*Question about Aldo's leg kicks

Max has great hands but he often throws his punches a bit loopy. I'd say Jose Aldo is better at countering with punches, throwing straight punches and better at utilizing reach. Jose Aldo also has a 70in reach, Max allegedly has a 69.5in reach.

This fight is so interesting. I'd say Aldo is the faster fighter with better reactionary skills, he's the better counter striker too. Max Holloway is more of a pressure fighter so this is going to be a clash of styles. This fight and Cody vs TJ are just....I mean, the level of skill is insane.

Good point, plus if you watch some of Max's old fights, he's been very susceptible to the low kick. I'm pretty sure I remember Aldo mentioning using his kicks in this fight, but I can't be certain.

Jose Aldo has been adjusting his game over the years since he his cardio was exploited by Mark Hominick. When Jose Aldo was rising through the ranks he was an offensive cyclone constantly showcasing some of the best low kicks and knee strikes in the world. Since the Hominick fight Aldo's output has slowed, he's become more defensively aware and most notably he throws his kicks and knees a lot less since they are more high energy techniques.

It's actually impressive, Jose Aldo evolved his game to adapt to 5 rounds extremely well. You rarely see fighters at such a high level after all those years of training and competing be able to effectively change their game. Aldo's amazing.

Did you actually see his fight against Hominick, people were saying he was gassing, as he ended up on bottom in the fifth. The guy was sick the day before, and even then at the end and they both did push ups,and Aldo was almost smiling. I thought Aldo cruised the last round after schooling Hominick for 4 rounds,leaving him almost deformed, and Aldo has often eased up when easily coasting first few rounds. Who knows why he reduced leg kicks? Maybe he just want to go to ground anymore. I have to say his take down defence is a thing of beauty.

Did you actually see his fight against Hominick, people were saying he was gassing, as he ended up on bottom in the fifth. The guy was sick the day before, and even then at the end and they both did push ups,and Aldo was almost smiling. I thought Aldo cruised the last round after schooling Hominick for 4 rounds,leaving him almost deformed, and Aldo has often eased up when easily coasting first few rounds. Who knows why he reduced leg kicks? Maybe he just want to go to ground anymore. I have to say his take down defence is a thing of beauty.

I mean maybe he does not want to go to ground. sorry

Good point, plus if you watch some of Max's old fights, he's been very susceptible to the low kick. I'm pretty sure I remember Aldo mentioning using his kicks in this fight, but I can't be certain.

People for some reason don't think of Holloway as a kicker but in recent years he kicks a lot more often than Aldo does....He hurt Pettis with a body kick, he dropped Bermudez with a spinning hook kick, he clipped Conor with a head kick, he dropped Will Chope with a turning side kick...He kicks often, he has a fairly well rounded and skilled kicking game.

Everybody seem to believe and expect, when predicting an Aldo's fight outcome, that he's going to rip his opponents leg, wear him, take his mobility, using his nasty low kicks.

Said that, question is:
Why Aldo barely used his leg kicks against Frankie Edgar? I mean, his first leg kick was a single one (hard by the way) at the end of the 3rd round!!

Why he didn't used more leg kicks against a fighter like Edgar (who's fight game is based on his footwork)?

Against Holloway, he would fight just as a counter puncher?
Frankie would have taken him down so he avoided taking a chance

Because in the first Aldo/Edgar fight, Frankie started timing Aldo's leg kicks with counters and takedowns:

Aldo-Edgar-takedown.gif

Frankie has the most stifling and relentless ground and pound in the division, so Aldo probably didn't want to risk Frankie getting on top of him in the second fight, hence why he didn't rely on the low kicks too much, which worked in his favor. Aldo is typically very careful with kicking wrestlers like Edgar, Mendes, or Lamas.

Yes, but fighting your way back to your feet saps a lot of energy, which has always been a concern for Aldo. It was just a safer bet to Keep the leg kicks to a minimum with guys like Edgar.
This. And Aldo trying to keep Frankie guessing.

What a fight though. That 1st fight was great

I mean maybe he does not want to go to ground. sorry

Just because you notice a fighter fading doesn't mean that he's losing. Aldo was physically slowing and fading as the rounds progressed, more so than even what's normal in my opinion. Even a completely drained Aldo should beat the shit out of Hominick, Hominick was never even a good fighter he got his title shot off beating George Roop and Leonard Garcia....Hominick was never a top 20 Featherweight. Aldo visibly gassed in the later rounds of the first Edgar fight and the second Mendes fight too. Aldo has been conserving energy and taking a more reserved, defensive approach to fighting since adapting to 5 round championship fights because of his cardio which has been apparent in many of his fights like vs Korean Zombie, Kenny Florian, Frankie Edgar II etc.

