Rand Paul's healthcare plan is 4 pages long. EVERYONE SHOULD READ IT!

It's nice to see Americans taking a constructive and critical look at the pitiful healthcare system in place.
Single payer healthcare for all.

I agree. There is no "market" in medical care.

If competition were allowed, prices would drop. Unfortunately I don't see a way out.

Insurance should only be for extreme circumstances, like heart transplant or some shit. Everything else should be out of pocket.

When people are sick, they can't really shop for healthcare. Do you get estimates? One way to cut costs is to have medical systems that basically become insurance companies eliminating the middleman. Up to 25% of medical costs are billing and collection. Systems where patients purchase contracts directly from medical providers might work if everyone had to purchase coverage.

Systems that provide deductions for medical spending might work for people making over $100,000/year, it doesn't for families making under $50,000/year which is more than 71% of the households in the US.

Removing artificial restraints on insurance competition like the ban on interstate insurance sales will put a downward pressure on premiums.

That part seems like a no brainer for both parties.

the free market should only be an option when it comes to healthcare, a public option is the best solution for the citizens. that way you take the power back from the insurance companies and drug companies, which forces them to bring their prices down

Oh it's bloody hilarious when they say "the system is broken", and then go on to suggest some insane solution that a 6 year old could do a better job of for whatever they just said was broken. I didn't have insurance from after college all the way through my 20s. Only went to the Dr. once during that time, and it's pretty crazy to go to a Dr's office without insurance and ask them how much a visit costs. They have no idea and just kind of look at each other in confusion. There is no market price for anything medical except laser eye surgery.

Interestingly, laser eye surgery has seen large price decreases over the past decade. When costs aren't hidden and competition isn't artificially impeded, it drives prices down. I'm interested in government paying for expensive and non-elective health care for the poor. There is no free market response for that I can see. But as a system for cutting costs and promoting efficiency, nothing compares to competitive markets.

I think government does a lot of good, but never cheaply and never efficiently.

Single payer that prioritizes the capital/ tax paying class -- with a hybrid private option

Everyone will have access, but priority on services and treatment go to people who pay more into it.

Muricans seems to half-ass everything these days. You enacted a half-assed universal healthcare system in the form of Affordable Healthcare Act (Obamacare). Your current administration made another half-assed attempt to replace it with a even more half-assed legislation (American Healthcare Act, aka Ryancare). You end up with broken systems that actually cost more in the end.

Pick a path and commit to it. Either go full single payer universal coverage or go free market.

There're things I like about it, but it does nothing to actually control costs.

Apparently you can't talk about controlling costs in Washington. Even when someone accidentally says Single Payer, they do not bring up cost controls. It is like a verbal land mine that they know is there and they just seem to always walk around it.

Removing artificial restraints on insurance competition like the ban on interstate insurance sales will put a downward pressure on premiums.

That part seems like a no brainer for both parties.

We've gotten to the point where honestly, I think we are approaching the absolute maximum amount of revenue the medical industry can squeeze out of America. Maybe a little more squeeze is possible but they are really close to the practical maximum now.

I am a bit of a pessimist about the whole situation. I'm just seeing a lot of grandstanding by politicians on both sides but they don't really want any changes. The system is close to perfect for them.

Can someone please show me where free markets have ever existed

These libertarians are talking out their arses

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/in...ill_to_re.html

U.S. Rep. Mo Brooks, R-Huntsville, introduced the bill Friday.

"This Act may be cited as the 'Obamacare Repeal Act,'" the bill states.

And the bill uses just one sentence to do it.

"Effective as of Dec. 31, 2017, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is repealed, and the provisions of law amended or repealed by such Act are restored or revived as if such Act had not been enacted," the bill states.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/in...ill_to_re.html

U.S. Rep. Mo Brooks, R-Huntsville, introduced the bill Friday.

"This Act may be cited as the 'Obamacare Repeal Act,'" the bill states.

And the bill uses just one sentence to do it.

"Effective as of Dec. 31, 2017, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is repealed, and the provisions of law amended or repealed by such Act are restored or revived as if such Act had not been enacted," the bill states.

This is totally what the republicans should do

Muricans seems to half-ass everything these days. You enacted a half-assed universal healthcare system in the form of Affordable Healthcare Act (Obamacare). Your current administration made another half-assed attempt to replace it with a even more half-assed legislation (American Healthcare Act, aka Ryancare). You end up with broken systems that actually cost more in the end.

Pick a path and commit to it. Either go full single payer universal coverage or go free market.

Exactly. As Walter White said: "no more half measures."

I got 3 thing healthcare plan: Freemarket + Charity + Governement safety control.

Freemarket, because when companies competing with eachother you will get cheaper and better healthcare.

Charity, because not everyone can afford healthcare. There will charity organizations who will pay their healthcare bills. People love to give to charity.

Government safety control, because the role of the government in my opinion is safety. Safety from foreign enemies, with an army. To protect to country inside the country with an army. That's why it's called defence to defend the country. And it's not called offence to attack other countries. Police/courts/prisons to protect citizens agains criminals. And government safety controls with healthcare/food/environment/traffic etc.

Here's an idea: provide universal basic healthcare and allow the free market to cover supplemental private insurance.

I don't think so. It's the exact opposite of what he was saying on the campaign trail, then he told everyone to watch that Fox show where they called for him to step down.

I honestly think it was about ruining Ryan's political career. The Trump team wanted to make it look like he was giving an effort to appease everyone (Neocons) and let ACA collapse on its own weight. Now premiums will skyrocket and the GOP can do pretty much whatever it wants.

I don't know, just how I see it, could be wrong.

You're wrong about a lot so it seems highly likely you're wrong about this too.

I am not sure why people think that a law being short is a good thing. Especially for healthcare. Healthcare is complicated, there is not some simple solution to it.

I get wanting things to be simple for people to understand it, but then write a laymen version to help the public understand. Laws are complicated, and we should not be dumbing them down just so someone who will not read it whether it is 4 pages or 400 has a slightly better chance to understand.

Back