Social [Rats Infestation] How Rats Took Over New York

Why Chicago is Losing the War on Rats
The “rattiest city in America” can’t keep up with skyrocketing rodent complaints
By Casey Toner and Mina Bloom | August 31, 2023

Before moving into an apartment in Ukrainian Village last May, Liz Murray asked her new landlord if the vintage building had any rat problems.

The landlord assured her the six-flat, built in the early 1900s, was free of rodents, adding that pest control “routinely checks” for signs of infestations.

Months later, Murray found out none of that was true.

In the spring, Murray’s then 15-year-old daughter heard clattering from their kitchen cabinets. At first Murray thought little of it, but her daughter was worried, so Murray set up a camera in the kitchen.

Turns out the camera wasn’t needed. As Murray was calling 311 one day for help, a rat shot across her apartment floor. The building’s maintenance man found their apparent entryway — a hole behind Murray’s kitchen cabinets, covered in rat droppings. Not long after, a neighbor across the hall reported he had caught two rats in his apartment.

Murray, 40, repeatedly turned to her landlord and the city for help, but her pleas to fix the persistent rat problem were rejected or ignored, leaving her “flabbergasted,” she said.

“When I spoke to [a city employee], I said, ‘This is a safety issue, you guys aren’t helping me. What can you do?’ They said, ‘You can try to talk to your landlord again, and I was like, ‘Who can help me have a safe place to live? I don’t have a safe, clean space, which is what I was guaranteed,’” she said.

Murray is hardly alone. An investigation by the Illinois Answers Project and Block Club Chicago shows that since the beginning of the pandemic, record rat complaints have overwhelmed city services. The city’s resources are stretched thin, and so many residents have complained that the city’s Inspector General’s office is auditing the Bureau of Rodent Control.

Last year, Chicagoans made more than 50,000 rat complaints, a slight decline from the prior two years but still significantly more complaints than in recent years, according to data from the city’s 311 call center.

An investigation by Illinois Answers and Block Club has found that the city is ill-prepared to handle the surge of complaints. The city bureau tapped to combat rodents is short staffed and often days or weeks late in responding to complaints; its yard inspection service is limited in hours and excludes more than a third of Chicago homes. City loopholes also allow for major construction projects to begin without first addressing rat infestations. On the enforcement end, the city’s attempts to reign in the biggest violators with fines are often futile. In one instance, companies managed by a north suburban woman have incurred more than $15 million in unpaid, rat-related tickets on Chicago properties.

Most people, in fact, don’t pay their fines. The city has issued 117,000 rat-related tickets since 2019 totaling $153 million — with more than $126 million in ticket debt outstanding, according to an analysis of city data.

Streets and Sanitation Commissioner Cole Stallard and Rodent Control Deputy Commissioner Josie Cruz declined requests for an interview.

In emailed statements, a rodent control spokesperson noted that the requests for rodent abatement are “trending back towards pre-pandemic levels” even with the loss of staff, which the city attributes in part to retirements and transfers. The bureau increased its garbage cart replacement budget this year from $3.3 million to $4 million to stop rats from feasting inside broken garbage bins, records show.

But experts say the city’s efforts are no match for the city’s outsized rat problem. Chicago has topped pest control company Orkin’s list for rattiest city in the country for eight consecutive years.

“We’re outnumbered at this point. We’re way outnumbered,” said Janelle Iaccino, marketing director for Rose Pest Control. “It doesn’t give us much hope for coming down in the ranks for rattiest city.”

In Chicago and other cities across the country, rats are an inescapable part of everyday life. No matter where people live, they're likely to see rats scurrying across sidewalks and alleys and zipping into trash cans, searching for their next meal.

There's only one species in Chicago: The Norway rat. Female rats can give birth to more than 50 offspring per year. And several months after being born, female rats can reproduce. In the right environment, zoologists say, two rats can turn into several thousand over a year.

The high rate of reproduction is one reason the city can sometimes feel overrun by rats.

