Randy, Chuck, Tito, Vitor, Ken

Legends of the sports. Randy is for me No.1 for his resume and titles following by Chuck, Tito, Vitor and Ken. Everyone has their pros and cons but they paved the way for modern mma as we know it.

All great fighters that paved the way. But Randy stands out for me, he's got a lot of losses in his career but he kept coming back and defying the odds again and again. One of a kind.

Chuck
Vitor
Randy
Tito
Ken

Chuck had that look, a catchy name and that KO ability. Vitor when came in with the speed and power blew a lot of people away with what they initially saw. With Randy he grew on fans a lot slower before they realized he was damn good.

Last edited:
Do you think Ken was better than those four?
It´s a matter of perspective...

Im actually more interested in the criterias chosen...more than the ranking itself...

The way I see it, when u make such a list, u do not compare Fighter X with Fighter Y,
like how the former would fare with the latter in the cage/ring.

What u do compare is:

1/ The way they dominated the game.

2/ The quality of their opponents.

3/ The innovations they brought to the game.

4/ How many HOFers in the resumé.

5/ Quality wins AND quality losses (= put wins & losses INTO CONTEXT)

6/ Ali´s D2BG (Dared 2 Be Great?)... against heavier opponents.

Obs: this is NOT a head-2-head contest btw 2 fighters from different eras

It´s a matter of perspective...

Im actually more interested in the criterias chosen...more than the ranking itself...

The way I see it, when u make such a list, u do not compare Fighter X with Fighter Y,
like how the former would fare with the latter in the cage/ring.

What u do compare is:

1/ The way they dominated the game.

2/ The quality of their opponents.

3/ The innovations they brought to the game.

4/ How many HOFers in the resumé.

5/ Quality wins AND quality losses (= put wins & losses INTO CONTEXT)

6/ Ali´s D2BG (Dared 2 Be Great?)... against heavier opponents.

Obs: this is NOT a head-2-head contest btw 2 fighters from different eras
I agree.
Where do you rank Ken?

Bro, the 205 division from 2003-2005 was simply the deepest and most talented pool of pure killers. UFC vs Pride with Shogun, Arona, Wandy, Rampage, Liddell, Tito, Couture and Belfort
mauricio-shogun-vs-ricardo-arona-no-pride.jpg

Wanderlei-Silva-vs-Quinton-Jackson-2.jpg

tito-ortiz-chuck-liddell-ufc-66.jpg

20150518095354_BELFORT_X_COUTURE1.JPG

And Pre-horse meat Overeem, LHW Vovchanchyn, Lil Nog, LHW Randleman, LHW Dan Henderson, Sakuraba. Every match up was exciting. Especially when they threw some total can in the ring from time to time.

And Pre-horse meat Overeem, LHW Vovchanchyn, Lil Nog, LHW Randleman, LHW Dan Henderson, Sakuraba. Every match up was exciting. Especially when they threw some total can in the ring from time to time.
You know, the can thing was good, imo.

You got to see the strengths of the real fighter on display, which hyped you up to when they faced another real fighter.

Seeing a fighter fight a chump really cut down on people thinking they were pussies, too. Like nowadays, we are spoiled and think a guy who loses or has his game stifled is a chump, but most people don’t realize how good EVERY guy except Punk is. If we could watch a dude like.... Lombard fight some tough guy, we would see a massacre and then respect the guys who beat Lombard more.

Tough to rank them. All 5 guys are so accomplished

1.Randy: Two belts, beat all of the other guys except Ken (although took two Ls to Chuck)

2. Chuck: Beat Tito twice, beat Vitor, beat Randy twice. Has the best record of the group but Randy's HW success has me rank him higher

3. Tito: Got owned by Chuck and Randy but defended the title 5 times. Beat Vitor and Ken x3.

4. Vitor: Lost to most of these guys but had one hell of a career. His lack of a true title win/reign puts him below the top 3 imo

5. Ken: Pioneer and a legend but the last of the group imo. I'm sure someone will disagree with this because they want to show off that they watched Pancrease but in my opinion he wasn't as great as the others. No shame in that though, it's 5 absolute legends of the sport

That's probably accurate for whole careers, but I'd take Vitor at in his TRTor form over any of the rest by a large margin.

Tough to rank them. All 5 guys are so accomplished

1.Randy: Two belts, beat all of the other guys except Ken (although took two Ls to Chuck)

2. Chuck: Beat Tito twice, beat Vitor, beat Randy twice. Has the best record of the group but Randy's HW success has me rank him higher

3. Tito: Got owned by Chuck and Randy but defended the title 5 times. Beat Vitor and Ken x3.

4. Vitor: Lost to most of these guys but had one hell of a career. His lack of a true title win/reign puts him below the top 3 imo

5. Ken: Pioneer and a legend but the last of the group imo. I'm sure someone will disagree with this because they want to show off that they watched Pancrease but in my opinion he wasn't as great as the others. No shame in that though, it's 5 absolute legends of the sport

While I agree with your list I think the circumstances posed in the topic is unfair to Ken. Ken as a fighter is a generation behind the likes of Chuck , Tito , Victor and when looking at over all legacy, I think he should be more compared with Royce / Tank ect.

Bro, the 205 division from 2003-2005 was simply the deepest and most talented pool of pure killers. UFC vs Pride with Shogun, Arona, Wandy, Rampage, Liddell, Tito, Couture and Belfort
mauricio-shogun-vs-ricardo-arona-no-pride.jpg

Wanderlei-Silva-vs-Quinton-Jackson-2.jpg

tito-ortiz-chuck-liddell-ufc-66.jpg

20150518095354_BELFORT_X_COUTURE1.JPG
Lil' Nog too! Only man to fight fire with fire vs. prime Shogun and not only live to tell the tale but arguably got the better of him.

Hair genetics from best to worst:

Ken Shamrock (Norwood 1 going strong in his mid 50s with very little diffused thinning)

Vitor Belfort (Norwood 2 early 40s, still very solid hairline with no visible breach at the vertex)

Chuck Liddell
(Norwood 3 in late 40s, but very hard to tell with his mohawk style which deserves bonus points. Vertex has not been breached)

Tito Ortiz
(struggling with hair loss in both temple and vertex areas since his late 30s, tried to hide it by bleaching his hair and having buzz cuts, finally shaved it off)

Randy Couture
(visibly balding since his early 20s)

You are obsessed.

UFC01-RoyceXKen-05-400-slomotapout2-sg.gif

Ken Shamrock truly belongs in a separate tier with the likes of other important fighters of the world; Royce Gracie, Antonio Inoki, Cassius Clay, Mike Tyson and Aleksander Karelin. There is no contemporary MMA now if it was not for those in the beginning. Ken wasn’t as well rounded as the other four in all facets of MMA yet he deserves praise for his early contributions and historical significance.

Tito Ortiz (struggling with hair loss in both temple and vertex areas since his late 30s, tried to hide it by bleaching his hair and having buzz cuts, finally shaved it off)

Randy Couture
(visibly balding since his early 20s)

Coming through with the jokes I see.

{<jimmies}

Back