Read This

First time I read this, it's great.

First time I read this, it's great.

It's one of the reasons it needs to be bumped- it seems that not all of the regular/established posters have read it, let alone newcomers. And it is indeed great.

Great read. The little skinny guy part really hits home and from the example gives me more motivation to actually get in the gym and go "lift heavy things"

I read this before I read Carnal's treatise. Even shared it back on Facebook way back.

There's a reason it's linked to twice in the S&P FAQ! I don't know how often it gets read, though- it rarely gets bumped.

It rarely gets bumped cause the title is eh. Now if the title was "how to stay alpha amongst the weak and frail, then read this"

But back to the point. It's a great informative read.

I want to somehow post it in my gym and then point at it when some guy walks past me and looks at me, then looks at what my bar is loaded to, then looks back at me.

I want to somehow post it in my gym and then point at it when some guy walks past me and looks at me, then looks at what my bar is loaded to, then looks back at me.

He is probally thinking "gym bunny" lol
I keed.

But seriously it is nice to see women doing some serious training instead of carrying the pink dumbells.

He is probally thinking "gym bunny" lol
I keed.

But seriously it is nice to see women doing some serious training instead of carrying the pink dumbells.

I know, I'm working on embracing this label. I need one of those getups the chicks wore in the classic playboy clubs. Seriously. The getup in question has to have a tail on it, and I will find a way to wear fake bunny ears without it interfering when I go under the bar on a squat setup. I am determined.

Just remember, there's very specific rules about how the ears are positioned. If you think just wearing them any old way will do, you're sorely mistaken.

Good post(s). Way to bring up the quality of the forum for a minute. For some reason, Glenn's quotes have a russian accent in my head.

I can just imagine Glenn looking at a heavy Barbell and growling, "You vill lose!" like Ivan Drago!:icon_chee

I know, I'm working on embracing this label. I need one of those getups the chicks wore in the classic playboy clubs. Seriously. The getup in question has to have a tail on it, and I will find a way to wear fake bunny ears without it interfering when I go under the bar on a squat setup. I am determined.

I know. I'm concerned about this. If the ears are down, no lift. Red lights all over the place. it looks like I'll be doing some sort of neck-limbo to get my head under the bar when setting up.

One of the interesting points Enright raises is the frequency of Squats and Deadlifts; if I'm reading it correctly - and that's a big "if" - a 2 day split such as Deadlift/Bench and Squat/SOHP would actually be superior to a 3 days per week split where one only performs one of the Big 4 Lifts.

This is because there would be weeks when one would Squat but not Deadlift, or vice versa.

I am going to bump this... I feel it deserves more attention, and doesn't get bumped as often as Carnal's treatise.

And actually I like it a lot more than Carnal's Treatise

/Blasphemy

Nice bump, first time I read it. Need more of these threads.

This was very good and informative.

What's the consensus on Westside these days? Noticed they get a lot of hate. Is it justified or are the hipsters en masse?

THE BUMP, sorry I am for.

Regarding this

3) And for that matter, EVERYONE’S program should be centered around these exercises: Full Squat, Deadlifts (or cleans or both), heavy barbell rows, bench press, and Standing Barbell Military/Push Presses. Add pull ups, barbell curls, dips, heavy abdominal work, and some core work (back extensions, reverse hypers, or glute hams) and that should make up 95-100% of the total number of exercises you do. The most effective training is simple and hard.

I want to start Stronglifts 5x5 ( squats, deadlifts, barbell rows, bench press, overhead press)

Questions:

- How many and what exercises (pull ups, dips) should be added (if possible). Another 5x5 for pull ups and dips?
- What abdominal and core work should be added (if possible). I'm completely lost here.

Thanks in advance.

I want to start Stronglifts 5x5 ( squats, deadlifts, barbell rows, bench press, overhead press)

Questions:

- How many and what exercises (pull ups, dips) should be added (if possible). Another 5x5 for pull ups and dips?
- What abdominal and core work should be added (if possible). I'm completely lost here.

Thanks in advance.

None. That's exactly what that quote means. Once you're maxing out 5 sets each day on 3 compound lifts, you shouldn't be able to do assistance work in a meaningful way or recover from it.

5x5 is a beginners program. In an intermediate program weighted dips/pull ups might become a useful assistance exercise to bring up a weak link.

Back