Read This

But:

- Stronglifts is done 3 times a week.
- Tosa specifically lists the main exercises around which the routine should be designed (all present in Stronglifts), and states that you should add to them.

Havin clarified that, does your statement still stand? Or since it's a beginner program I should forget all about adding things?

Thanks!!

THE BUMP, sorry I am for.

Regarding this

I want to start Stronglifts 5x5 ( squats, deadlifts, barbell rows, bench press, overhead press)

Questions:

- How many and what exercises (pull ups, dips) should be added (if possible). Another 5x5 for pull ups and dips?
- What abdominal and core work should be added (if possible). I'm completely lost here.

Thanks in advance.

The program specifically says not to fuck with it, so don't.

None. That's exactly what that quote means. Once you're maxing out 5 sets each day on 3 compound lifts, you shouldn't be able to do assistance work in a meaningful way or recover from it.

5x5 is a beginners program. In an intermediate program weighted dips/pull ups might become a useful assistance exercise to bring up a weak link.

Volume tolerance is variable, and Stronglifts starts off super light. Following the program as written, for some trainees it might be several months before their recovery is taxed in any meaningful way, especially if they have decent base in some sport.

13) Likewise, delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) also gives no clue as to the effectiveness of a workout. It just means A) you have a ton of microtrauma in a muscle or a lot of lactic acid/ waste products. Congratulations.

14) “Core stability training” is not done on a swiss ball or a stability board. It’s done by pulling heavy deadlifts, standing overhead presses, full squats, heavy barbell rows, heavy farmer’s walks, Atlas stones, tire flipping, reverse hypers, heavy back extensions, glute ham raises, and heavy abdominal work.

15) A good gym has nothing to do with how nice the machines are or if they have a pool or tanning beds or even if it’s air conditioned. A good gym smells like a mix of body odor and liniment and supplies their members with a big box of chalk.

Kelly Baggett, one of the best strength coaches his take as well on how to get bigger

This is not to attack anyone but I'd be willing to bet a lot more natural muscle has been built using the recommnedations of Matt and Glenn over the years then all the complicated bodybuilding schemes out there. The problem with bodybuilders is they try to overcomplicate everything and lose site of the big picture.....that's making strength gains in the gym on basic movements along with scale weight increases on a week to week basis. Now you can complicate that as much as you want but those are the only 2 things it takes to get big. It doesn't take any sort've fancy specialized training routines and special diets. If more people would spend more time in dark stinky ass gyms worrying about putting weight on the very basic movements and spend more time eating in high volume (note the golden corral reference) with an emphasis on gaining scale weight then a lot more muscle would be built.
For every bodybuilder who has success building a physique naturally I'll show you at least 20 who don't get jack **** in the way of results because they sit around with their thumb up their butt worrying about this and worrying about that and basing everything off of their "pump"...worrying about the "feel" of this exercise and trying to trash the muscle every workout without any regards to periodization and failign to realize that if they would've just strived to put 50 lbs on their squat and 15 lbs on the scale their problems would be taken care of......They go starving themselves to death on boiled chicken and broccoli while spending $300 per month in supplements thinking they can get "bigger" and "smaller" at the same time spending 5 years wasting time not gaining 10 lbs of scale weight all while looking at strength athletes with their nose up in the air when what they don't realize is that fat powerlifter they like to make fun of has actually put on 50 lbs of muscle in the last year and he could spend 3 months stripping that fat off and hand you your ass and balls in a bodybuilding contest simply because he trained very simple, focused on strength gains and most importnatly wasn't afraid to sit down at the dinner table and do some serious eating.

Give me 2 twin brothers one who hangs around with and reads bodybuilding related info for a year and another who hangs around with and trains at a powerlifting gym both without steroids and after that year is over let's see which one builds more muscle. Nine times out of 10 I'll take the powerlifter.

Having said that a strenght athletes routine may not be 100% optimal for a bodybuilder but there are a lot of things people could learn from strength trainers.
They also lack than animality haha, I have more fat than aesthetic guys in the gym but have a look that I could destroy them in a fight and while they are nice people in other gyms guys like them aren´t nice but they don´t say anything when they meet a guy with an olympic or powerlifting psyquique...

I have time now to train and do 2 days leg day (squat and some machine work like leg curling) and one day upper body (deadlift, press and some pulling work with those cable machines I don´t know the name in english_) so do you think for Judo I could throw a sprint or kettlebell workout?
We are training Judo twice a week only as is off season so plan to do a nice strength program before March where I train Judo from Monday to Friday and have no acces to the gym ...

Hey, what happened to the first post? I can't see it. @PUO3 did this get scrambled somehow?

I am going to bump this... I feel it deserves more attention, and doesn't get bumped as often as Carnal's treatise.

And actually I like it a lot more than Carnal's Treatise

/Blasphemy
I think Carnal's Treatise had more of a "get pumped up" factor to it.
This OP was more informative. Carnal was more let's go destroy these fucking weights!!!! IMO

I think Carnal's Treatise had more of a "get pumped up" factor to it.
This OP was more informative. Carnal was more let's go destroy these fucking weights!!!! IMO

Yeah, exactly. Carnal's Treatise feels like it's about the life of getting stong, and the mentality of people who are strong as f*ck. This has a lot more detailed and practical advice. I guess at the end of the day they are both awesome, and so it's great that we have them both linked to early in the FAQ.

About the part where you said majority of athletes should do squats more than once per week. Did you tried to go running after doing legs? Its impossible for me,thats why i cut squats last year and since than i do my exercsises for lower body with kettleball.

About the part where you said majority of athletes should do squats more than once per week. Did you tried to go running after doing legs? Its impossible for me,thats why i cut squats last year and since than i do my exercsises for lower body with kettleball.
Sounds like you need to just suck it up and get your legs stronger.

Most of my entire lifting life I've squatted once a week, with a few runs at squatting 2-3 times per week. I can't say that I personally saw one drop of benefit from the increased frequency. It was ok when all I did was lift and eat, but when I wanted to do other things, it just wouldn't work long term.

A lot of these programs available today are for people who just lift and nothing else.

I simply attribute superstars success to drug use, where you can use shitty form and still get ripped and huge. Same thing with the magazines, Flex has some of the most asinine workouts I've seen, focused more on annihilating than stimulating.

Back