Locked Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Transformers: The Last Knight (2017)

Transformers_The_Last_Knight_poster.jpg

Just when you thought the Transformers film franchise couldn't get any worse, Paramount Pictures goes and releases "Transformers: The Last Knight." It was pretty much a shitfest from start to finish.

2/10 - "F"

Last edited:
Geostorm
I probably wouldn't have minded this so much if there'd been more action / disaster footage. It just seemed to mostly take place in board-rooms and in space, there wasn't a massive amount of special effects and actual shit kicking off. If it'd delivered more of the latter, I'd have considered it a harmless,, brainless action movie but as it was, it was just bland.
5/10

Blindspotting - A buddy story that has real charm. More specifically, the two main characters and their relationship. It's has some genuine humor in it. All and all, you root for the two guys, hoping they break through the barriers of race and self identity. I'd watch it again. 8/10

Last edited by a moderator:
last three.

antman and the wasp - meh - 5
incredibles 2 - meh - 5
upgrade - eh - 6

Table 19. Dumb boring and completely forgets its supposed to be a comedy 1/2 way through-4/10

Only God Forgives. Pretensious and boring. How you can make a movie about murder, drugs and a crazy ass cop into this boring shit?! 3/10

The First Purge.

One of the worst films I've seen at the cinema - it's joined the 1/10 club.

Dire.

He Wont Get Far On Foot - An alcoholic Joaquin in a wheelchair, a gay Jonah Hill as AA jesus, and partyboy/cook Jack Black dramady. Directed by Gus Van Sant, so you know it likes apples. It's also sad. 8.5/10

Dead on Arrival - 6/10

A remake of the 1949 movie D.O.A. starring Edmond O'Brien.

Dragonlord’s Review of MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - FALLOUT (No Spoilers)

Bottom Line: Doesn’t live up to the hype but worth it enough to see for the impressive action, cool stunts and the mustache that killed Justice League.

bYiPN66.jpg

Christopher McQuarrie’s Mission: Impossible – Fallout has been getting rave reviews from critics for the past few weeks. Although I have avoided reading the reviews, I can’t help notice the buzz and excitement surrounding the sixth installment. After seeing the movie, it doesn’t live up to the hype for me but it’s still a pretty good action flick.

This time around Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) and his IMF team have to stop a shadow terrorist group known as the Apostles from getting their hands on components that would complete their building of three nuclear bombs. The IMF mission goes awry and the CIA has to send one of their best assassins (Henry Cavill) to babysit Ethan and complete their objectives.

Reteaming for the third time on Fallout, Cruise and McQuarrie make for a great team with the iconic star performing those breathtaking death-defying stunts and the director’s penchant for gritty, practical action. The action is good (but falls short of greatness), the scenery and landscapes are gorgeous and the stunts are incredible. The problem is the story and the plot are not interesting or engaging enough to give the action a more satisfying oomph. At times it feels like the movie was reverse-engineered with the big action set pieces created first and then the story was written later to justify those action scenes.

Among the memorable action scenes are the HALO jump (very impressive but could have been more thrilling), the bathroom brawl (my personal favorite), the Paris motorcycle chase (superbly done), the extended foot chase (one of the best Tom Cruise running movie moments), and the helicopter battle (so-so).

Part of the problem with Fallout is a lack of clear main villain during most of the movie with the IMF going up against a shadowy group with faceless goons and no clear figurehead for two-thirds of the film. The weakest M:I villain among the franchise – Solomon Kane (Sean Harris) – is back but is disappointingly now lethargic and lackadaisical. Vanessa Kirby as the black arms dealer White Widow was effectively enthralling and I hope to see more of her in future sequels.

One of the best things about Rogue Nation was the introduction of Ilsa Faust (Rebecca Ferguson). In Fallout, Ilsa is still a cool, magnetic character and the subtle romance between Ethan and her continues to be explored (I badly want them to be shipped together). The addition of August Walker (Henry Cavill) had great potential and the rivalry and friction between Ethan and him was initially fun but they disappointingly dropped it too early in the movie. But at least we finally get to see the much-talked-about mustache that destroyed the Justice League movie.

They ruined the fun by revealing too early in the film that Walker was a traitor. But I have a suspicion they did that so that “gotcha” moment when he was found out would have more impact.

