Locked Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teen titans go the movie.
8.5/10

Never laughed so hard in a kids cartoon movie in my life. Lots of action, even more laughs with a hilarious Cameo by Stan Lee. Definitely enjoyed it and would go back to watch it again.

Black Panther (2018)
Good actually, not a big comic book movie fan per se but I enjoyed it. Liked the setting, storyline was alright, action decent enough.
7/10

Rampage - 6.5/10 Had fun with this movie, huge monsters, the Rock running around with god mode on and destruction everywhere. The story is minimal and often made convenient to push the plot forward but I knew what I was getting into and it was a good popcorn flick.

The Equalizer 2 - Antoine Fuqua makes cookie cutter movies now. I was highly disappointed with Magnificent 7, and Olympus was fallen, well lets not talk about that. In this one Denzel is still invincible but drives a Lyft for the first 20 minutes. The rest is him getting betrayed and stalking down his prey with a vengeance. Theres still something to be gotten out of this movie, it did have a heart, and the fights were fun. The pay off has been done before in every other We Let Our Most Dangerous Weapon on The Loose kind of movie. Not mad that I saw it, and not thrilled that I've seen it either. 6/10

Baywatch (2017)

Baywatch_poster.jpg

While the actors were certainly playing their own incarnations of the characters, in many ways this film was true to the spirit of the original show (with some added comedy). If you enjoy the original show, you will probably enjoy this. I obviously watched this show when I was in junior high, but never really for the writing or acting, so I was kind of lukewarm on this film.

6/10 - "C+"

The Incredibles 2 - I really should have gone to see this on more sleep. Of what I saw, it holds up in the Pixar library, even for a sequel. It's very adult for a family movie, so I appreciate it more. I kind of fell asleep for the best 20 minutes of the third act. Not the movie's fault, but I wished I stayed up for more. The ending was great, again, of what I saw of it. 7.5/10

Kingsman: The Golden Circle - I saw it in the theaters last fall and thought it was dreadful. Now that I've rewatched it on HBO... I kind of like it. I'm seeing it for what it is. A movie that doesn't stop heightening unpredictability and impossible outcomes. Each scene will out-do the last, no matter what, so by the time it ends, you don't believe a goddamn thing that's happening. That's what pissed me off originally, but after watching it again, I get it. It's trying ridiculously hard to be over the top in a silly way, and I enjoyed it this time. The whole Elton John angle was my favorite part, and I liked a lot more this time around. Seeing a depressed Elton John in a feather jumpsuit is pretty damn funny. The music works well for the fusion of British and Southern cultures, and helps reflect the new addition of American character personalities in their introductory scenes. I'm giving it more slack. 7/10

Last edited by a moderator:
A quiet place 5/10. Really kind of boring and lots of plot holes.

Extinction (2018) - 7/10

This is the new Netflix movie with Michael Pena and Lizzy Caplan. Overall, I liked it. It had a pretty cool twist and some decent action/suspense as well. It’s weird seeing Pena so serious but he did a pretty good job. Caplan was nice to look at. I liked the futuristic look and feel of everything. If you are into sci-fi, definitely worth the watch.

Ex Machina (2014) - 8/10

For some reason, I never got around to watching this movie. Decided to put it on after Extinction and very glad I did. This one was very thought provoking and dialogue driven, but also had some creepy/suspenseful parts as well. Oscar Isaac plays the CEO billionaire in this movie and did a great job. The other main character is the dorky red head dude from Star Wars, who did a decent job. Something about him was sort of annoying to me but he was fine overall. Alicia Vikander stole the show - she’s a beaut to look at. Overall, really enjoyed the movie and really loved the last 30 minutes. Definitely recommend.

Calibre - 10/10

I put this on cause it starred the blond pilot from Dunkirk, didnt really know what to expect. Style and shots are gorgeous, the forests of scotland look incredible, the acting and screenwriting is superb!

The story itself is pretty heavy and pretty shocking but tackled in a very VERY realistic way. Throughout the suspense of the film I was waiting for the “oh fuck off” moment where the movie crosses the line of believability, but it never happened.

A phenomenal slow burn, akin to a Jeremy Saulnier or Derek Cianfrance film. Very polished script that made this a very good thriller

Liked the movie, but the ending kind of bugged me.

So, they get the guy to kill his friend as a punishment. Cool swerve, but then I thought about it. The initial reason they didn't kill the first guy, was because of the attention it would bring from the cops. That's pretty much how the reasonable guy sold it to the goon squad who wanted to kill him right there. Then they end up getting the guy to kill the other, and have to count on him to lie to the cops about his friend, and never speak of it again...ever.

If it was that easy to throw the cops off the scent, why were they worried about killing either of them? Why all the fuss? They could've killed them both, got rid of the bodies and the car, told the cops they left, and then just shut the fuck up about the whole mess. Now they have count on the guy they have no control over, to never ever spill the beans out of guilt. It's such a dumb plan. I'd be paranoid as shit for the rest of my life that this guy, who is god knows where, could break down at any time and go to the cops.

Good movie, though. Just that ending...I don't know. I like it, and I hate it.

Just saw MI: Fallout, 7/10. Fun movie, good acting, solid action but it definitely could have been A LOT shorter.

Liked the movie, but the ending kind of bugged me.

