Randy Couture vs Pedro Rizzo (robbery)

One of the greatest fights of all time.

Amazing wrestling and GNP from Randy early and beautiful low kicks and Muay Thai from Rizzo down the stretch. Unbelievable cardio and toughness shown by both fighters. Today's Heavyweights and Light Heavyweights could only dream of putting on a performance like that.

Here is a link to the fight

https://m.ok.ru/dk?st.cmd=moviePlay...859271&st.hls=on&_prevCmd=movieLayer&tkn=8791

Agree. That performance would put most of the current HWs to shame.

New breed LOL

Yeah, I agree Rizzo probably should have won 48-47, fight was fantastic.

Luckily they did the right thing and did the rematch right away.

Imagine this fight with pride rules. We may have witnessed the first win via decapitation.

And then Couture went to go on to record a JO vid.

The End.

No robbery at all. Randy was the clear winner, but it was a very, very tough fight. Randy won 3 rounds, Rizzo won 2. Both fighters won a round 10-8.

Randy smashed Rizzo, and was very close to finishing it in the very first rround. Rizzo beat the shit out of him in the second. Legendary fight.

And im still baffled how Carlos tapped out Pat with that bullchit choke.
If I recall correctly, Pat's neck was pretty fucked up already, so it wouldn't surprise me if he was in a shit ton of pain and thought he reinjured it. Unexpected either way.

Yeah, I know those legkicks did fuck Randy's legs up real bad, haven't seen the fight in recent years. But I think the judges didn't really consider legkicks that impactful for the longest time.

It would be nice if the people screaming "robbery!" actually provided specifics on which rounds they felt Rizzo won, and why? I gave a detailed description of why Randy won on the last page.

Rizzo has nobody to blame but himself, he was content to stare a fighters than pushing any type action when clearly had an advantage.

Rizzo was my fav HW fighter at the time but fuck he was frustrating to watch

As someone else who adored Rizzo back then, this is sadly true. As good as his career was, it could have been even better if he had proper coaching/training. He would very frequently shoot himself in the foot, or make awful decisions during his fights.

If you count all the BS Couture should have a BJ Penn bum type of record. Slightly above 0.500

I like you from the betting subforum, but this statement is utterly wrong.

For one, Couture was absolutely screwed in the Mikhail Iluokhine fight. Like, outright robbed by a moronic referee decision where they restarted in a completely different position than they were in near the ropes.

On the flip side, yes, Couture had a genuinely undeserved decision victory against Vera. So that would balance out in terms of his win-loss record.

Yeah, I know those legkicks did fuck Randy's legs up real bad, haven't seen the fight in recent years. But I think the judges didn't really consider legkicks that impactful for the longest time.

Not really. Leg kicks were absolutely considered impactful even then, or else neither Maurice Smith nor Pedro Rizzo would have been given decision victories against Mark Coleman.

If I remember:
R1- Randy clearly.....close to a 10-8 (can’t remember if they were around at the time)
R2- Rizzo clearly
R3- Randy edges it
R4- Rizzo, but can see the unitiated giving it to Randy
R5- Rizzo

Never thought of it as a robbery per se, but thought it was clearly 3-2 to Rizzo. I’m guessing R4 was the swing round.

Are judges scorecards available anywhere?
10-8 were like unicorns back in the days, Rd 1 was realistically not one.

The fight was 3-2 Hizzo.

Rizzo mauled the last round, but that didn't win the fight. Could have gone either way.
The rematch validated the first fight.
Rematch validated nuthin... Different gameplans,preparations, types of [naggin´] injuries...

2 different fights

Doesn't Randy talk about having a permanent divot in his leg from that fight.

Rizzo, best HW to never win a belt, terrible luck in title fights

It would be nice if the people screaming "robbery!" actually provided specifics on which rounds they felt Rizzo won, and why? I gave a detailed description of why Randy won on the last page.

As someone else who adored Rizzo back then, this is sadly true. As good as his career was, it could have been even better if he had proper coaching/training. He would very frequently shoot himself in the foot, or make awful decisions during his fights.

I like you from the betting subforum, but this statement is utterly wrong.

For one, Couture was absolutely screwed in the Mikhail Iluokhine fight. Like, outright robbed by a moronic referee decision where they restarted in a completely different position than they were in near the ropes.

On the flip side, yes, Couture had a genuinely undeserved decision victory against Vera. So that would balance out in terms of his win-loss record.

Not really. Leg kicks were absolutely considered impactful even then, or else neither Maurice Smith nor Pedro Rizzo would have been given decision victories against Mark Coleman.
No robbery at all. Randy was the clear winner, but it was a very, very tough fight. Randy won 3 rounds, Rizzo won 2. Both fighters won a round 10-8.

Randy smashed Rizzo, and was very close to finishing it in the very first rround. Rizzo beat the shit out of him in the second. Legendary fight.
Not a hobbery, felt it was a 3-2 Hizzo, obviously Rds 3-4 were pretty close.

Rizzo, best HW to never win a belt, terrible luck in title fights

Yes and no. I still feel sad thinking about what could have been with Rizzo's career, and how he burnt out so young (in his late twenties; I'm sure the crazy hard sparring he went through in Brazil didn't help).

At the same time, he absolutely could and should have beaten Randleman and Couture the first time, and that's on his own lack of preparation and fight IQ.

1, 3, 4 Couture. Just finished watching both of their fights again and it was a pretty clear Randy win. Basing your opinions on a fight you haven't seen in over a decade/at all is not the way to go, gang.

Now, in the rematch, I have a real beef with the early stoppage from BJM (which he did ALL THE TIME back in the day). You watch the finishing sequence there and tell me that that would even issue a warning from the refs of today! That fight happened when MMA was still dying and trying to market itself as more than human cockfighting and as a result the general attitude in the UFC was to lean way too far to the safety side of the spectrum, thus severely affecting the true spirit of MMA and the limiting the fighters' chances to recover and persevere. The visual after this fight finished shows Couture walking away and Pedro lying on the canvas a bloody mess (Randy put a pretty good beating on him) but the only reason Pedro was like that was cuz BJM didn't let him up and was arguing with him about why he was right in stopping it for like 5 minutes! Bottom line, it was an early stoppage and I hate early stoppages. That being said, Randy was on fire that night and in all likelihood would have won regardless. Watching him just carry Rizzo over to the fence before the fight ending sequence was a cool moment for me, though.

Back