Also I already addressed this with another poster on the first page in detail so go look at that because you respond to this.

People for some reason don't think of Holloway as a kicker but in recent years he kicks a lot more often than Aldo does....He hurt Pettis with a body kick, he dropped Bermudez with a spinning hook kick, he clipped Conor with a head kick, he dropped Will Chope with a turning side kick...He kicks often, he has a fairly well rounded and skilled kicking game.

I wasn't saying otherwise. I was just saying that he also gets hit with leg kicks a lot. Watch him vs. stephens or Lamas. Both were landing numerous unanswered leg kicks against Max, so I think Aldo should definitely try.

Everybody seem to believe and expect, when predicting an Aldo's fight outcome, that he's going to rip his opponents leg, wear him, take his mobility, using his nasty low kicks.

Said that, question is:
Why Aldo barely used his leg kicks against Frankie Edgar? I mean, his first leg kick was a single one (hard by the way) at the end of the 3rd round!!

Why he didn't used more leg kicks against a fighter like Edgar (who's fight game is based on his footwork)?

Against Holloway, he would fight just as a counter puncher?

jesus dude. frankie is a elite mma wrestler who will take u down and keep you there if he catches a kick. so smart game plan is to outbox him if you can . aldo can outbox him so he did.
he will kick max as max has reach on him and not a takedown threat

I wasn't saying otherwise. I was just saying that he also gets hit with leg kicks a lot. Watch him vs. stephens or Lamas. Both were landing numerous unanswered leg kicks against Max, so I think Aldo should definitely try.

Oh, I wasn't even responding to you directly despite quoting you. I just wanted to give more observations on the fight and respect your opinion more than most peoples on here.

Definitely, Max is often heavy on his lead leg. He's a dynamic and technical striker but he's still a pressure fighter who likes to plant himself with a wide stance when he throws combinations regularly. A tricky thing about Max is, he can plod forward and plant himself to throw strikes like a conventional fighter but he can also bound forward with a series of attacks kind of like we see with Karateka's in Thompson, Kyoji, Machida etc. It's very interesting.

Don't think so. Aldo had plenty of chances (5 rounds) to score leg kicks, but he never used them.

And Aldo has the TDD and the ability to get up if taken down. And leg kicks would take away Edgar's mobility, and TD chances, with some leg kicks.
Exactly, he showed that he doesn't need leg kicks to beat Edgar.

This is Aldo when not fighting a wrestling based fighter. Lots of combos with leg kicks. That´s what he´s gonna do to Max.

aldo-sets-up-leg-kicks-lamas.gif

movement+4.gif

Brutal. Hopefully we'll see more of this against Holloway.

Just because you notice a fighter fading doesn't mean that he's losing. Aldo was physically slowing and fading as the rounds progressed, more so than even what's normal in my opinion. Even a completely drained Aldo should beat the shit out of Hominick, Hominick was never even a good fighter he got his title shot off beating George Roop and Leonard Garcia....Hominick was never a top 20 Featherweight. Aldo visibly gassed in the later rounds of the first Edgar fight and the second Mendes fight too. Aldo has been conserving energy and taking a more reserved, defensive approach to fighting since adapting to 5 round championship fights because of his cardio which has been apparent in many of his fights like vs Korean Zombie, Kenny Florian, Frankie Edgar II etc.

Also I already addressed this with another poster on the first page in detail so go look at that because you respond to this.

Are you Aldos' brother, trainer, or just a close friend? I'm assuming you are one of those, as you know more about Aldo, than Aldo himself. Do you train at Nova Uniao ? My bet is your a nerd that reads the stats., and make your assumptions that way. Sherdog forums and mma junkie always bitch about the Great Aldo

Are you Aldos' brother, trainer, or just a close friend? I'm assuming you are one of those, as you know more about Aldo, than Aldo himself. Do you train at Nova Uniao ? My bet is your a nerd that reads the stats., and make your assumptions that way. Sherdog forums and mma junkie always bitch about the Great Aldo

You're right I'm just a nerd that reads statistics. You really put me in my place. :rolleyes:

People like you are extremely ironic. You're on every forum, on every comment section, yet you act as if you're exceptionally superior. You offer no actual discussion, you're bitter, presumptuous and mean. When you try to insult people, to anyone with an IQ over 80 it just looks like you're self projecting.

Back