A few musings on the film: Benji (Simon Pegg) and Luther (Ving Rhames) are also back and while Benji has merit as a comic relief, Luther adds nothing of great value to the film, except for being a hostage… twice. The score had some mix of Hans Zimmer, Sicario and The Firm. The shot of Ilsa riding a bike and passing through the row of columns was simply amazing. It was cool seeing Tom Cruise in the night club going through sardines of ravers which reminded me of his other film Collateral. I wished they would bring back Maggie Q.

But as hype goes, Mission: Impossible – Fallout didn’t live up to expectations for me. It’s not even in my top 3 M:I films. The story/plot is kinda meh but the action and stuntwork are incredible. It would be nice to see some new blood in the next M:I sequel, bring in a new IMF team surrounding Ethan and some interesting actors to play them just to shake off the potential staleness. While they’re at it, try to come up with a standalone-ish sequel with a fun mission that doesn’t try to be too serious and not a direct continuation of the previous films.

Rating: 7/10 or 7.5/10

Been off for last two weeks and been trying to wath as much new stuff as possible,

Midnight Special - 8/10

Great lil sci-fi story involving a boy with special abilities, car chases, gun violence, superb acting. I really had no clue what to expect as I just saw the Netflix cover art and was like “aight this’ll do”

Movies crazy good, great visuals, style, story structure, movie was an unexpected surprise!

Calibre - 10/10

I put this on cause it starred the blond pilot from Dunkirk, didnt really know what to expect. Style and shots are gorgeous, the forests of scotland look incredible, the acting and screenwriting is superb!

The story itself is pretty heavy and pretty shocking but tackled in a very VERY realistic way. Throughout the suspense of the film I was waiting for the “oh fuck off” moment where the movie crosses the line of believability, but it never happened.

A phenomenal slow burn, akin to a Jeremy Saulnier or Derek Cianfrance film. Very polished script that made this a very good thriller

War For the Planet of the Apes - 9/10

This movie made me upset and sad for a fucking cgi gorilla diving on a bayonet for anothwr CGI gorilla... what the fuck...

I wanted to see this in theatres but didnt and sort of forgot to watch it. But shit this movies story and performances and cgi are honestly the best of the past year...im actually offensed it didnt win an oscar because the movie looks fucking incredible.

The story is very heavy, more morally complex than the last two movies combined, incredibly strong performance from Serkis who once again gets dicked by the academy because “duh the computers did all the work”

My one gripe about this movie that makes it a 9 instead of a 10. And absolutely no one will agree because no one will remember, but the musical score for this movie is terrible. And undersells a lot of the intensity and emotional weight of a lot of scenes. For example the horseback chase felt like a plugin loop stolen from the lord of the rings movies. And the action scenes had this awkward horn arrangement that made it feel like we should be watching moments of comedy. It was actually quitte baffling how badly the score fucked with my perception of the film. If you want another example of score fucking with your perception of a movies tone

Go watch The Last Jedi, specifically the scene where Rose first meets Finn and tazes him for her perceiving him to be a traitor. The music cue for the moment she tazes him would imply almost like she was from the empire and about to kill him for good, when in reality the tone and scene is shot and edited like it ahould he a moment of physical comedy, ESPECIALLY when the following scene where he wakes up is ALSO played up like its a comedy. It stifles how you perceive a movies tonw and scenes if the shots tell you One thing but the music tells you something completely contradictory

Anyways film ranting over, swap that score to something more competent and War is a masterpiece of film work from an otherwise pretty standard blockbuster director

SORRY TO BOTHER YOU

...might literally be terrible.

Ant Man and the Wasp. It was a fun and funny superhero romp that I found entertaining. It delivered what I expected after having seen and enjoyed the first Ant Man. The cut scene after the movie had me saying "Oh shit!!!!!". Good stuff, and definitely safe and fun entertainment for young kids and adults alike. Great popcorn flick for the summer.

8.5 / 10

Black Panther 5.5/10
Super over-rated

I wondered if I was the only person who thought it was overrated. I liked it, but would give it a 7 / 10 at most and have both Ant Man movies and Guardian of the Galaxy movies ranked above it.

The Delinquent Season. Relationship drama with a mesmerising turn from Catherine Walker. 8/10.

