don't go there if it bothers them so much.

You're taking this almost personally TS. Either you really do have issues with Brazilian people or you just can't see the forest for the trees.

Someone said to you somebody's head is up someone elsees ass. In your eyes dies that mean that head is truly up someone's ass? Some sayings are exaggerated, just the same as in Brazil when they do the or chant. If Colby can't deal with a saying without getting his feelings hurt. That's just sad

This is one time you're not going to sway people with silly arguments on why Colby gets someone charged after tossing a toy at them

Brazilian fans aren't celebrities and by this point we get used to it.

Colby is trying too hard, too much, and too soon. He might be on his way to superstardom but he has to pay his dues first.

It wouldn't bother me.

It's usually coming from a moron so it doesn't mean anything.

Libel and slander (you know, ''just words'') can and have destroyed lives, it would definitely bother you since you could potentially lose your job and the respect of your peers over it, even if at the personal level you say you don't care.

Libel and slander (you know, ''just words'') can and have destroyed lives, it would definitely bother you since you could potentially lose your job and the respect of your peers over it, even if at the personal level you say you don't care.

Those are weak people that let it bother them.

Ban.
Also lawsuit coming your way.

It's because they're all hypocrites and snowflakes.

<Fedor23>

And cucks...don;t forget cucks.

and libtards...

and betas...

and SJWs...

and every other cliche drip-fed to you and regurgitated ad nauseam by you braindead rightwing cousin fucking troglodytes :)

Ones a professional. Or suppose to be.

The others are drunk fans.

Really?

First of all, all Brazilians are not the trash you describe. There are plenty of educated men, women, children, who come watch the fights and don't yell profanities at non-brazilian fighters. Calling all Brazilians filthy animals is offensive nonsense that should be fined/punished. You don't call an entire nation a profanity.

The few Brazilian fans who go crazy at the non-brazilian fighter, shouldn't be rewarded with a response. Besides, if someone calls you a son of a whore, calling him a son of a whore in return IMO just lowers your own worth more than it lowers his.
Ummm lol "filthy animals" is not a profanity....idiot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back