Rats can chew through electrical wires and destroy property, and while many people find them gross, they also pose serious health risks. The rats found in urban areas are “loaded with” diseases, said New York-based rodentologist Bobby Corrigan, who has studied rats for more than 30 years.

They carry a bacterial disease called leptospirosis, which can cause acute kidney failure and liver disease in pets. Records show that at least three people have reported since 2019 that it killed their dogs.

One of those people was Jennifer Bandola. She and her husband, Doug, lived in a house in the 1600 block of West Belle Plaine and had repeatedly called the city in 2020 to take care of a rat’s nest in their backyard, but nothing worked.

That same year, they adopted an 8-week-old bernedoodle, Georgia, and brought her home to their Lakeview home. Not long after, the puppy contracted leptospirosis and died.

“We didn’t have her very long, it was only a couple weeks,” she said. “She was just a sweet little dog who would walk around with her mouth open and wait to bite you.”

After Georgia died, they dug up the backyard flower bed where the rats lived and continued to call 311 to kill the rat’s nest, but the rats persisted. Heartbroken, the Bandolas left Chicago and moved to Bloomington-Normal.

“There is definitely something that needs to be done about the rats,” she said. “If it’s not the city who is responsible for it, I don’t know who is.”

Chicagoans have explored myriad approaches to kill the rats: dry ice, rat poison, garbage can repairs, taking a hands-off approach to urban coyotes, an army of feral cats that has also proved effective at killing songbirds. But what the situation actually demands is cleanliness because rats are only after one thing: food.

“Everyone thinks you get an exterminator, put out some poison, when in fact it’s not going to do much at all unless you correct that simple kindergarten lesson of keeping your place clean,” Corrigan said.

Chicago could benefit by following the lead of other cities that are attacking aggressive rat populations in new and interesting ways, experts say.

New York City recently hired its first-ever “Rat Czar,” Kathleen Corradi, to fight the city’s ongoing rat problem during an increase in rat sightings during the pandemic. City officials said New York City has seen a reduction in rat complaints after Corradi and her team focused on getting trash off the streets and out of the city’s waste stream.

In Somerville, Mass., a city of about 80,000, officials are using a new technology, called SMART Boxes, to reduce the rat population. The above-ground boxes trap rats and electrocute them but pose no risk to humans or pets, offering a safe alternative to poison and other traditional bait.

Colin Zeigler, Somerville’s environmental health coordinator, said the boxes are appealing in part because they collect data and send it to city officials wirelessly so they can look at trends.

Meanwhile in Chicago, city leaders haven’t announced a plan to address the rat complaints or even acknowledged there’s a problem, but the inspector general's office agreed to audit the Department of Rodent Control in January after it “received multiple complaints about the efficiency and effectiveness of the city’s rat abatement program,” according to the office's annual plan. The audit will examine response times to rat complaints and determine whether rodent control’s services are equitable and follow best practices.

The Bureau of Rodent Control has blown its stated goal of responding to each 311 complaint within five days in each of the last two years, according to an analysis of 311 data. It took more than 8 1/2 days to close out the median complaint last year and 10 days the year before, with some West and South side neighborhoods such as North Lawndale and Washington Heights taking more than two weeks to get complaints closed in recent years. At the same time, staffing at the bureau is down about a quarter of its employees since 2019, city records show. A rodent control spokesperson suggested that the drop isn’t that great, noting, among other reasons, that some employees were inactive or on leave for part of that time.

Geraldine Powell, a laborer with the bureau who retired last year, said the surge in complaints combined with the staffing shortages have stretched the city’s response times.

“You do as much as you can in the hours you have,” she said.

https://illinoisanswers.org/2023/08/31/why-chicago-is-losing-the-war-on-rats/

Last edited:
NYC exterminators' new weapon has eliminated nearly 100% of rats from over 100 burrows — and they already have their next targets mapped out
Kelsey Vlamis, Jenny McGrath, and Maiya Focht | Nov 1, 2023

65403da00487ff031cb2a7eb

New York City officials have found a new way to kill rats that has all but eliminated a rat population on one Upper East Side street.