Dragonlord’s Review of MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - FALLOUT (No Spoilers)

Bottom Line: Doesn’t live up to the hype but worth it enough to see for the impressive action, cool stunts and the mustache that killed Justice League.

bYiPN66.jpg

Christopher McQuarrie’s Mission: Impossible – Fallout has been getting rave reviews from critics for the past few weeks. Although I have avoided reading the reviews, I can’t help notice the buzz and excitement surrounding the sixth installment. After seeing the movie, it doesn’t live up to the hype for me but it’s still a pretty good action flick.

This time around Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) and his IMF team have to stop a shadow terrorist group known as the Apostles from getting their hands on components that would complete their building of three nuclear bombs. The IMF mission goes awry and the CIA has to send one of their best assassins (Henry Cavill) to babysit Ethan and complete their objectives.

Reteaming for the third time on Fallout, Cruise and McQuarrie make for a great team with the iconic star performing those breathtaking death-defying stunts and the director’s penchant for gritty, practical action. The action is good (but falls short of greatness), the scenery and landscapes are gorgeous and the stunts are incredible. The problem is the story and the plot are not interesting or engaging enough to give the action a more satisfying oomph. At times it feels like the movie was reverse-engineered with the big action set pieces created first and then the story was written later to justify those action scenes.

Among the memorable action scenes are the HALO jump (very impressive but could have been more thrilling), the bathroom brawl (my personal favorite), the Paris motorcycle chase (superbly done), the extended foot chase (one of the best Tom Cruise running movie moments), and the helicopter battle (so-so).

Part of the problem with Fallout is a lack of clear main villain during most of the movie with the IMF going up against a shadowy group with faceless goons and no clear figurehead for two-thirds of the film. The weakest M:I villain among the franchise – Solomon Kane (Sean Harris) – is back but is disappointingly now lethargic and lackadaisical. Vanessa Kirby as the black arms dealer White Widow was effectively enthralling and I hope to see more of her in future sequels.

One of the best things about Rogue Nation was the introduction of Ilsa Faust (Rebecca Ferguson). In Fallout, Ilsa is still a cool, magnetic character and the subtle romance between Ethan and her continues to be explored (I badly want them to be shipped together). The addition of August Walker (Henry Cavill) had great potential and the rivalry and friction between Ethan and him was initially fun but they disappointingly dropped it too early in the movie. But at least we finally get to see the much-talked-about mustache that destroyed the Justice League movie.

They ruined the fun by revealing too early in the film that Walker was a traitor. But I have a suspicion they did that so that “gotcha” moment when he was found out would have more impact.

A few musings on the film: Benji (Simon Pegg) and Luther (Ving Rhames) are also back and while Benji has merit as a comic relief, Luther adds nothing of great value to the film, except for being a hostage… twice. The score had some mix of Hans Zimmer, Sicario and The Firm. The shot of Ilsa riding a bike and passing through the row of columns was simply amazing. It was cool seeing Tom Cruise in the night club going through sardines of ravers which reminded me of his other film Collateral. I wished they would bring back Maggie Q.

But as hype goes, Mission: Impossible – Fallout didn’t live up to expectations for me. It’s not even in my top 3 M:I films. The story/plot is kinda meh but the action and stuntwork are incredible. It would be nice to see some new blood in the next M:I sequel, bring in a new IMF team surrounding Ethan and some interesting actors to play them just to shake off the potential staleness. While they’re at it, try to come up with a standalone-ish sequel with a fun mission that doesn’t try to be too serious and not a direct continuation of the previous films.

Rating: 7/10 or 7.5/10

Honestly that's been par for the course with Mission Impossible in recent films for me, generally their praised massively and generally I enjoyed them but not to nearly the degree of the praise.

Mission Impossible: Fallout

The story isn't as laced with deception and trickery as much as the recent installments, but it does twist like the others with it's fair share of trickery, but just not as much. What it lacks in deception it whole heartedly makes up for in action. It should have been called Mission Impossible: Chasing People. Because that's what the movie was. One impressive chase after another. God, Tom Cruise is doing some great stunt work in this. It's really impressive on a technical and choreographed level, something all I ever expect out of a MI movie. Theres spy work, but the action is always so much fun. The emotional story on the other hand, it's a bit bland, but thats the waffle cone that surrounds this delicious sundae. 7/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back