So, they get the guy to kill his friend as a punishment. Cool swerve, but then I thought about it. The initial reason they didn't kill the first guy, was because of the attention it would bring from the cops. That's pretty much how the reasonable guy sold it to the goon squad who wanted to kill him right there. Then they end up getting the guy to kill the other, and have to count on him to lie to the cops about his friend, and never speak of it again...ever.

If it was that easy to throw the cops off the scent, why were they worried about killing either of them? Why all the fuss? They could've killed them both, got rid of the bodies and the car, told the cops they left, and then just shut the fuck up about the whole mess. Now they have count on the guy they have no control over, to never ever spill the beans out of guilt. It's such a dumb plan. I'd be paranoid as shit for the rest of my life that this guy, who is god knows where, could break down at any time and go to the cops.

Good movie, though. Just that ending...I don't know. I like it, and I hate it.

yah i get that

I didnt like it too much either, from the logic of the locals, his friend was expendable as he was a drug addict and a womanizer and the townsmen knew the one had a baby mama and kid on the way and thus would arouse much greater suspicion...easier to believe in his friend dying in a solo hunting accident as oppossed to killing both?

in the reality that the movie established though, it honestly made more sense to let them BOTH go free and then get the local cops to deal with an unfortunate hunting accident...or straight up just get the cops involved and have the cops put both lads in jail for life for the mutilation of bodies, attempt to cover up both an involuntary manslaughter and a homicide.

Because of the movies slowburn I think tackling the latter would've been too difficult to wrap up in a smaller scale film so I get why they had to go with the dark "kill your friend" thing....I actually fully expected him to take the shot and the gun to be empty. thus ruining the two of their lives as they would return home knowing one tried to kill the other to ensure his safety.

The townspeoples solution though legit made no sense in the context of ensuring the least amount of police intervention WHILE ensuring justice...

just calling the cops would have sufficed as it would have brought justice to a heinous crime/accident and not really have done much to their small towns dwindling populace/dying existence

Mission Impossible - Fallout

8.5/10. Very good movie. Put my dislike for Cruise and took it for what it was. A long movie but went by surprisingly fast. Decent acting and twists. White widow is {<tongue}

Saw it in IMAX and it was worth it - the helicopter scene kinda made me queasy.

Won't You Be My Neighbor? - Do you have a heart? Well don't expect to see this without a small weep session or 2. If you've ever seen Mr. Rogers, and was a fan as a child, you'll love it. He's the type of guy I think everyone secretly wishes you had in your family, and this movie makes it more true. What he did for PBS and children's television goes unnoticed, and isn't talked about. He is the sole reason why there is still educational children's programming, and the whole channel of PBS. 8.5/10

The Spy Who Dumped Me - Time off from work has got me seeing everything. Kate McKinnon is the person who saves this movie. If it wasn't for her, it'd be a half-assed comedy with no punchlines. She holds this movie together and keeps your attention. Everything else is a cookie-cutter spy parody, and mostly unoriginal, but when McKinnon opens her mouth, she changes everything. Great use of a best friend. 6.5/10

Eyes Wide Shut - This movie never jumped out to me before, even with the Kubrick banner. I finally watched it, and for a two and a half hour movie--what--three things happen? For such a long film, it actually didn't go by slowly at all, but still not much happened. Tom Cruise gets the big reveal from his wife, meets up with a prostitute, meets friend in bar, rents costume, goes to secret society, goes home to reveal what happened to his wife, returns costume for pervy reveal, returns to prostitute for sad reveal, and proceeds to get the ultimate reveal in his boss's office. Thats it. I don't know what to say about this movie other than, everyone lies to you? Is that the point of the title? Tom's eyes were open to all the bad surrounding him, but he never noticed it, and now he's finally seeing it after he got a slice of reality? I didn't have an opinion after it was complete. What the fuck am I supposed to feel? I cared about no one. Tom Cruise was barely likable. Even when he found out his wife was cheating on him, he somehow gave an air of shit bag in every scene, like he was already part of the shitty elite. Fuck, I hate not fully enjoying Kubrick movies (Barry Lyndon), but I just don't know how to enjoy this. I tried. 5.5/10

Blackkklansman - Funny in a lot of scenes, uncomfortably racist in others. Like Spike Lee Movies do, it says a message. This is a pretty big one, so the humor is a little unsettling sometimes because it's an obvious contrast to the horrible things happening in it. Main character is great, Kylo ain't too bad, and overall the movie was great. The beginning is pretty unsettling, and It suffered from focus issues a few times. That was distracting. 8/10

Slender Man (2018) - 1/10

It’s been a long time since I saw a movie where I literally couldn’t find one thing I liked about it, but this shit show was just so unbearably bad that I hardly made it through the whole thing. Dull uninteresting characters, a clunky all over the place pace, and c level digital effects. Found it hard to believe this is a wide release movie.

The Meg - Hear me out, I liked it. It was pretty much Jaws meets The Fast and Furious. I wouldn't even compare it to any of those Sci-fi channel megashark and sharknado movies. It's an actual action movie with perfectly placed Fast and Furious "holy shit" moments. Lots of fun to be had through the whole thing. Statham will Statham. 7/10

A Fish Called Wanda. I was surprised how well this has aged. I probably shouldn't have been since it was written by John Cleese and has an all star cast with him, Michael Palin, Kevin Kline and Jamie Lee Curtis. Kline steals the film as Otto the idiot hitman, but Palin has some great scenes as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back