A city council member, Julie Menin, told Gothamist the method had successfully eliminated more than 100 rat burrows on a section of East 86th Street since the effort was launched last year. The strategy involves pumping carbon monoxide directly into the rat burrows that are found in sidewalk tree beds.

"The method demonstrated an impressive eradication rate of nearly 100% in the tree pits where it was applied," Gothamist quoted Menin's office saying in a release.

Menin said the strategy was first used on the East 86th Street corridor because of the high number of complaints about rats in the area, in part because of all the retail shops and trash that is left out.

"It was bad here, man," Ibrahim Asmal, a 53-year-old merchant who sells newspapers and candy on the street, told the New York Daily News earlier this year, adding that rats would often get into his products. "When they get in, they bite things. And then you have to throw things out."

The outlet reported that the city's initial response, setting out black poison-bait boxes, didn't work out, and some of the rats even moved into the boxes. Eventually, the outlet added, Menin allocated $10,000 to hire an exterminator named Matt Deodato, the owner of Urban Pest Management, who's been referred to as "Matt the Rat Killer."

The new method is very quick and effective

Deodato uses the carbon-monoxide method to suffocate the rats with the help of a machine called BurrowRX, which costs about $3,000.

"It's very quick," Deodato told Insider. "It's effective."

He estimated that since starting to use the carbon-monoxide method, he'd killed thousands of rats across the city. Some are expected to wander out of their burrow and die on the street, but Deodato said: "Lord knows how many were still underground, dead. So the numbers are pretty high."

Next stop, East 75th Street

6542810936d588dc55c82114

Gothamist reported that Menin had since set aside $30,000 to fund the carbon-monoxide technique. "This is not the panacea that's going to solve all of New York City's rat problems, but it's a very effective tool for the tree pit issue," she said. The program is set to expand to other areas where there are a lot of complaints, including the area of East 75th Street between Second and Third Avenues.

After vowing to address New York City's rat issue, Mayor Eric Adams appointed a rat czar earlier this year. In addition to the carbon monoxide method, the city has also tried spring traps, poisons, and rat birth control.

People still have a responsibility to make changes to keep rats out

6542822c36d588dc55c82377

Some rat researchers have said the city should focus more on human behavior, including improving waste-disposal methods.

Deodato agreed that people had to make changes after he visited, including investing in better garbage pails and installing mesh in places where the rats burrowed. "We show them a whole bunch of different systems that they can use to stop the rats from reemerging or re-burrowing," he said.

If you eliminate their food supply and a place for them to make their home, Deodato says, "you eliminate the rat."

https://www.businessinsider.com/nyc...ly-successful-expanding-new-areas-2023-10?amp

NYC exterminators' new weapon has eliminated nearly 100% of rats from over 100 burrows — and they already have their next targets mapped out
Kelsey Vlamis, Jenny McGrath, and Maiya Focht | Nov 1, 2023

65403da00487ff031cb2a7eb

New York City officials have found a new way to kill rats that has all but eliminated a rat population on one Upper East Side street.

A city council member, Julie Menin, told Gothamist the method had successfully eliminated more than 100 rat burrows on a section of East 86th Street since the effort was launched last year. The strategy involves pumping carbon monoxide directly into the rat burrows that are found in sidewalk tree beds.

"The method demonstrated an impressive eradication rate of nearly 100% in the tree pits where it was applied," Gothamist quoted Menin's office saying in a release.

Menin said the strategy was first used on the East 86th Street corridor because of the high number of complaints about rats in the area, in part because of all the retail shops and trash that is left out.

"It was bad here, man," Ibrahim Asmal, a 53-year-old merchant who sells newspapers and candy on the street, told the New York Daily News earlier this year, adding that rats would often get into his products. "When they get in, they bite things. And then you have to throw things out."

The outlet reported that the city's initial response, setting out black poison-bait boxes, didn't work out, and some of the rats even moved into the boxes. Eventually, the outlet added, Menin allocated $10,000 to hire an exterminator named Matt Deodato, the owner of Urban Pest Management, who's been referred to as "Matt the Rat Killer."

The new method is very quick and effective

Deodato uses the carbon-monoxide method to suffocate the rats with the help of a machine called BurrowRX, which costs about $3,000.

"It's very quick," Deodato told Insider. "It's effective."

He estimated that since starting to use the carbon-monoxide method, he'd killed thousands of rats across the city. Some are expected to wander out of their burrow and die on the street, but Deodato said: "Lord knows how many were still underground, dead. So the numbers are pretty high."

Next stop, East 75th Street

6542810936d588dc55c82114

Gothamist reported that Menin had since set aside $30,000 to fund the carbon-monoxide technique. "This is not the panacea that's going to solve all of New York City's rat problems, but it's a very effective tool for the tree pit issue," she said. The program is set to expand to other areas where there are a lot of complaints, including the area of East 75th Street between Second and Third Avenues.

After vowing to address New York City's rat issue, Mayor Eric Adams appointed a rat czar earlier this year. In addition to the carbon monoxide method, the city has also tried spring traps, poisons, and rat birth control.

People still have a responsibility to make changes to keep rats out

6542822c36d588dc55c82377

Some rat researchers have said the city should focus more on human behavior, including improving waste-disposal methods.

Deodato agreed that people had to make changes after he visited, including investing in better garbage pails and installing mesh in places where the rats burrowed. "We show them a whole bunch of different systems that they can use to stop the rats from reemerging or re-burrowing," he said.

If you eliminate their food supply and a place for them to make their home, Deodato says, "you eliminate the rat."

https://www.businessinsider.com/nyc...ly-successful-expanding-new-areas-2023-10?amp

ai-generated-8105386_1280.jpg

Lol my block has several resident stray cats. Almost never see rats in the vicinity of my apartment, even though the neighborhood is full of them.

This is how the Walking Dead started.

Yeah fuck rats

My question is what about the people living in the tunnels?

Got quite a few in my neighborhood now. Had to kill a few in my garage recently.

From what the old timers were saying, the rats were never an issue in the neighborhood until this fucking horder that lived at the end of the street let her house and property go to shit and they showed up and multiplied exponentially. Neighbors were even saying that they were in the house, chewing huge holes in the floors. She's been gone for a couple years and the property was cleaned up... but were still stuck with the aftermath.

lol @ thinking you can exterminate rats.

next up - campaign for the eradication of masturbation.

I managed it with a very local infestation. 20 years, never seen a rat in my garden despite maintaining 3 bird feeders.

Suddenly rats started appearing a couple of years ago, eating the scraps beneath the feeders and leaving dead mice all over the place. In my attic lives an old 1980s air-rifle, bought for plinking when I was a teenager. An air arms Jackal, the least politically correct design imaginable. Never been shot in anger.

531313_10150668661616065_637571064_9456347_1419882510_n.jpg

A few evenings sat out in the garden with a red light aimed on their spots, and they were all gone.

I got one of those humane capture traps and was able to relocate a bunch mouse-sided ratlets with it, but the big ones were too smart to go in it. Extreme violence was the only answer. There was one giant one - the moby dick mother rat - who was so much smarter than all the others. She witnessed quite a few of her compatriots demise, always staying back, hiding in the bushes. Had a couple of dead center shots miss on her, I think she was matrixing the pellets.

Eventually I got her, and after that... the colony dispersed. I've only seen one in the last 2-3 years (which I killed) and the mice came back, signalling the danger is gone. The old lady next door treats me like Superman after I told her what I did, which is nice.

Sounds effective but they’ve gotta be careful not to misuse a carbon monoxide machine. Sounds like it could be dangerous

I heard the canary died, but it was due to natural causes. So keep it up!

Back